1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Non-spiced pumpkin beers?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Giantspace, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Howdy,

I do not like any bottled pumpkin beers as they have to much spice in them. Not a fan of this. I had a local saison last year made with squash called squaison. Very good and it had a nice winter squash taste to it. Not overpowering at all, very subtle. Are there any other pumpkin or other squash beers bottled that do not have spices? Any with very little spice? I want to taste the pumpkin/squash and not the overpowering spice.

Enjoy

Bigbadboris likes this.
  2. fritts211

fritts211 Savant (285) Tennessee Feb 19, 2011

Interesting, can't think of many off hand. Do the spices actively bother you in and of themselves, or are you just looking for more balance overall?

I thought schlafly pumpkin had a good balance, but the spices were definitely discernible.

3. Not likely, you'll find the opposite (spices sans actual pumpkin)....
    You've had Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin? That's the only one I can say doesn't taste like straight up liquid pumpkin pie. It's out of PA. Williamsburg Alewerks Pumpkin is also pretty good though possibly not distributed in PA.

4. New Holland Ichabod.. I think this beer sucks because there is a lack of spices, but it's a pumpkin beer that you might enjoy.

5. The only pumpkin beer i have found to showcase the actual pumpkin is punkn by uinta real nice roasty gourd flavor low abv but a solid beer for sure. and pumpking definitely has spice in it. because of this i brewed an imperial pumpkin last year that was most certainly showcased the pumpkin first and foremost roasting 6lbs of organic colorado pumpkin for a 5 gallon batch

Neorebel, smutty33 and Chrixsus like this.
  6. Brenden

Brenden Champion (815) Ohio Feb 25, 2008

Smuttynose pumpkin would fit the bill. Some don't like it because they just get the pumpkin flesh but no spices. It's also very widely accessible.

7. Genuine

Genuine Savant (465) Connecticut May 7, 2009

Smuttynose Pumpkin is very good if you're not looking for a lot of spices - mild but great pumpkin flavor. One of my fall favorites for sure. Pumking is my go-to any other time.

Neorebel and smutty33 like this.
  8. Third Smutty. Also, if you like hops, the Smuttynose is hoppier than the rest.

SunDevilBeer, Neorebel and smutty33 like this.
  9. Sounds like you want natural pumpkin flavor and muted spices (no such thing as a spice-less pumpkin beer)

All the following are mild pumpkin ales:
    1. Smuttynose
    2. Long Trail Brewing Company
    3. Sarnac
    4. Post Road
    5. Buffalo Bill's
    6. New Holland Icabod

IMO all the above beers are pretty dull...

10. hey5hitgoose

hey5hitgoose Savant (305) Illinois Feb 28, 2013

non....spice? :confused:

11. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

If you dont like a MAJOR component of pumpkin beers... why would you try and drink them? That's like asking for an IPA that isn't hoppy, or a stout that isn't roasty.

12. I actually like/prefer this beer over beers like Pumking because of the "lack of spices".

buddha5050 likes this.
  13. Wild Onion Pumpkin Ale might fit your bill. It tastes like raw pumpkin flesh and not much else. I could not detect any spices at all in this brew. I personally don't like it, but it could be what your looking for.

Chrixsus likes this.
  14. Chrixsus

Chrixsus Savant (325) Illinois Dec 13, 2011

While Pumking is my #1 pumpkin beer, there is enough spice in it to disqualify it based on OP. The same goes for New Holland Ichabod and Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale...good brews, but more on the spice end of the spectrum. Top "non/low-spice-real-pumpkin-tasting" brews for me are:
    • Timmermans Pumpkin Lambicus
    • Jolly Pumpkin La Parcela
    • Uinta Punk'n
    • Woodchuck Private Reserve Pumpkin Cider
    • Rogue Farms Pumpkin Patch Ale
    • Dogfish Head Punkin Ale
    • Great Lakes Pumpkin Ale (on tap at lucky bars only...no bottles I know of in distribution)

15. Chrixsus

Chrixsus Savant (325) Illinois Dec 13, 2011

Hope they brew it this Fall 'cause I'm dying to try it. Now all OP has to do is move to The Chi and he can try it, too...;)

16. Cambridge Brewing Co. Great Pumpkin is subtle on the spices

HoppyHeader, Patrick and smutty33 like this.
  17. rhartogsq

rhartogsq Savant (330) Virginia Jun 18, 2010

18. It says you're in PA so if you happen to find yourself in the Central PA area check out Selin's Grove's pumpkin beer. Very nice pumpkin flavor but no spices. Good stuff.

