1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

North Austin/Round Rock/Pflugerville etc. meetup/bottle share

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by Danielbt, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

For the regular Austin tasting... people generally bring 2+ out of market or vintage/limited beers that are not served at the bar. That's 750/22... for 12oz bottles I'd double up.
  2. Cablejelly

Cablejelly Savant (255) Texas Sep 6, 2010

I was actually going to ask about this. How is it Draught House is no problem but we've had tons of issues locating something in our area? Is it a county thing?
  3. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Its the license. Places with a full license (liquor) can't do it. Thats my understanding, anyway
  4. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

No, it's a management thing. Technically, any venue with a beer & wine only license could let us bring in bottles. Any location with no liquor license could do the same. Some places are willing to accept the liability, and some aren't. I understand why some might be hesitant, as they have the potential to be exposed to liability, even if it's a small chance.
    blatherbeard likes this.
  5. jacobbocce72

jacobbocce72 Savant (330) Texas Dec 18, 2011

Just wanted to toss my name out there as well. I won't be able to make this one (I'll be in College Station celebrating my birthday), but would certainly be interested in attending in the future. I live in Cedar Park (right of 45 and 620) and would certainly appreciate a few folks around me who enjoy a good craft beer.
  6. ckeegan04

ckeegan04 Savant (495) Texas Feb 21, 2008

I'm definitely in for this in the future. I'll be neck deep in finishing off tax season on April 14th, but I am definitely up for the next one.
  7. Walt

Walt Initiate (0) Texas Aug 6, 2006

D, it's both. BG permits is legal, and it's management. MB permits are not legal.
    Danielbt likes this.
  8. nsheehan

nsheehan Savant (475) Texas Jul 3, 2011

Thanks, I'll keep my ears scannin' and hear how this first North Austin one goes.
  9. Danielbt

Right, thanks for clarifying. My "no" was to the question about if it was a county issue. It's not; the whole state is screwed up. ;)
  10. aschwab

aschwab Savant (475) Texas Mar 3, 2009

I am in north Austin and will probably be in for the future ones. I will be out of town that weekend (but will be collecting bottles).

There are too few actual beer/wine bars in North Austin that would allow this. It would be nice if it was possible to organize something through Rogness, but that probably would never happen (dont know them or the rules that apply to bringing beer to breweries).

I believe that new place in Pflugerville (stems and steins??) has a liquor license as well...
    I believe the same goes for Westside.

Maybe when the brass tap in RR opens...it will be an option (http://www.facebook.com/brass.tap.round.rock)
  11. Cablejelly

I'm bumping this to see if we're done or anyone else wants in. Trying to finalize numbers since this is a residence rather than an establishment....
  12. kmello69

Do you want me to create a Google Spreadsheet so we can keep track of what everyone is bringing and not have duplicates, or should we go with the element of surprise?
    blatherbeard likes this.
  13. Danielbt

I vote for surprise. The one stipulation would be that the beer being brought is either vintage, or not available in the the Greater Austin area.
  14. Danielbt

Oh, Greg, it'll probably be me plus two more btw.
  15. BgThang

BgThang Savant (435) Texas Dec 23, 2007

I BM'd you cable jelly, thank danielbt for hitting me up in Pm and reminding me. Having a RR, Naustin tastig group would be kewl. thanks
  16. mindswoop

mindswoop Aficionado (195) Texas Dec 22, 2011

I can't make the 14th, but I live in the area and would be interested in future events. Thanks for taking the initiative.
  17. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Savant (420) Texas Sep 30, 2007

Makes me wish i had saved my last bottle of Poharznik Ris for this meetup.....of course i opened that 2 years ago so who knows what it would have tasted like, and it was shared at a La muerta tasting so i cant complain to much. Still saddens me that the company went out of business the year i left Nh and it was one of the most unique Ris's ive EVER had.
  18. Cablejelly

I'm open for anything tbh. If we're looking @ 2-3 bottles per person and someone wants to bring russian river, jester king, and rogness I'm fine with that. Good beer is good beer and sharing is sharing... it doesn't always have to be regional imo and not available =/= better sometimes.

