1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Noble Ale Works...Royalty DIPA

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by 01Ryan10, Jan 29, 2013.

1. 01Ryan10

01Ryan10 Savant (260) California Sep 10, 2011

Anyone have this yet? I don't see a review for it here. Sorry, it's a TIPA, not DIPA.
  2. HopHead84

HopHead84 Champion (760) California Nov 29, 2006

I have not had it.
    womencantsail likes this.
  3. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

If it's as bad as Naughy Sauce, no thanks.
  4. I went Saturday after the party to have some but most of the beers had blown. I managed a sample of Shotgun which is Royalty with Habanero, which was pretty good but I can't really comment on how the base beer is. I was a little bummed to see as soon as the next day all the beers were on again, I guess they couldn't be bothered to change the kegs after the party.
  5. 01Ryan10

That sucks. Glad to hear they tapped them all back up. I'm going this Friday for my birthday, and I sure hope the current lineup survives until then.

http://www.noblealeworks.com/on-tap/
  6. ryno09

ryno09 Savant (285) California May 1, 2010

*sigh* There's no such thing as a triple IPA...
  7. jpeck13

jpeck13 Aficionado (150) California Apr 28, 2011

I would have to disagree with that, as would Alpine and Russian River.

They are higher in ABV, and generally more sweet because of it. They walk the line between an American Barleywine and a DIPA.
    dcgunman likes this.
  8. ryno09

ryno09 Savant (285) California May 1, 2010

Why call it a triple IPA if you can fit it in either American Barleywine or DIPA categories?
  9. Because the traditional beer style guidelines are constantly being stretched by ever increasingly creative breweries.
    clubarsky91 likes this.
  10. 01Ryan10

Wow! Just wow!

Royalty is really good. I had it on Friday. The mosaic hops used really put this up in the upper echelon of beers for me. Could easily stackup with the 3 of the following that i've had:

PtY
    ExPo
    Citra
    OTB likes this.
  11. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

This is debatable territory. I recommend you go read up on what constitutes the following:

- American Pale Ale
    - IPA
    - Imperial IPA
    - American Barleywine

You will then realize that many Triple IPAs don't actually exist. They are American Barleywines. In fact, many Imperial IPAs (DIPAs) are already in Barleywine territory. And many other beers are also mislabeled/miscategorized, like Zombie Dust (should be an IPA.)

The guidelines are ever-changing, so perhaps a Triple IPA could exist in the future. As it stands, it is not a "real" category by any official means, and Younger is very clearly a barleywine according to BJCP, BA, RB, GABF, competitions, etc.

I'm a huge fan of Mosaic (previously HBC369). It's what made Lagunitas SF Fusion so damn good. A brewery that uses it well deserves some high praise - I'll have to try and score some Royalty later this month.
  12. Srsly

Srsly Aficionado (215) California Mar 21, 2010

do you have any idea if they use Mosaic in Sucks? I recently had Beachwood's Amalgamator, which is largely mosaic according to their description, and it reminded me a whole lot of Sucks. I'll be on the lookout for Royalty too, to see if it has a similar character.
  13. 01Ryan10

As of now, Royalty is a tap room only beer. No bottles, and no growler fills.
  14. Xul

Xul Advocate (500) California May 18, 2008

There are no Mosaic hops in Sucks. However, Sucks does contain Simcoe, of which Mosaic is a direct descendant, so the flavor similarity wouldn't be off base.
  15. Srsly

Srsly Aficionado (215) California Mar 21, 2010

interesting info, thanks!
  16. Xul

If you want to read more about Sucks's hop components, there's a thread going in the Homebrewing forum, including a post from someone who directly contacted Lagunitas.
  17. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

yep, Mosaic is a hybrid of Simcoe and Nugget. Good info about hops here:

HOPS
  18. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (360) California Jul 1, 2009

So is Mosaic the next Citra or go to hop? Had Beachwood's Amalgamator and KRBC's JO w/ Mosaic on cask side by side and both killed. I went back for another growler fill day after Kern trip and it kicked. Wasn't on the board for long. Took Amalgamator to Kern for Citra release for sharing. Bonus, they had JO w/Mosaic on cask on tap. Was nice to compare the hop aroma and taste between the two different brewmaster's. JO w/ Mosaic was in a different world than reg JO. I think they should get together for a collab. I'm going to have to look around for Royality. Is this on draft at the brewery?
  19. OTB

OTB Savant (345) California Sep 2, 2011

I just grabbed some Noble Ale Works Big Whig IPA this weekend, didnt see this one though.

Cheers....
  20. Xul

If not THE next Citra, one of them, yes...between the fact that it's a Simcoe descendant and is referred to as an amped up Citra, it fits pretty nicely with what has been popular the past couple years. HBC 342 (hasn't been named yet, Mosaic was formerly HBC 369) will probably be another one to get some play in the next couple years and is from the same company.

