1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

No more Bud/Miller/Coors at my local Costco

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Dchlocal, Feb 5, 2013.

1. I think it is worth mentioning frequently. Many people contradict themselves all the time on this site; like when you see someone say "BMC is the devil!" (but they have BCBS Cherry Rye in their wants). Stuff like that is frustrating and I think it's worth brining up such contradictions.
    Beerandraiderfan and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  2. BMC refers to the actual beers. Not the companies brewing them. But the definition has been muddled it seems. In any case, we get it, BA is full of hypocrites who hate BMC when it's convenient to hate them. But c'mon, GI made a quality product pre buyout, until the product suffers there's gonna be people on BA that want it. Hell, I don't have access to it, I got some in trades recently, I hate AB/InBev but I'm gonna try BCBS because I'm curious about it. I really don't see the problem, but I think it may be because GI has limited distro to me, I think alot of BA's have similar shopping habits as me and I know the way the bottle shops near me are run
  3. djaeon

djaeon Advocate (725) California Oct 2, 2006

Last weekend at least 75% of the beer space at my local Costco was BMC products. If this is true in San Diego county, I hope it means that space will now be occupied by better beer. At least until the BMC people strike a deal with the Costco people.
  4. bushycook

bushycook Aficionado (215) Virginia Jan 31, 2011

I would love to have that Firestone Walker mixed case available to me.
  5. vacax

vacax Advocate (620) California Jun 3, 2008

I'd like to see more consistency here with what is available. Thave have toyed with Stone and Firestone products near me but they have them one week and they're gone the next. Perhaps pulling big beer would allow this.
  6. terence

terence Savant (310) California Mar 18, 2012

I saw the same sign here in the San Francisco Bay Area.
  7. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

Will have to see if the craft selection expands at my local Costco, I hate to take business away from my local bottle shops but their case prices are too good to pass up. I can't see them going much beyond the basics though, and the occasional seasonal/special, they can't afford to have stagnant floor space.
  8. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (765) California Jan 31, 2005

Costco Rules!!! I'm biased cuz I worked for the company for nearly 15 years. But having said that, they like to offer lowest prices--consistently. And the MACRO's run somany different promotional prices that Costco can be "beat" sometimes by some "special" on some obscure packaging difference. You know, like Bud Lite, "Now in the Baker's Dozen Pack for Valentine's Day!" <<screamed over really cheesy faux metal music>>

Costco dumped one of the big soda companies a few times in the past too.
  9. When I see people right BMC I think it means AB-inbev and MillerCoors as a whole. I agree that the definition has been muddled, but that's the one I am working from. I understand people's desires to try BCBS, it is an excellent beer. Nevertheless, you can no say you hate BMC and then say you're going to buy BCBS anyway. If you buy it then you can't hate BMC. So when people say stuff like that, I tend to call it out. Ignorance is bliss for a lot of folks and if they cover their eyes when they buy BCBS they get to forget about how that money is going to go to a company that will make it harder for smaller breweries to get shelf-space. That is frustrating to me.
  10. Problem is, Costco's merchandising is not the same all across the country. It seems like each store has the ability to choose for itself what it carries. The nearest Costco in Danbury, CT just started carrying beer, wine & booze but their beer selection, last time I checked was all macro and Kirkland brands. The only other time I saw a craft beer in a Costco in NY, it was well past it's freshness date. Remember this - in most cases, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!!
  11. Highbrow

Highbrow Savant (475) California Jan 7, 2011

and if you went to the back of the SF store did you notice they had a ton of Belgians & Belgian styles .750s before & during the holidays? there's still a select few cases left. the San Ramon location had cases of The Abyss as well.
  12. BigGene

BigGene Initiate (0) Florida Oct 30, 2010

I was watching a story on MSNBC or one of that channels, it was about Costco and how they set there pricing and the philosophy on the number of items they carry. They said a standard grocery store will have 100K different skus, maybe 5 types of ketchup. Well Costco has 25k skus and 1 types of ketchup.

Now to the point of the thread

In another life I was a sales manager for a large wholesale plant nursery, Costco would tell us how much they were willing to pay for each of our products. If we didn't like the price or could not meet it they would not buy from us.

