1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Non-spiced pumpkin beers?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Giantspace, Aug 16, 2013.

1. nc41

nc41 Advocate (600) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Well even pumpkin pie is all spice. Pumpkin in and by itself doesn't have much going for it, so it's a balance of spices. Most are all All Spice, Cinnamon, etc. I really don't like them all that much. You could take a lager and dump the spices and come up with the same stuff.
  2. The only pumpkin beer I've had that was lighter in the spice department was Good Gourd by CCB
  3. Jasonrm72

Jasonrm72 Savant (390) Colorado Apr 29, 2012

I found Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin was more gourd than spice. There is a spice presence, but the pumpkin takes the front of the line.

Trinity out of Colorado Springs, CO has their Emma's Pumpkin Saison out that may fit your flavor profile if you're a trader.

I agree on the Uinta Punk'N, Post Road and Smuttynose: more pumpkin than spice
  4. Rock Art Imperial Pumpkin Spruce Stout.
  5. Dupage25

Dupage25 Savant (305) Antarctica Jul 4, 2013

In the context if beer, the only way to make a spice-free pumpkin beer is to make it with malted pumpkins instead of or in addition to barley. Pumpkin is a spice as far as beer is concerned.

And I'm not even sure if it is possible to malt pumpkins.
  6. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (435) California Nov 20, 2010

That's good news...I had no idea pumpkin tasted like metal until I drank Autumnation last year.
  7. Charlemagne

Charlemagne Initiate (0) Florida Jun 8, 2013

If you can, try and get a hold of Good Gourd. Theres spice (as previously mentioned there always will be lol), but it's nothing super overpowering.
  8. I believe I saw it mentioned before, but I would like to second Elysian's Night Owl. Of the pumpkin beers I have had, this has by far had the least amount of spice flavor to it. Give it a shot.
  9. 57md

57md Savant (475) Pennsylvania Aug 22, 2011

I'd agree with several posts that Smutty is low on spice and definitely the hoppiest pumpkin ale I've tasted.

I'd also suggest Post Road Pumpkin Ale by Brooklyn.
  10. I don't really remember Wolaver's Pumpkin Ale being too spiced. And I don't feel like Ithaca's Country Pumpkin has much spice either, though it seems to have some vanilla and whatnot to make it sweeter.
  11. TheJessica

TheJessica Aspirant (40) Virginia May 24, 2013

I've had a number of over done and over spiced pumpkin beers, with Southern Tier's Pumpking coming to mind immediately. Perhaps it is the artificial flavoring that they add to create that flavor that you're finding so displeasing. If you're interested in finding some well done pumpkin beers that *aren't* over spiced, I'd recommend:

Good Gourd by Cigar City. It's been mentioned a number of times for a reason-- it's extremely well made and well balanced.

Punkin' Ale by Dogfish Head. Another well done pumpkin beer that's subtly spiced to accentuate the flavor of the pumpkin.

Fermentation without Representation by DC Brau and Epic Brewing. It's super well done, brewed with 200 pounds of real pumpkin and real spices.

As for pumpkin beers that have had no spices added? I've never run across one.. sorry :(