North Carolina advice

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by elliott1184, Jan 16, 2013.

1. elliott1184

elliott1184 Savant (395) Minnesota Mar 31, 2011

Ill be visiting NC in March, & was wondering if anyone could help me out with the following:

1) Foothills: haven't tried any but am looking forward to doing so; I'll be going near Winston-Salem on my way to the Outer Banks..is it a good idea to get some at the brewery or is it readily available statewide? any good seasonals around in late March? I am guessing that Sexual Chocolate will be impossible to find, given my timing?
    2) good breweries, bars, brewpubs, bottle shops in or around Kill Devil Hills? Plan to check out Outer Banks Brewing..
    3) anyone looking for anything I can get in Minnesota that isn't available in NC? Surly is the most obvious one I can think of; if anyone is interested in an IP trade & is willing to hook me up with a Sexual Chocolate or an Olde Rabbit's Foot , I have some Surly Darkness, could get some fresh Abrasive, Pentagram (bottles are coming out in February) etc. I could meet up in Winston-Salem, Raleigh, or out on the Outer Banks. BM me if interested (feel free to check out my gots as well)

Cheers!

2. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

Where in NC are you staying and when?

3. Chances are heading to the brewery (Foothills) would be a good idea, Foothills is a great place and you will surely get to try most of what you would want to try. Bottles are readily available at the brewpub and at most bottle shops. Not sure how long Sexy Choc will last at the Brew Pub but I wouldn't put it out of the question to find some on draft in March.

I do not know much about the Outer Banks so I can't help you much there.

I would love to meet up for a trade, I plan to get a couple of Sexual Chocolates, I need at least one for my 3 year vert. I can let you know for sure after it is released.

Olde Hickory Brewing is worth a try if you are able to stop by any of the Bottle Shops from Winston to Raleigh you should be able to get some of their stuff without much of an issue.

4. elliott1184

March 22-29, most of the time in or near Kill Devil Hills, but will likely spend a night in Raleigh and a night in Winston-Salem as well.

5. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

I imagine you know that it's quite a haul from the coast to Raleigh and even further to Winston-Salem.

In any case, let me know when you're passing through the Raleigh/Durham area, and if the day works out we'll be happy to put together a tasting for you!

6. Bluecane is a solid dude. He and his side kick Tim put on some hellacious bottle shares as I understand it (hopefully I'll continue to breath long enough to verify that 1st hand). As for me, I plan on being @ the 2013 Sexual Chocolate release and I MAY have a bottle available by then. My stock of ORF is GONE (daymit) as I just traded off my last 1 to the left coast. Still have The Event Horizon and Silent Night, but they to may be gone by then. March is kinda iffy for me, as I try to get down to the NC coast to do some fishing (Red Drum, Blues, and whatever else yanks my line) BUT if I am here I'd love to meet up wif ya @ Foothills if for nothing more than to share a pint @ the brew pub. Cheers, Gary

7. I'm in raleigh as well and would be willing to meet up for an IP trade. I should have plenty of Event Horizon. Possibly SC or Lindley Park.

8. Sayson

Sayson Savant (300) North Carolina Apr 16, 2005

Staying in Kill Devil Hills, you may want to consider checking out Norfolk and Virginia Beach. They're about 1 hour 45 from KDH, where Raleigh and W-S are more like 4 and 5.5 hrs. If you're driving you could hit one on the way in and one one the way back to MN.

curtind1 likes this.
  9. In kill devil hills go to the obx brewing station for a beer and get their yardbird sandwhich and a place called chips has a good beer selection.

10. csbinva

csbinva Savant (265) Virginia Jan 13, 2010

11. I live in Winston and should be in town around then. BM me closer to when you will be coming down and perhaps we can catch a pint at the pub. I have some BA Sexy Choc I can trade and can probably get my hands on some other goodies if you are interested.

12. Would your handle have anything to do with being a Campbell Camel? I'm an '04 grad. Just curious.

13. Would your handle have anything to do with being a Campbell Camel? I'm an '04 grad. Just curious.

Too funny. Yeah I finished in 2000!! Great to hear from a fellow Camel.

14. elliott1184

Thanks everyone, for the great information; you guys are awesome! Hopefully I'll be able to meet some of you in a couple months..

brstls4drmrs likes this.
  15. I would suggest bring some good Surly beer to Foothills...I BET you could get Jamie or someone there to hook you up...the OBX Brew Station has good beer and great food (a little pricy).

16. we do love omars beers around here you are right

wolfeman007 likes this.
  17. EvoJoe

EvoJoe Savant (275) North Carolina Jan 19, 2013

I am in Charlotte which is about an hour from Winston-Salem. I would say you need to go to NoDa brewery. IMO best beers in Charlotte. Across the street from NoDa is Birdsong and down the street is Heist. So if your looking to Brewery hop come to Charlotte.

18. elliott1184

Thanks again for all of the NC advice! We're flying in this Friday; if anyone can help me out with any of these ?s that would be great:

1) any sexual chocolate on tap in or around Winston-Salem, Raleigh, or (doubtful probably) the Outer Banks?
    2) any advice on specific local/regional beers to try that will be available in stores/bars? Stouts, barleywines, porters, APA's are generally my favorites..I love me some coffee stouts, barrel aged beers etc.. definitely want to try some Foothills, Olde Hickory, Terrapin; looking for some specific recommendations
    3) is Terrapin wake n bake around, or is that one that comes and goes immediately?

19. sexual chocolate is on tap in boone at the mellow mushroom as a $5 special. not sure about winston but there are lots of kegs still floating around up here.

20. depending on which way you head from the coast to raleigh, you may want to detour to farmville, nc to duck rabbit!!

21. I have a good amount of Wake-n-Bake. I am in the Raleigh area.

22. When you come though Raleigh, stop at Trophy Brewing and grab a few growlers to take with you to the beach.