I am almost positive that is what has happened here. Costco said we will pay you this and the BMC boys said no!
  13. JulianC

JulianC Savant (335) Illinois Mar 9, 2012

CostCo is good for session craft brews. The SNPA cases for $23 can not be beat. GI, Pyramid, Two Brothers all have cases available all for under $25 as well. Hopefully we'll see more of this if BMC isn't stocked... although I will be interested to see if GI cases are still there under the BMC "ban" ...o_O
  14. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (400) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

All BCBS is ABInbev BCBS.
  15. This is all pointless is people A) go to quality bottle shops and B) keep trying new beers like they've been doing.
    Lets face it, GI isn't gonna make AB/InBev a ton of money. The craft community isn't like the BMC drinking public. We branch out. I've yet to meet someone who says "I only drink x breweries beer" and is a craft drinker. So will InBev take away some shelf space from the small guys at super markets and gas stations? Sure. Will they at bottle shops? I doubt it. Plus the craft community isn't a cash cow, I see what InBev is doing, but even then BCBS is a seasonal that isn't a huge profit grabber. All the complaining about InBev is silly IMO. Go to quality bottle shops and shop there. I can assure you that most companies aren't gonna suffer from this move because of the way the community is
  16. zestd

zestd Savant (320) Idaho Jan 18, 2013

I snagged a case of Deschutes Red Chair for $24. Super fresh too.
  17. that kirkland variety pack looks fantastic though...
  18. I disagree that the craft community won't suffer. Initially they may not, but in the long run, I think they will. But that's a different conversation for a different time.

I agree that craft acquisitions aren't going to be big money makers for Abinbev. However, such acquisitions will draw in the craft dollar that they aren't receiving. They want all money spent on beer spent on their products. Right now they have all the macro drinkers. But the small sliver of craft drinkers, the folks that appreciate artisinal brews and quality ingredients, they don't have. Grabbing craft breweries that are willing to sell, gets that elusive dollar. That's all fine and good, especially as the quality of the beer, such as something like BCBS, is great! Unfortunately, if it drives them to have more of the overall beer market, that could become problematic (as they will have more influence on shipping, distribution, etc.).

Just my two cents and I know many (most) disagree. Nevertheless, ABinbev won't get a dime of my money, even if they make/own the best beer in the world. If you do support them, that's fine, I don't judge you and I understand why yo do support them. Everyone has different purchasing practices.
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  19. jcb7472

jcb7472 Savant (420) Florida Jul 13, 2011

We have a membership to BJ's (wholesale store very similar to Costco and Sam's). They only carry BMC beer, so I never buy beer from there. However, I guess if they started carrying Sierra Nevada or something good, I would consider it. $23 per case would be $3 cheaper than Total Wine and almost $9 cheaper than grocery stores in my area.
  20. jdhende

jdhende Savant (345) Illinois Sep 27, 2010

If costco can keep their inventory fresh I think this can be a pretty big deal. I watched a documentary on costco and their wine buyer is the most powerful wine buyer in the country. Not because of her knowledge, but because of the massive bulk they buy in. If this holds true for quality beers i'm all for getting 24 packs of solid beer for $20-$25.
  21. Dchlocal

Dchlocal Zealot (95) California Jun 1, 2011

The Firestone walker pack was bottled and packed all around January 22. To those that want to try the Kirkland case get it for a party but be warned. It's terrible. Your macro friends might like it but each of the beers had odd flavors that were terrible.
  22. Oddly enough, I don't support them. I've actively refrained from purchasing any Goose Island stuff that California gets and won't purchase any InBev beer. That said, I have a 4 pack of BCBS because of extras I've received in trades. I'm curious to try but I won't purchase them at any point after.

But all that said, I truly don't see the big deal because I think ABInBev made a bad decision acquiring GI. Shock top is the faux craft brands already, and they get good sales. Do BMC drinkers want to venture into Belgians, BA Stouts, IPA's and other styles? 312 is the only one I see being a huge seller but that would essentially eliminate Shock Top. And if GI does convert BMC drinkers to craft, will they stay loyal to GI or like most craft drinkers, will they expand their horizons and cost BMC some money there? I see what BMC is doing, but the more I think about it the more I see it as a bad move. BMC converts some ppl to craft then the move succeeds but costs them money, BMC doesn't convert them, the move doesn't succeed and costs them money.
  23. My point is that BMC isn't trying to convert BMC drinkers into craft drinkers. They are trying to get the beer dollar they currently don't (the craft dollar). Beers like Shock Top or Black Crown are there for macro drinkers that may decide to try something new. Abinbev is just using those beers to make sure their customers dollar stays in their company. The GI acquisition was a genius move in my eyes because it gets what they haven't been able to get" the dollar of the picky craft drinker that demands quality. They got it now and folks on BA have played right into it. They have said, "as long as it tastes good, then I'll buy it." That's music to ABinbev's ears. They know that craft drinkers position taste as the #1 priority. Totally understandable. However, it could be mean trouble for craft drinkers if we don't start asking the question, "is this awesome beer, truly worth it?" I don't think it is. I'd rather drink a slightly inferior beer from a vastly superior company any day of the week.

