1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

North Austin/Round Rock/Pflugerville etc. meetup/bottle share

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by Danielbt, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

There's some interest in a meet or bottle share in the far North Austin area.

A bottle share would be great as long as we could find a cooperating venue. Flix is a possibility, as they have a beer and wine license, but that would be up to Walt. Homefield would be out due to the mixed license they carry. Not sure on Westside.

A meetup would be fine too, and wouldn't be limited by the liquor license.

I'm thinking mid-April, maybe at Saturday evening or a Sunday afternoon. 20th or 21st? Thoughts?
  2. Sunday is my best day, but a later saturday ~7pm is doable.
  3. Cablejelly

Cablejelly Savant (255) Texas Sep 6, 2010

Firkin Fest on the 21st so I'll be there. Saturdays work best for me but I see a lot of these on Sundays so if that's better for everyone else, don't worry about me :)
    hash_tagger likes this.
  4. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

I vote for the cafeteria at IKEA.
    BK1017 likes this.
  5. Cablejelly

I second this. If we do it on the first Friday of may, they'll already be tapping a firkin of Dugges Idjit! on lingonberries. Win-Win!!!
  6. Sudsday

Sudsday Aficionado (225) Texas Mar 18, 2013

7. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Savant (420) Texas Sep 30, 2007

I only work 1 sunday every few months so that would be a better day for me. I work most saturdays. (but not all, and im moving to bastrop as of the 1st so dont count on me all the time)

ps, pretty sure westside has a mixed liscense.
  8. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Ha! I just sent a bunch of you a BM about this, without seeing that there was already a thread. That'll learn me to read.

I'd love to get the northern folks together (and anyone else who wants to come, really). As I mentioned in the email, I talked to Walt about it and HF and Flix are probably not options, so we'd have to figure something else. Also dont want to conflict with Firkinfest on the 21st, since I think a good number of folks are going to that.

I'm open to pretty much any weekend day, and John I dont care if you're in Bastrop, if we put something together you're coming. Only conflict for me is the first weekend of May, b/c I'll be in Tampa for my baby sister's graduation.

I have some AWESOME stuff I've acquired recently that I really want to share, so hopefully we can figure something out.

Ken
    blatherbeard likes this.
  9. Cablejelly

:(
  10. Danielbt

Doh, forgot about Firkin Fest! That weekend is out then.

Is Sunday, April 28th a good date?

Anyone know of BYOB restaurants or venues in the RR area that would host?
  11. Cablejelly

Is Salt Lick BYOB? I think there are a couple of food truck parks that just opened (both Round Rock and Pflugerville) that are BYOB as well.
  12. bentwookie

bentwookie Initiate (0) Texas Jan 13, 2008

Food truck parks may be a good choice. May need to bring a chair though and buy food of course.

I wouldn't be opposed to hosting at some point. We have a detached garage with a small apt. That's where my beer fridges are anyway. I'm out in the country though, north of Hutto and SE of Georgetown(Jonah is just north of me if you know where that is). 12 minutes east from Ikea. May be too far out to be worth it for you guys though.
  13. Cablejelly

I was considering offering the same, at some point.... maybe after a few of these and I know people so my wife doesn't freak out.

12 minutes east of Ikea isn't that far at all.
  14. kmello69

Dont have a sad. I couldnt remember everyone who is a "northerner" :)

Salt Lick in RR has an alcohol license and serves, so not BYOB like the original. Dont know much about those food truck areas.

My neighborhood has one of those "Activity Centers" that I could look into renting out. Problem is its just a big room with no furniture in it, so we'd have to bring tables and chairs.

Any other good ideas? (and btw, weekend of the 28th works great for me)
  15. bentwookie

I can't do the 27 (2 year old bday) might be able to do 28th.
  16. BgThang

BgThang Savant (410) Texas Dec 23, 2007

im in hutto, so anything north of 45 works for me. I have some homebrew I like to bring as well.
  17. Cablejelly

Come to think of it, my neighborhood has a park/pavilion/picnic area and during HOA sponsored events there's always beer present. I don't think that'd be a problem but I guess I'd have to check to be sure. I'm right behind the Star Furniture on the northbound side of 35 @ the Pflugerville/Austin Boarder. I work sunday nights but if it were in my own neighborhood I guess I could stumble home a little early and nap :)
  18. kmello69

Thats a pretty good, central location for both N. Austin and RR. Might be worth a look.

The timeline is a little tighter, but would the weekend of the 14th of April work for people? Seems like we have a few people who have a hard time with Saturdays and a few who have a hard time with Sundays. Would a Friday or Saturday night work any better?
  19. Cablejelly

I like the 14th personally. I have a crawfish boil in San Marcos on the 13th and my twins b-day party for the 27th... I guess the 28th works well too if we're doing sundays.