To be fair, I think that's more a reflection of the brewers than the hop - Julian and Kyle are both quite talented with hops, and I think sometimes people pay a bit too much to what hops are being used, rather than how they're being used. Not necessarily you, but a lot of people hype Citra APAs/IPAs/IIPAs just because they have Citra in them, when they may in fact be just average beers. Much like PvW barrels, a certain psychological element beings to enter the equation and color some evaluations of the end product.

It's cool to see brewers being more transparent with the hop varieties they're using and raising awareness about the characteristics of them, but at the same time, it can create some real biases if the context of brewing process is removed.
    HopHead84 and dcgunman like this.
  21. dcgunman

So is this available to homebrewers yet?
  22. Xul

Mosaic? Off the top of my head, I've seen them at FreshHops, Rebel Brewer, and Northern Brewer, they don't seem to be too scarce (yet).
  23. dcgunman

Thank you. I'll have to check more beer. Or the others you mentioned.
  24. dcgunman

Had the Noble Ale Works Royality yesterday at Beachwood BBQ SB. As Sucks kicked, Royality replaced it on the board. Wow! You can taste the Mosaic hops in this monster hopped TIPA coming in at 11%. Mango, grapefruit and tangerines stand out immediately. So this being my third ipa with the new Mosaic hops, I'd say this is newest hop trend for 2013? Some at the bar compared it to Younger. Would be nice to try it side by side. I personally think the color is a little darker than Younger. Taste? Dont remember the taste of Younger since the last time I had Younger was two years ago. But I think Noble has done it again with Royality. With a new and fresher Nobility recipe and Royality now on the board they are stepping their game up. Still haven't tried thier Big Whig IPA. Will have to stop by the tasting room soon. So no growler fills of Royality? Too bad. Would love to take home and compare to Younger.
  25. CenCalMario

CenCalMario Savant (285) California Jan 12, 2009

Royalty will be at the Dbl IPA Fest today @ SFBW... Really looking forward to trying Evan Price's newest concoction...

About the triples and Barleywines coming close....at the dbl ipa fest there are requirements that triples have to meet, the biggest is the SRM of the beer, which cannot be any greater than 8.
  26. OTB

David, Loved the Royalty last night with you guys. I put this up there with some of best TIPA's I have ever had, including PtY. The beers coming out of Noble Ale Works are absolutely delicious and Nobility is now up there as well as far as Citra based DIPA's go. I enjoyed doing the side by side with KRBC Citra, the Heady Topper, Hop Slam and the Smutty Nose Finest Kind,along with the killer IPA's from Beachwood.

Cheers....
  27. OTB

Concur 100%
  28. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

Biggest difference between a TIPA and American Barleywine to me are mouthfeel and final gravity. PtY tastes and feels nothing like a barleywine. It's dry, not sweet, and absolutely no stickiness. Drunk next to Annularity or something, they have almost nothing in common.
    Wowcoolman likes this.
  29. OTB

That's why Royalty is so damn amazing. It drinks more like a DIPA, none of the tell tale sweet sticky attributes so often associated with over done TIPA's or Barley Wines, which I really don't care for.

Cheers...
  30. CenCalMario

CenCalMario Savant (285) California Jan 12, 2009

Royalty is awesome...great beer by Evan at Noble.... I need more!
  31. Great hop profile, but I'm not sure they could have done a worse job hiding the alcohol.
  32. DrtyBvrJuce

DrtyBvrJuce Initiate (0) California Jan 17, 2013

Had this last night at Hammiltons. Fantastic hops...but the malt body trashed this beer. Sweet sticky and way too massive.

This is an american barleywine. 11% but my hunch is its all malt...needs to be dried out. Loved the hops, hated the malt so this beer gets a 'meh' rating and I didn't finish it.
    HopHead84 likes this.
  33. Miruguy

Miruguy Aficionado (215) California Nov 22, 2010

Interesting - I also thought it was slightly malty/sweet, but too dry to even come close to a barleywine (acknowledging that the line between the TIPAs and barleywines is razor thin to begin with). I enjoyed it more than Exponential, but not as much as PTY.
  34. DrtyBvrJuce

DrtyBvrJuce Initiate (0) California Jan 17, 2013

Not in the same league as expo or younger. To me the defining characteristic between a tipa and a barely wine is: Can it be aged. If yes= barley wine, if hops fall apart and there's a crappy malty mess left behind = tipa.

The royalty had a big sweet malt body that would survive the decline in hop profile, but would still he too sweet. After having PtY today, I feel even stronger.
  35. I recently had some 3 year old Expo on tap and it was a disaster...absolutely NOTHING like fresh.
  36. Yeah the 3 year Expo was bad but the 2011 was very tasty. Total orange bomb.