1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.

Nobi Public House Bottle Share

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by jbeezification, Feb 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbeezification

jbeezification Savant (415) Texas Jun 6, 2012

Tall Asian guy named Charles who was likely wearing a ball cap. I've never seen him not wearing one.

2. mattchow

mattchow Savant (380) Texas Jun 24, 2012

Definitely not him lol. I'm horrible with names too, although I remember every beer I had haha.

3. Ford

Ford Savant (490) Texas Sep 8, 2012

I left before clean up too.. so next time I'll plan better, though I had already been there longer than planned...

So next time I will try and be more helpful...

4. BruceBruce

BruceBruce Initiate (0) Texas Dec 4, 2011

5. cfrobrew

cfrobrew Advocate (550) Texas Oct 9, 2012

Good times, I mostly swiped the bottles for home brewing. There were some selfish motives :) I just bottled my bourbon barrel aged breakfast stout yesterday, that should be a nice addition to the next bottle share. Next time we should probably just toss a couple bucks each down at the beginning for tips. Too easy to cheap out at the end.

6. Show

Show Aficionado (235) Texas Jul 21, 2011

the way we do it at the houston tastings is everyone buys a beer or food and tips heavy, that way the people working the bar don't seem to mind us being all that loud and rambunctious...

jbeezification likes this.
  7. jbeezification

I ordered food and tipped 100% which is not what I would expect for everybody to do but I know some people might cheap out. Even if they don't this is a bar I frequent and would never want to burn that bridge.

As for the monthly tasting when is a good weekend that won't interfere with Houston tastings? I was thinking the first Sunday of the month or the fourth.

8. Clonies720

Clonies720 Initiate (0) Texas Oct 24, 2012

Is there another one coming up soon? Clonies720 has a gratuitous amount of beers to share.

9. StArnoldFan

StArnoldFan Advocate (655) Texas Dec 28, 2012

10. rainerschuhsler

rainerschuhsler Savant (360) Texas May 17, 2012

Sunday, April 7th?

If so, I'm in. I'm not sure what I'll bring yet. I'll decide on 2 or 3 things after this weekend.

11. StArnoldFan

I thought we decided at the 1st one we would continue doing it on the 1st Sunday of every month. Somebody correct it if I'm wrong.

12. Clonies720

....Carpool? :D

13. Ford

April 7th would be the first Sunday then..I'm pretty sure that was the decision.

14. jbeezification

Changed my columns, I will bring something and hopefully by then this trade I'm working on gets done.

15. cfrobrew

16. StArnoldFan

Bump. I added a Black Crack to what I'll be bringing. People need to get on this spread sheet so we know who all is coming. JBeezy have you talked to Channing to remind him that we're going to continue doing this?

17. BruceBruce

Just a thought from the outside of this tasting group, not knowing what everyone is bringing is the BEST part. You never know what is about to be pulled out of the bag. Having a spreadsheet defeats half the fun of it all, people will start only showing up when there are crazy beers being brought instead of pissing off their wifes/gf to go every month because you have something to share (or not) or maybe someone else brings in something crazy. I barley even drink crazy beers by myself anymore because I want to save them for the guys who have shared so much with me. I would drop the whole lets tell each other what we are going to bring, if two people have the same beer let one of them try to outdo the guy next month.

rainerschuhsler and Show like this.
  18. jbeezification

I'll talk to him this afternoon. It won't be an issue and I'll let him know we want to make it a regular thing from now on. I think Sundays are a safe bet.

And Bruce makes a good point about the surprise factor, the spreadsheet is good to find out whos all in but its not necessary. I am in and I am bringing something good.

StArnoldFan likes this.
  19. StArnoldFan

I agree with the spreadsheet idea above but the reason I wanted to keep it going at this point is to just make sure we have people that are going to be there. This Nobi share is so new I felt like we needed to keep track to make sure we are going to have a full table. Once it becomes a regular thing, throw the spreadsheet out the window.

20. SeaSparrow

SeaSparrow Aficionado (160) Texas Sep 4, 2010

I agree that in the early stages the spreadsheet is nice. You don't necessarily have to put what you're going to bring on the spreadsheet. I literally grabbed something from the cellar on the way to the tasting. I did use the spreadsheet to make my choice though...I wanted to bring something that added variety... I will try and make it again, but will have to leave early.

21. cfrobrew

Fine if you guys dont like my spreadsheet Im not coming! haha Whatever you guys want is fine with me. Ill be out of town on the 7th so Ill have to catch you guys at the next one. Im headed to Boston so Ill try to sneak something special back for next time. It'll be a mystery though.... ;)

Ford likes this.
  22. Ford

Sadly, I can't make it this time. My daughter has a soccer game at 2:45 Sunday afternoon in Baytown. Love watching her play soccer.. just wish it was earlier or on Saturday!

Have fun and I'm marking the first Sunday in May on my calendar now.

23. rainerschuhsler

What time is this happening?

24. Clonies720

Consider me. In.

That's what he said.

Think they'd let me wheel in a cooler full of beer? :D

rainerschuhsler likes this.
  25. jbeezification

This guy. I swear Clonies is trying to unload his whole cellar for BA.

Probably 330. I haven't set a time with Nobis yet, I'm working a lot this week but I will go in tonight or tomorrow sometime and let Channing know.

rainerschuhsler and Clonies720 like this.
  26. Clonies720

I just might bring a few or all of that list I posted. Cuz so far I haven't had the best response to the beer tasting thread... Unless people are just sitting by and biding their time? Which I've seen people do and don't understand.

27. jbeezification

People are likely doing that. You gotta understand people are going to be a little timid to go to somebodys house who they don't already know and drink a ton of beers with the guy. It sounds like a good way to make friends and beer buds but its hard to get that initial group together. I strongly suggest you attend a few bottle shares, meet people face to face and then host something maybe mid summer. Chances are you may meet some dudes you don't even want at your house around your dog or whatever. :D

28. Clonies720

Yeah. Probably right. In that case, forget the tasting at my house! And gentleman, bring some boxes or something, because I'm not sure we can finish 32 beers. Most of which are 750ml. lol.

29. rainerschuhsler

Holy crap. I get first dibs! :D

30. Ford

Ha.. ok.. maybe I can make it after soccer..hahaha

Clonies720 and rainerschuhsler like this.
  31. Clonies720

Is Nobi open-space, or have a private room? Looking at Yelp pictures makes me think open space.

32. rainerschuhsler

No private room. And it's smaller than most craft beer bars. I haven't been on a Sunday so I don't know how filled up it gets.

33. cfrobrew

Save some of those Russian River and other fancy sours to give away when I can make it. Its for a good cause, Ill use them to sour my barrel:) Im going out of town for business that morning.

34. Clonies720

I drank my supplication and traded mrkmrk my Consecration. I need to get another one though. I really wanted to try it. But I have plenty of Cantillon and 3 Fonteinen now.

35. SeaSparrow

Last share we got started around 3:00, so I would assume about the same time.

jbeezification - confirm after you talk with Channing.

I'll bring a few good beers. Can't wait to see what Clonies720 has up his sleeves though!

36. Clonies720

4-month old sun-kissed Pliny the Elder :p

37. jbeezification

I spoke with Channing and its all set, I have said 330 for today. I will probably be there around 315 trying to lock down a small section of tables like last time so if anybody wants to help with that I'm sure we can find something to drink while we wait for the others.

Clonies720 likes this.
  38. SeaSparrow

Sweet my favorite!

I'll meet you there a little early.

39. BruceBruce

I can get as many people together to drink your beer that you want lol

40. BruceBruce

ISO: A ride to clearlake FT: we drink a bunch of beer :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.