This is a horrible pic but the covered area behind the sign seats plenty. As long as there's no open bottle policy. I can look into it though

but then again, here's no food or restrooms
  20. Danielbt

Damn, I was liking this idea up till this news. Drinking beer and water with no restrooms...bad things, man, bad things.

I think the 14th would be good. My sister is in town, but she's a huge beer nerd too and would probably like to go.
  21. bentwookie

The 14th is good for me I think. I was going to try to hit up Real Ale on Sat 13th.
  22. Cablejelly

There are 3 model homes right next to it :D
    Danielbt likes this.
  23. blatherbeard

14th, unless the wife says no because we need to move furniture or something works for me,

esp since i have the 15th off as well. =)
  24. kmello69

Checked into my community activity center. Like I thought, absolutely no furniture in there - just a big, empty room. So we'd have to bring chairs and tables. There's also an outside area near the pools with lots of tables, and nice bathrooms, but there's a "No Glass Containers" rule in that area, so I'd be taking a chance of getting in trouble with the HOA.

I'll keep looking.
  25. Cablejelly

I'm not making any promises here, and I do have to work sunday nights so this won't be an all night thing, but it looks like there's only a handful of us interested in this (6ish?). I could host as long as there's no A-holes ;) which would provide some shelter, a rest room, fresh water, and possibly food (or at least a physical address you can have something delivered to).

Why don't we get a head count and I can run it by my wife (bring her something sour and you're in!). As long as my twins running around inside and outside doesn't ruin your buzz we can probably work this out. Afterwards, we'll all know each other, and can maybe rotate homesteads for north Austin bottle shares.
  26. kmello69

I'd be in, and I'm pretty sure I'm not an A-hole. ;)
  27. atxdelivery

atxdelivery Aficionado (235) Texas Aug 28, 2010

Ill host anytime I am in town. Is there something going on today?
  28. Cablejelly

I just found out we're also house sitting for the neighbors from the 13th to the 28th and have permission to use their back yard as well (they actually have seats!!!) haha. So yeah, 2 back yards, the park i posted earlier, and like 6 bathrooms. I guess I just need a head count and I can start a private conversation so we're not posting addys and #'s here.
  29. kmello69

Still talking the 14th, right? I'm in. Already got the thumbs up from my wife, who even offered to drop me off and pick me up. :p
  30. Cablejelly

Yeah, they'll be gone from the 13th - 28 but the problem is they drag ass sometimes on leaving. Since they don't need to check in until the 16th, they may not leave until the 15th :( It's a crap shoot really, if they're gone, we have a nice back yard. If they're still here, we have the yard next to their nice back yard, and my kitchen/dining room... guess it just depends on how many we're looking at.
  31. Danielbt

Not today, but the 14th it sounds like. Speaking of hosting, poker game...? ;)
  32. Danielbt

2 here most likely.
  33. atxdelivery

atxdelivery Aficionado (235) Texas Aug 28, 2010

I have been dreaming of hosting a poker games for months now. If any of you poker players are interested let me know. I would do anywhere from $20 to $100 buy in and be happy.
  34. kmello69

I dont play, but I'd be happy to drink and watch y'all.
  35. bentwookie

I can do apr 14, me and maybe 1 other. And I can host in May if needed.
  36. Cablejelly

I don't want to miss anyone. I have 5? I think.... Just got an email from the neighbor. They should be out by noon on the 14th if they're still there at all so looks good.

If you intend to come, BM me, PM, me, message me.... start a conversation with me (Whatever term you're used to.) Send me a message and I'll get a list going, maybe a mass conversation with the group, and finalize details.)
  37. blatherbeard

Im not good, but id play poker, and id drink beer. ;) 14th works for me as long as the mrs doenst suprise me with something.

Bm sent
  38. kmello69

No surprises allowed.
    blatherbeard likes this.
  39. nsheehan

nsheehan Savant (475) Texas Jul 3, 2011

Hi,
    I'm relatively new to the Austin area (moved here in August from CA), and would like to do a bottle share sometime (not this April though). I organized what I'll call a monthly bottle share last year in a neighborhood north of Santa Barbara. There were about 25 unique participants throughout the year, and 10 regulars. Only a few of us were craft beer knowledgeable though (hence why I'd bring people together to learn about beer basics), and generally BAs know way more than the average person, of course. As for me, I am by no means close to an expert.

Can someone tell me what's generally expected at an Austin bottle share? I'll leave this open-ended in the hopes of a few responses, but I do have quality & number of bottles in mind and if home brewing is required.
    Thanks!
    kmello69 likes this.
  40. kmello69

First of all, welcome, fellow Gaucho! I got my PhD in Religion from UC Santa Barbara, and have wonderful memories of the area.

As for your questions, I dont know that there are set rules, especially for this one, since this will be our first time getting together. My thinking was a couple of bottles each, but we'll see what others think.

There is also a regular tasting in Austin every month, on the first Sunday of the month at Draught House. We're just trying to start another one, for folks who are a little bit more north.
    nsheehan likes this.