1. One Hundred Mags (Rule). Check out the sneak peek of BeerAdvocate magazine #100, plus some of the changes coming your way.

North carolina beer recommendations?

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by dustintheyounger, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Hi all,
    My gf is going on a business trip to chapel hill and Raleigh for a couple days this week, and so I would like get any recommendations of any high rated beers that are realistically attainable at a liquor store since I doubt she would not have a lot of time. Price and style not an issue, although I'd prefer a solid imperial stout or barrel aged beers. Maybe a top 10? Thank you in advance!

2. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

There are only 2 Top 10 beers that aren't sold-out-in-2-minutes special releases: Pliny the Elder and Heady Topper. Neither of those are available in NC.

Foothills is probably the best-rated brewery from NC that is available in those cities, but doesn't have wide distribution in the US. She might be able to find some Barrel-aged Peoples' Porter.

What breweries do you not get there that you're looking for here? Check out this map for some ideas: http://www.seekabrew.com/

At Sam's in Durham, she might find some Founders Breakfast; definitely have Old Rasputin; Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout; Siberian Night; they have some of the Beer Geek varietals last I checked.

3. Sorry I should have been more specific, but I meant your personal 10 top recomendations for local NC beers. Basically any beers that would rightfully represent the beer scene there. So if you were to come to San Diego, I'd tell you to get ballast point victory at sea, or alpine Nelson, etc.
    I'll definitely ask her to get the peoples porter! Thanks bluecane for your help!

4. Some breweries to search out are Mother Earth, Duck Rabbit, Foothills, Roth, and Olde Hickory. The current Duck Rabbit seasonal is the Barley Wine. Olde Hickory Imperial Stout and Irish Walker should also still be around. The Mother Earth barrel-aged tripel is also due out soon.

5. ewright

ewright Savant (440) North Carolina Oct 25, 2007

Actually, Duck Rabbit just released Rabid Duck, a solid RIS that's in the $2/bottle range when bought by the 6pk. Olde Hickory is also available in the area. Their Imperial Stout, Irish Walker Barley Wine, Death By Hops IPA, Black Raven black IPA are among my favorites for shelf-available beers.

OSUBeerStudent likes this.
  6. I'd have to agree with a lot of the above.

Barrel aged Peoples' Porter from Foothills
    Olde Hickory Imperial Stout
    Duck Rabbit Rabid Duck
    Duck Rabbit Baltic Porter (you should still be able to find this around)

I'd start there and then venture out. Highland makes a few solid brews as well, and there might be some stores there that carry some Pisgah brew - pick some of their stuff up if they do.

OSUBeerStudent and zencigar like this.
  7. Great suggestions above. I also have a soft spot for Sweet Josie by Lonerider if you want to take home a solid off the shelf local brown ale.

8. thank you all for your help. hopefully she can get some of these beers, and then i can look forward to her return. hhahaha