Also, limited brews are welcome regardless of region :)
    dumptruck81 likes this.
  19. kmello69

Well I'm bringing Bud Strawber-rita, an original Coors, and a Four Loko, possibly in the strawberry/kiwi family. Get ready, boys
  20. blatherbeard

I might be able to scrounge up a jack daniels cola.
  21. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Savant (360) Texas Dec 28, 2011

Better be some OG four loko.

I wish I could make this one. Hopefully it works out well and there are more in the future.
  22. nsheehan

Will pay $ if it's OG 4loko :D
  23. nsheehan

When you say regional, do you mean from outside of the region Texas gets distribution from? Such as RR Supplication or The Lost Abbey?
    Or do you mean within the region TX gets distr. from?
  24. Cablejelly

Regional in the sense that it's distributed in a region other than that of the bottle share region. Lost Abbey or Russian River would fall under that but also Freetail or Karbach given they're not sold in Austin.

o rly?
  25. hash_tagger

hash_tagger Aficionado (185) Texas Jan 18, 2013

See you there!
  26. kmello69

Your house, your rules, brother. :)
    Cablejelly likes this.
  27. kmello69

Oh, I have access to some. :)

Never even knew what that stuff was until a few years ago when a student of mine invited me to a 4Loko party her sorority was having. Because I love my wife and like being married, I had to decline.
  28. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Advocate (500) Texas Jan 20, 2010

:eek:
    blatherbeard likes this.
  29. kmello69

For real, bro. Thought about it for a sec, though. :cool:
    blatherbeard and starkmarvelo like this.
  30. blatherbeard

Id have been divorced ;)
  31. kmello69

Just wanted to send a public thanks to Cablejelly and his wonderful family for hosting this tasting yesterday! We had a great time, ate great food, went way over when we thought it would end, and already agreed to do it again next month.

From what I can remember, this is what we had (please correct me if my memory is hazy :) )

(512) WBDPP from a 64oz growler (pretty sure we finished the whole thing)
    Cigar City Improv
    BgThang's Zombie Dust-like homebrew (think he calls it Evil Dead Pale Ale)
    Bells Hell Hath No Fury
    Ballast Point Indra Kunindra
    BgThang's Tabasco Porter homebrew (awesome!)
    Schlafly Raspberry Coffee Stout
    Allagash Confluence
    Lost Abbey Serpent's Stout
    Upright 7
    Midnight Sun Mammoth Extra Stout
    Marshall Revival Red Ale
    Hoppin' Frog BA Naked Evil BBW
    Jolly Pumpkin La Roja
    Flying Dog Kujo
    Lighthouse Belgian Black
    Cigar City Tropical Heatwave
    Rodenbach Grand Cru
    Deschutes The Stoic
    Jester King Buddha's Brew

That's a pretty good list for 5 BA's (+2 family members)! Looking forward to the next one!
    blatherbeard likes this.
  32. Cablejelly

I think a three philosophers got cracked and there were parting gifts ;)

I'll get a thread started for #2 shortly. Looks like it'll be the much later, Saturday version.

I must say, I'm in love with that Tabasco Porter... stole the show imo! BgThang is officially my hero now :) Loved the Indra too.
    BgThang likes this.
  33. kmello69

How did I forget to mention the parting gifts!? Not only does the guy host us in his house and feed us all, but he gives us beer to take home too! Class act all the way around.

Must have waited until I left to crack that 3 Philosophers, though.... ;)

First thing my wife asked me was "what was your favorite beer of the night" and my immediate response was "Tabasco porter!" That stuff was fantastic
  34. Lutter

Sorry I didn't make it... I was over at the Hi Hat bottle share with Ken's brother in law.... which kinda went like this...

[​IMG]
  35. WHAT??? which one were you? haha
    BgThang likes this.
  36. Lutter

Sam, I think I missed ya.
  37. kmello69

So you felt the need to come into a thread about this bottle share and humblebrag about another bottle share you were at? Classy.
  38. Lutter

I honestly didn't even know this was going on. That's what I get for not paying attention.

It was more like "you guys had a bottle share!? Me at one too!"

God I suck, I'm leaving.
  39. kmello69

:p
  40. BgThang

BgThang Savant (435) Texas Dec 23, 2007

Thanks for the kind words on the tabasco porter. Glad everyone enjoyed it.
    Thanks to cable jelly for hosting. Will be hard to top that. Great food, great beers and even better people!