1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

No more Bud/Miller/Coors at my local Costco

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Dchlocal, Feb 5, 2013.

1. I was at my local Costco today and noticed a sign. I should have taken a picture of it but it said in more words then this is they will not be carrying any more Coors, Miller or Bud products. It said something about them not being able to give their customers the lowest price possible. It doesn't matter to me but what does this mean? I also was surprised to see the Firestone Walker 24 bottle mixed pack with Velvet Merlin, Pale 31, DBA and 805. I am so hoping this means more floor space for craft beer. Anyone else seeing this at their Costco?
    MilkManX and brewbetter like this.
  2. coachdicarlo

coachdicarlo Initiate (0) Missouri Apr 20, 2012

Wow. This would be fantastic. Probably not so good for the bottle shops though.
  3. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

If this is true it is amazingly great news!
    brewbetter likes this.
  4. einhorn

einhorn Savant (345) California Nov 3, 2005

Just guessing that it has to do with wanting to have their own case size. In many states, liquor laws require posting of prices, which mean that EVERY store in a certain area (usually county) receives the same pricing for a certain SKU. In order to undercut the other guys, they need a lower priced and unusual case size which no other retailer is supposed to have access to.
    jmccullough108 likes this.
  5. Dtapeski

Dtapeski Aficionado (185) Colorado Oct 26, 2012

Often times situations like this are a "shot across the bow" to tell the brand/s to get their pricing in line or lose the business. Would not be surprised if this is the case.
    beergurujr likes this.
  6. So what... on that matter... the Kirkland Branded "craft beer" aint bad for mass produced swill for parties. Usually at $20 a case. I try to buy it for parties when there would usually be only a BMC product. Who knows who is going to like it and explore more craft beers of the style.
    Redrover likes this.
  7. It will be important to hear whether other Coscos are doing the same thing. Then we'll know if something's up.
  8. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

I'll check at my brand new Cosco in Sun Prairie, WI.
  9. 'tis true, or as true as an internet factoid can be. Pictures of the notice popped up in my FB feed over the weekend. If I can find it i'll repost.
    luwak likes this.
  10. bbpro47

bbpro47 Savant (275) New Jersey Mar 8, 2011

found this on google

[​IMG]
    jwjon1, FishAndBeer, pudgym29 and 7 others like this.
  11. This made me think. I've thought about this before, but I've had just enough Sucks to post about it.

I know we all hate BMC. Their beers are terrible. You wouldn't catch me dead buying any of it--I have reliable access to Narragansett, so there's no need for me to turn to BMC for AAL. But should we really be treating every damn big-beer loss as a craft-beer gain? We belong to a niche market. I'm sure there's a more technical term for it, but we consume a product made by craftspeople. Were this to become a huge industry on a comparable scale to BMC, wouldn't more Business and Management majors decide to enter the beer "game"? Wouldn't the whole thing suffer immensely if the brewers who happen to be businessmen were, in time, replaced by businessmen who happen to be brewers?

I know Lagunitas and SN have to make a living just the same as Pretty Things or Uintas or what have you. I know it's absolutely awesome to give someone a real beer and see the eureka all over the person's face; I know it's awesome to see people wake up and get into real beer. But the way I look at it, BMC is here to stay and craft beer caters to a niche market and I see no problem with this. I was sad to hear they bought out GI and I can't decide whether I'm angry at or amused by Black Crown, but this mentality of wanting to see craft be huge gives me reservations.
  12. Basically Costco wants "deals" cut to them for buying large quantities of beer. They usually try to buy a pallet at a time, and work out discounts directly with the breweries, not the local distributors. Believe it or not, but BMC do care about the freshness of their products, and as a result of these "pallet drops" alot of beer tends to go out of date before it is sold. I think this incident is more about BMC not cutting Costo a price break because they really don't sell that much beer when compared to grocery chain's beer sales.

I work for SweetWater Brewing Co. and, in most cases, we choose not to do business with wholesale stores due to the reasons I mentioned above.

Cheers!

Edit: hey Droogins, enjoying some Sucks as well!
    jimmy666, beerme411, acevenom and 3 others like this.
  13. I drained poured every single bottle after I tried each one. Anyone know the supplier? Wouldn't be surprised if it was Karl Strauss...
  14. To us - it's horrible.

To a BMC drinker - it's a gateway beer.

