North Atlanta / Marietta, GA

Discussion in 'South Atlantic' started by tjfilippo, Jun 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tjfilippo

tjfilippo Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2008 Illinois
    Trader

Hello Fellow BAs,

I was wondering if you can help me out? I'm going to a wedding next weekend in Marietta, GA and i'll be staying at the Hilton on the north side of Atlanta (Windy Hill Road). I've been looking at the directory on BA, but I'd like some advice from the locals.

Are there any good brew pubs / breweries in the area and / or good bottle shops? Also, what are the good local beers? Looking for things that I can't get in Chicago.

Thanks for all your help!!

2. mondegreen

mondegreen Initiate (0) Nov 4, 2009 Georgia

According to seekabrew.com, there are several breweries we get here that you don't. The highlights, IMO, are:

21st Amendment (Brew Free or Die, Bitter American)
    Oskar Blues (Deviant Dale's, Ten FIDY)
    Duck Rabbit (usually very solid, but there have been reports of infections recently - the Baltic Porter might be worth the gamble)
    Terrapin (Phlux Capacitor is the new side project, and their 10th Anniversary is a decent American made BSPA/Tripel type thing - I usually avoid their regular lineup)
    Sweetwater (IPA, not sure if any fresh Dank Tank beers are out)
    Wild Heaven (Ode to Mercy)

As for where to go, it depends on how far you want to travel. There is a Total Wine along with several smaller bottle shops in Marietta. If you don't mind venturing out, Green's and Hop City are highly regarded as the best bottle shops in Atlanta.

bradcochran1234 likes this.
  3. GameFreac

GameFreac Initiate (0) Apr 8, 2011 Georgia

I've only stopped in once to look around but Johnnie Maccracken's looks like a cool Irish Pub with a good beer selection...it's in the Marietta square.

bradcochran1234 likes this.
  4. funkymonk242

funkymonk242 Initiate (0) Apr 7, 2011 Georgia

Not sure what smaller shops are around that area but Total Wine is a few exits up and then HopCity would be the next closest. HopCity has the best selection by far(also has growler shop) and Total has a large selection. I work at Total so if you happen to be there after 3pm sometime I will be around and would be happy to help you find some stuff. Moondog Growlers is in Marietta as well.

They had a problem with there new bottling line and got quite behind on production. They had to hand pack a lot of their beer for a while so they haven't able to a Dank Tank for a while :slight_frown:. Well thats what a sales rep for their distributor told me.

5. crunkchiggin2002

crunkchiggin2002 Initiate (0) Oct 1, 2009 Georgia

If you access to a rental car the drive to Green's on Ponce is well worth it. Should be about 20-30 mins max unless ATL traffic decides to do what ATL traffic oft decides to do, get funky.

6. bradcochran1234

bradcochran1234 Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2011 Georgia

What's up man? My name is Brad and I am the beer manager at Sherlocks on Roswell Rd. We have tons of good beer to choose from. Outside of our store you will be very close to Red Hare Brewing, which is a good time. You’re not close to any really good bars. There is Wild Wing right across the street from my store, which has a pretty descent list of your usual suspects (stone, lagunitas, victory, local brew, etc.). The Burnt Hickory Brewery just released their beers and they are AWESOME so if you see those on draft while in town order them.
    Any rate, just stop by the store and ask for me I'm pretty much always there. 770-971-6333 and the address is 2156 Roswell Rd Marietta GA 30062
    What are your dates in town?

7. jriggins6

jriggins6 Initiate (0) May 18, 2011 Colorado

You are right near a place called Minks.. They have a real good selection. Maybe 10 min up the street is Sprayberry Bottle. They always have a good selection. As far as bars go Taco Mac is your best bet. Unless you want to head downtown
    Josh

8. iccccceman

iccccceman Initiate (0) Sep 18, 2009 Georgia

If you are staying around Marietta I would suggest Michael's Beer and Wine off Whitlock or Total Wine. The Taco Mac in Kennesaw has more taps than the Taco Mac in Marietta and it is close by as well. McCracken's on the square is decent as well.

9. tjfilippo

tjfilippo Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2008 Illinois
    Trader

Thank you for all of the suggestions!!... a lot to digest :slight_smile:

Never knew about seekabrew.com.. great website!

Thanks again!

10. bctdi

bctdi Initiate (0) Dec 8, 2008 Georgia

You will be about 15 minutes away from 5 seasons brew pub in sandy springs....just jump on I285 east to the Roswell rd exit...turn right drive about 3 minutes and turn right into "the prado" shopping center where there is also a Taco Mac. 5 seasons is worth a stop. Great beer , and a nice place as well.

11. gdodd12

gdodd12 Initiate (0) Oct 1, 2009 Georgia

I definitely recommend Minks off Delk Rd exit of 75 since you are right there.

12. bomberdawg

bomberdawg Initiate (0) Mar 25, 2012 Oklahoma

Anything going on in Marietta or the rest of Metro ATL in July? Looking to return for a few weeks back to my homestate. Can't wait to check out some beers and the scene, now that I'm 21!

13. ERRL710

ERRL710 Initiate (0) May 6, 2013 Illinois

Got a cousin coming into Chicago from GA. What are some of your beer highlights? Wanting him to bring me GA's FInest

14. afi4lifer

afi4lifer Zealot (744) Jan 20, 2011 Massachusetts
    Trader

I am visiting the area as well this week, I am in Roswell on Warsaw Rd. Anything good that accessible? Looking for good bottle shops or pubs with good local stuff.

Thanks all

15. ERRL710

ERRL710 Initiate (0) May 6, 2013 Illinois

VISITING CHIGAO?

16. GatorBeerNerd

GatorBeerNerd Pundit (995) Sep 15, 2007 Georgia

Beer store in that area is a no-brainer:
    http://www.aleyeahbeer.com/
    New location in Roswell NOW OPEN!!!
    603 Atlanta St.
    Roswell, GA 30075
    770-992-2246

Might want to call and verify address, they recently moved down the street. I would hope they changed the address on the webpage, but you never know.

You have a couple options for brewpubs, but they aren't as close (and second one is a pretty good drive).

5 Seasons Brewing (Alpharetta location)
    http://www.5seasonsbrewing.com/5/our-other-locations.html

Cherry Street Brewing (in Cumming, a good bit north of Roswell)
    http://www.cherrystreetbrewing.com/

17. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Pooh-Bah (2,502) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia
    Pooh-Bah

The brewers at Cheery Street are cool dudes. Stop in there for sure.

18. afi4lifer

afi4lifer Zealot (744) Jan 20, 2011 Massachusetts
    Trader

This is awesome, thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.