19. LOL!

20. The reason why most of the responses indicate few if any pumpkin beers without spices is that pumpkin in and of itself has very little flavor, especially uncooked pumpkin. I challenge anyone who responds that this or that pumpkin beer has a lot of pumpkin flavor to get a pumpkin, cut it open, cut out a hunk of pumpkin flesh, taste it, and then say it has much if any flavor.

To get pumpkin to have flavor, it has to be cooked. And trying to brew with cooked pumpkin creates a huge mess.

prdrums77 and maltmaster420 like this.
  21. SaintJonah

SaintJonah Aficionado (230) Ohio Feb 11, 2009

See, I totally agree with the Smuttynose recommendations here. All the reviews for it talk about the spices taking the lead...but I never got that. I don't care for the "pumpkin pie in bottle" taste you're describing either! Smutty is great as it just seems like a hoppy, pumpkiny, beery bottle of wonderful. God damn...is out yet? I gots ta gits me summa dat!

smutty33 likes this.
  22. If I don't drink pumpkin beer for a while, I get the spice notes from Smuttynose. I didn't care for the beer all that much until recently when I hadn't had a pumpkin beer for a while. Tried it and actually enjoyed it somewhat.

IMO, if you want pumpkin with no spice, go with Brooklyn Post Road. Quite frankly, I don't like the beer at all because it does nothing for me, but if you want the pumpkin style with zero spice. This is it. That and Pumple Drumkin.

23. lester619

lester619 Savant (375) Wisconsin Apr 17, 2009

I just finished a bottle of Tyrenena's version of pumpkin beer. It has a nice mellow sweetish flavor up front, but then all I taste is that clove/cinamon/nutmeg Thanksgiving flavor. Overall I like this stuff and usually buy at least one sixpack every fall. But the spice just becomes to cloying and intense after a while. Are there any pumpkin beers that are just pumpkin and leave out the spice? I think that's something that would interest me. Cheers!

archiebunkerjr likes this.
  24. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

Yes. That's why they suck.

25. I agree with the op. I love pumpkin. Some spice is OK but I don't want it to dominate. I had the Sam Adams Harvest Pumpkin Ale last year and all I could taste was ginger - gross.

26. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

Most of the flavors people associate with Pumpkin is going to be the spice. The pumpkin itself does not have a very strong flavor, there would be little reason to brew with pumpkin alone.

Bitterbill likes this.
  27. I agree. The original question could be paraphrased - are there any pumpkin pies made without spices?

Bitterbill likes this.
  28. DougC123

DougC123 Savant (320) Connecticut Aug 21, 2012

I always love an IPA without hops too.

29. goochpunch

goochpunch Savant (485) Texas Jun 24, 2005

Ofrenda by Calavera is a tripel brewed with pumpkin and no spice. Not sure if that gets imported in the US though.

Some guy posted something about Brooklyn Post Road not having spice. It in fact does have spice, but it's tastefully made. That guy's palate must be wrecked if he can't taste spice.

30. GameFreac

GameFreac Savant (410) Georgia Apr 8, 2011

I don't like overly roasty stouts. But I love stouts.

31. CASK1

CASK1 Savant (370) Florida Jan 7, 2010

While not actually a squash, if you get the chance, try Cigar City's Cucumber Saison. It's a summer seasonal, but worth tracking down or trading for when it's available. Fresh cucumber flavor balanced perfectly with an excellent saison base. No spices (other than the yeast).

32. Its true I miss the 2009 Pumking. Way toned down with the hops and a spiced wonderland. Like velvet gold. Now the only thing that comes close was the oak aged version and that was a one time deal.

33. 1. Cut open a pumpkin.
    2. Grab spoon.
    3. Go to town.

34. chocosushi

chocosushi Savant (450) Oklahoma May 1, 2011

Autumnation.

35. Enjoying a night owl at room temp and it's really impressing me right now.

36. Autumnation is not just "non-spiced", it is also "non-pumpkin" - having been converted to Sixpoint's wet hop beer:

cavedave likes this.
  37. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Its a good thing I didn't say overly roasty.

38. Fisherman's pumpkin stout. I'm not sure you'll find it in PA but I know for a fact they distribute to much of New Jersey if you're over that way.

39. chocosushi

chocosushi Savant (450) Oklahoma May 1, 2011

WOW!
    this is news to me. loved it last Fall.