Also, sorry if I insinuated that you were a BMC supporter. I was saying "if you do support them" with "you" meaning a collective you, anyone that supports them. I should have been clearer.
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  24. Besides BCBS, and that's a seasonal beer that can't possibly be GI's cash cow, how many people buy GI regularly? I doubt we'll see Lolita, Sofie, Juliet at Safeway. We'll see the staples of their product (312, Honkers) and occasionally see Matilda. And even then, I doubt a lot of craft drinkers will purchase them exclusively, or even purchase them regularly. If that trend hasn't started now, I doubt it'll start anytime soon. If anything they will see some money, obviously, but I think the potential shift of curious BMC drinkers moving away is gonna cost them in the end. As craft drinkers, there doesn't seem to be a loyalty in the same vein that BMC drinkers have. And the beers that are worth grabbing from GI, those ain't cash cows, or else they'd be made year round before the acquisition
  25. I hope you're right, but I have my doubts. I believe there are already plans for BCBS to go year round and to be more widely distributed.
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  26. Dtapeski

Dtapeski Aficionado (185) Colorado Oct 26, 2012

Interesting. I really would have thought the mindset within their company would be how to capitalize on the craft segment growth rather than how to deter it from happening.
    Thanks for sharing that nugget.
  27. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

No thanks. Most local shops are ripoffs. BevMo ftw.
  28. evilc

Or a case of Stone IPA @ $25. Nearly $1 per bottle. SammyJaxxx would spend $40 on the case at a local shop instead tho!
  29. evilc

2 guys do it consistently, both are in here. They do it in every single thread, even if unrelated.
  30. terence

terence Savant (310) California Mar 18, 2012

I did notice more Belgians & Belgian styles .750s. The South SF Airport Costco had Duvel in two bottle boxes. They even had a few cases of SN Celebration Ale remaining. I picked up one to let age for a year to two.
  31. It still can't possibly be their cash cow. Not with the price point and the cost to make it. Plus beer geeks aren't as big a consumer base as we wish we were. Alot of BCBS would just sit because we can only buy so much
    Providence likes this.
  32. I don't keep track if its the same 2 guys but now that you mention it, it probably is. Every opportunity it's brought up. It's obsessive
  33. Perhaps. But if there was less barrel aged stouts calling for our attention and our money (like KBS or Yeti) available on the shelves then we may divert that money to BCBS and buy more of it. I'm not saying Abinbev can stop Founders from distributing KBS, as Foudner's is pretty big. But they may be able to take measures that impede a smaller brewery that happened to make a great BA beer from distributing. Lots of speculation and conspiracy theory, I know....
  34. evilc

FTFY
    Johnnyramirez likes this.
  35. EvilC, I could send you an autographed photo of myself if you'd like. You follow me so closely I think it might be something you're interested in.

I was just accused by another poster of constantly talking about how I love lagers. I also had some folks joke in the home brew forum about how many questions I ask related to the "brew in a bag" method. So which one am I? The guy who always talks about lagers, the guy who always talks about Inbev or the guy who is always asking about the Brew in a bag method?

Here's a thought, maybe you just recognize my comments on Abinbev more because you disagree with them? Or do you think I am trolling the boards constantly making attempts to spew rhetoric and the mods and the Bros. are missing it buy you, alone, are picking up on it? Give me a break.

Also, I believe there's a function where you can ignore someone. Perhaps you should ignore me.
  36. Highbrow

Highbrow Savant (475) California Jan 7, 2011

i think they may have intended this. but one thing some of us recognized a long ways off, big barrel house & all, the resources they appear to have taken for granted are not nearly as infinite as they appear to believe. it's one thing to increase capacity, capacity doesn't matter much when you ignore or are totally unaware your supply source is decreasing it's own product availability.

i don't see Costco as an immediate threat. they deal in quantity. craft deals more so in quality. what you see in Costco, when it comes to serious craft items, generally is personal interest through that location's own individual buyer. i.e. the store's buyer really likes the Abyss or has friends that can't shut up about it. he/she strikes a deal & that (1) location gets a small allocation. in my mind, Deschutes can not produce enough Abyss to make it a Kirkland-like product whereas it's available in bulk at most... or even many Costco locations. i don't see this affecting bottle shops.
  37. This won't happen anytime soon. You're looking at it from a deeply pessimistic, borderline unreal, POV.
    evilc likes this.
  38. "This won't happen anytime soon" implies that it could happen. I don't want it to, whether it's in my lifetime or in a hundred lifetimes. Additionally, I think it is more realistic than pessimistic to think that a company that takes measures to control the beer market will continue to take measures to control the beer market.
  39. As small as the craft consumer market is, even if InBev stopped alot of small breweries from distributing, the craft market would still chase quality. Look at HF, Alpine, KRBC, Alchemist, Lawson's, Bruery (which really has distro for a tiny portion of their beer), and I can keep going. If distro was a deal breaker with craft consumers then KRBC wouldn't have been a shit show, the BA Abraxas release as well. Craft consumers aren't like BMC drinkers, quality matters, not convenience. They can try to control it all they want, but your conspiracy theories neglect a few key points, namely that craft drinkers aren't that loyal and prefer quality over convenience.