I remember that I got interested in craft beer because of... cough.... Blue Moon.
  15. The list price needs to be the same but they can offer discounts (to every account) that only Costco or giant retailers with warehouses can meet. I.e, 500 case deals. Problem is, most grocery and liquor stores (Rite Aid, CVS, etc..) already buy those huge deals and have scans and partner with other products. Costco isn't a fan of not having special treatment and they get angry when they see the same products cheaper somewhere else...
  16. Is that the beer that comes with an orange floating in it?
  17. Just bought a $5.99 bomber of Sculpin at Costco in Carson City that had a "best buy date of 11/12"...deals are not always deals.
    harrylee773 likes this.
  18. Who wants to bet that this is to get public opinion on their side for when they try to get states to pass laws allowing them to buy beer straight from the breweries and skip the distributor tier. Next you'll see signs that say, "in order for us to get the best prices for your BMC we need you to contact your state legislature and voice your support for bill xxxx-xxx"
    mychalg9, antzman and beertunes like this.
  19. Gordon Biersch and F. X. Matt - "San Jose, CA" and "Utica, NY" - the clues since they use dba's.
    MilkManX and OneBeertoRTA like this.
  20. A long time ago, and a few thousand beers in the past... Yep.
  21. Thanks. I picked up mine in So Cal. So probably Gordon Biersch?

The Amber tasted like Red Trolley which was not a good sign...
  22. Schmuck82

Schmuck82 Initiate (0) Texas Nov 13, 2008

If people want to drink BMC, fine, more craft available for me. Don't see what's so great about this.
    EyePeeAyBryan likes this.
  23. Costco tends to be one of the country's largest retailers of just about anything that they decide to sell. Their entire model is based on minimal selection and incredibly massive volume. Basically, having your product chosen for sale by Costco is extremely valuable, but it comes with a cost - Costco doesn't want you undercutting the pricing deal they strike with you. If you sell your goods cheaper elsewhere and Costco finds out, they will stop carrying your product. Many large brands have tested it and gotten promptly removed from Cosco shelves.

I'm guessing this is what happened here - Costco caught the BMC brands selling their stuff off to Walmart or some other store at a cheaper price.
    gjahn123 likes this.
  24. That's almost never the case. The cost of acquisition is pretty damn close at all the big chains and club stores who buy in bulk, but Costco's advantage is that their revenue is predominantly drawn from annual memberships. They will run at a far lower (often single digit) margin than everyone else. That is until crazy places like Total Wine started bringing Loss Leaders to the beer/wine/spirits world.

Costco also likes to flex muscle with "We aren't accepting price this year." That doesn't work well given they buy at the highest volume deal levels and COGS go up for suppliers every year. Coke was the test case two years back. They wanted to take price, Costco said no and booted them. Unfortunately, name brands that draw customers such as Coke had Costco back peddling and begging for them to come back.

Beer is one of those products that never had draw in Costco. It wasn't bringing people to their stores. The BMC consumer was one of the few that Costco could do without, pain free.
    mychalg9 likes this.
  25. 1.) I think this is great and would love to see more stores do it.

2.) Does this really mean EVERY BMC product, including BCBS?

3.) I doubt this last forever. I can't imagine places that sell beer do well when the oust the nations favorite beers.
  26. ilikebeer03

ilikebeer03 Savant (355) Texas Oct 17, 2012

I'd take that deal.
  27. shand

shand Advocate (645) Florida Jul 13, 2010

I doubt they'd be landing pallets of BCBS anyway.
  28. I wouldn't, seeing how you could buy a fresh 6er for less $/oz
  29. I see. I actually have never even seen a Costco, are they a "bulk" buying store?
  30. einhorn

Not in California. Same price for same SKU in same county. No break discounts.
  31. There are no price structures?
  32. Dont buy beer at Costco (or Walmart)
    Support your local bottle shops.
  33. rholmes

rholmes Zealot (95) Florida Sep 11, 2012

I watched the MSNBC documentary on Costco recently since my mother is an employee there. I forget all of the specifics of it, but basically they do not sell anything at more than a 15% markup. I'm assuming they couldn't get it at a low enough price to stay under this markup amount.
  34. shand

shand Advocate (645) Florida Jul 13, 2010

Yeah, they're a warehouse store, and all of the beer they sell they get in full pallet form, and typically are sold to consumers by the case, with some exceptions.
  35. coachdicarlo

coachdicarlo Initiate (0) Missouri Apr 20, 2012

Basically the same thing as Sam's. it's a wholesale club
  36. einhorn

No, officially prices must be posted 30 days before they go into effect, new products 10 days beforehand.

No rules for cider or wine.
  37. Truth here. We sell beer at the same price regardless of your level of retail (grocery, convenience, package liquor, etc) and the big box stores are very selective of what they will carry. We refuse to sell beer cheaper to Costco and SAMs knowing damn well we can sell beer elsewhere for full price. Fuck them trying to screw over the local distributor on beer prices... You think ABI is cutting us a deal just to sell to Costco, one of two places that does nothing to help us...
    beergurujr, frazbri and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  38. kcp85

kcp85 Aficionado (200) Missouri Sep 7, 2012

I agree, however I bought a case of SN Pale Ale for $23 at Costco. Couldn't pass that up.
  39. Does every thread that BMC is brought up in have to also have BCBS brought up? Really? Not to mention that no one has had AB/InBev BCBS yet
    evilc and franklinn like this.