North Austin/Round Rock/Pflugerville etc. meetup/bottle share

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by Danielbt, Mar 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lutter

Lutter Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2010 Texas
    Deactivated

For the regular Austin tasting... people generally bring 2+ out of market or vintage/limited beers that are not served at the bar. That's 750/22... for 12oz bottles I'd double up.

2. Cablejelly

Cablejelly Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2010 Texas

I was actually going to ask about this. How is it Draught House is no problem but we've had tons of issues locating something in our area? Is it a county thing?

3. kmello69

kmello69 Initiate (0) Nov 27, 2011 Texas

Its the license. Places with a full license (liquor) can't do it. Thats my understanding, anyway

4. Danielbt

Danielbt Initiate (0) May 4, 2012 Texas

No, it's a management thing. Technically, any venue with a beer & wine only license could let us bring in bottles. Any location with no liquor license could do the same. Some places are willing to accept the liability, and some aren't. I understand why some might be hesitant, as they have the potential to be exposed to liability, even if it's a small chance.

blatherbeard likes this.
  5. jacobbocce72

jacobbocce72 Initiate (0) Dec 18, 2011 Texas

Just wanted to toss my name out there as well. I won't be able to make this one (I'll be in College Station celebrating my birthday), but would certainly be interested in attending in the future. I live in Cedar Park (right of 45 and 620) and would certainly appreciate a few folks around me who enjoy a good craft beer.

6. ckeegan04

ckeegan04 Pooh-Bah (1,785) Feb 21, 2008 Texas
    Pooh-Bah Society

I'm definitely in for this in the future. I'll be neck deep in finishing off tax season on April 14th, but I am definitely up for the next one.

7. Walt

Walt Initiate (0) Aug 6, 2006 Texas

D, it's both. BG permits is legal, and it's management. MB permits are not legal.

Danielbt likes this.
  8. nsheehan

nsheehan Savant (1,182) Jul 3, 2011 Texas
    Trader

Thanks, I'll keep my ears scannin' and hear how this first North Austin one goes.

9. Danielbt

Right, thanks for clarifying. My "no" was to the question about if it was a county issue. It's not; the whole state is screwed up. :wink:

10. aschwab

aschwab Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2009 Texas

I am in north Austin and will probably be in for the future ones. I will be out of town that weekend (but will be collecting bottles).

There are too few actual beer/wine bars in North Austin that would allow this. It would be nice if it was possible to organize something through Rogness, but that probably would never happen (dont know them or the rules that apply to bringing beer to breweries).

I believe that new place in Pflugerville (stems and steins??) has a liquor license as well...
    I believe the same goes for Westside.

Maybe when the brass tap in RR opens...it will be an option (http://www.facebook.com/brass.tap.round.rock)

11. Cablejelly

I'm bumping this to see if we're done or anyone else wants in. Trying to finalize numbers since this is a residence rather than an establishment....

12. kmello69

Do you want me to create a Google Spreadsheet so we can keep track of what everyone is bringing and not have duplicates, or should we go with the element of surprise?

blatherbeard likes this.
  13. Danielbt

I vote for surprise. The one stipulation would be that the beer being brought is either vintage, or not available in the the Greater Austin area.

14. Danielbt

Oh, Greg, it'll probably be me plus two more btw.

15. BgThang

BgThang Initiate (0) Dec 23, 2007 Texas

I BM'd you cable jelly, thank danielbt for hitting me up in Pm and reminding me. Having a RR, Naustin tastig group would be kewl. thanks

16. mindswoop

mindswoop Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2011 Texas

I can't make the 14th, but I live in the area and would be interested in future events. Thanks for taking the initiative.

17. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Initiate (0) Sep 30, 2007 Texas

Makes me wish i had saved my last bottle of Poharznik Ris for this meetup.....of course i opened that 2 years ago so who knows what it would have tasted like, and it was shared at a La muerta tasting so i cant complain to much. Still saddens me that the company went out of business the year i left Nh and it was one of the most unique Ris's ive EVER had.

18. Cablejelly

I'm open for anything tbh. If we're looking @ 2-3 bottles per person and someone wants to bring russian river, jester king, and rogness I'm fine with that. Good beer is good beer and sharing is sharing... it doesn't always have to be regional imo and not available =/= better sometimes.

Also, limited brews are welcome regardless of region :slight_smile:

dumptruck81 likes this.
  19. kmello69

Well I'm bringing Bud Strawber-rita, an original Coors, and a Four Loko, possibly in the strawberry/kiwi family. Get ready, boys

20. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Initiate (0) Sep 30, 2007 Texas

I might be able to scrounge up a jack daniels cola.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.