1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

No dates on sixtels (1/6th) kegs

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by admiral1, Mar 18, 2013.

1. admiral1

admiral1 Member

Has anyone else got a bad sixtel of beer? I've only been burned twice ( and both times were replaced with no problem) but lately it seems breweries aren't putting dates on kegs. Both times I was burned was quite awhile ago, but one keg was over 5 months old (by brewery records) not listed on keg, at least that I could find.. Needless to say, this was skunk and I NEVER went back to that distributor. Last time was last year and distributor couldn't have been nicer, but it is a pain. Anyone else have this problem and if there is a key to find when it is actually kegged (besides printed), please fill me iin.

Thanks
  2. Timmush

Timmush Member

Do you mean the beer was skunked? In a keg?
    mikehartigan and EgadBananas like this.
  3. EgadBananas

EgadBananas Member

Yea, you need light to skunk a beer and that just ain't happening in a keg.

As for dating, I've always seen printed dates on the keg collars, but I suppose that depends on the brewer. Speaking of which, it might be a good idea to divulge what brewery these kegs are from...maybe someone is familiar with how they date or code them.
  4. slentz

slentz Member

Honestly, I won't buy a keg if it doesn't have a date on it. Furthermore, if its a hoppy ale I wont buy it if its more than 4 or 5 weeks from kegging date. It's just not worth the risk of getting a crappy keg.
    organicbrewer likes this.
  5. mikehartigan

mikehartigan Member

Just to be clear -- I assume you didn't mean to blame the brewery for the presumably old beer. While the brewery could, indeed, be the culprit, I'd be more inclined to point the finger at the distributor or, even more likely, the retailer.
  6. EgadBananas

EgadBananas Member

Of course I didn't. Nothing I said hinted at the brewer being at fault. Merely I was suggesting that some brewers may use an uncommon method of dating/coding their kegs that someone else might be familiar with.
  7. jesskidden

jesskidden Member

They are "at fault" for not dating their product in an easy to interpret method. The OP didn't say if the PA distributor was just a retail distributor or the "importing distributor (wholesaler)" for that beer's brewing company, but if the kegs are meant for sale to retail customers and not just distributor-serviced bars, the keg dates should be obvious and legible to customers and retailers.
  8. EgadBananas

EgadBananas Member

Yes. If this and if that.
  9. cpferris

cpferris Member

I have an offshoot question somewhat related. I go through alot of 1/6 barrels...most of which need to be ordered by my local shop. Do you guys actually have your local shop check dates from the distributor BEFORE you decide to order (assuming you are not buying direct from the brewery)?

Lets say you are looking for a specialty IPA keg that needs to be special ordered. You have the beer shop check with the distributor and the distributor states the kegs are dated 4/2/2013 (approx 2 weeks old). You place and order and when you go to pick up the keg, you see that the date is actually 2/15/2013 (approx 8 weeks old). Would you reject the keg?

I have struggled with this one...one hand, I would say yes, because I specifically ordered based on information provided by the distributor. On the flipside, I really appreciate the lengths my beer shop goes to in order to get me these kegs of special release items. While I know it is not their fault, I often worry if it would strain the relationship between the retailer and the distributor if a specialty order was rejected by the retailed. Especially when most breweries will give a 3 month shelf life on an IPA. So by the distributors standard, the keg is still fresh.

Thoughts?