1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

North Coast Bourbon 09 cellar reserve

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by timc100, Feb 19, 2013.

1. timc100

timc100 Savant (305) Illinois Aug 13, 2012

Stumbled on a bottle today, how's it drinking? Certainly cannot afford another one otherwise I'd crack it open at the next celebratory evening. Thanks
  2. harrymel

harrymel Initiate (0) Washington Dec 15, 2010

Delicious, in a word.
    corby112 likes this.
  3. timc100

timc100 Savant (305) Illinois Aug 13, 2012

Can you think of any reason I should hold onto it longer? What has age done to it thus far?
  4. I haven't had this recently but I cracked open a bottle last year and it was one of the best beers I've ever had.
    Smurf2055 likes this.
  5. RDMII

RDMII Savant (315) Georgia Apr 11, 2010

Had one at Christmas for our company holiday party. Easily in the top five best beers I've ever had. I still have one left myself and really don't want to open it yet, because then it's gone forever.
  6. maximum12

maximum12 Advocate (735) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

Good to know. Had one fresh & it was a bit much, but saw it on a store shelf a couple days ago. Might splurge on another just for fun.
  7. Kopfschuss

Kopfschuss Advocate (530) Oregon Aug 19, 2009

Cracked this one for New Year's Eve. It was incredible. I highly recommend drinking now because you can still potentially get another if you like it that much.
    jedwards likes this.
  8. I just drank a bottle of 2005 Brandy barrel Old Stock in the middle of February:
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/112/37114/?ba=4DAloveofSTOUT

Brandy is still holding up fantastically. Bourbon is still holding up fantastically. I also have several bottles of the bourbon barrel old stock and I see the bourbon version having the similiar cellar life as the brandy! I have drank several bottles of the bourbon version over the last 2 years and it has drank like a champ everytime. I am not scared to hold on to those bottles for a very long time, but its going to be more of a matter of will power because the beer is really awesome! lol.
  9. You wont regret the splurge!
  10. This is a good piece of advice for the OP!
  11. I had a pour over the past weekend. It's very good right now, but I never had any when it first came out.
  12. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

i loved it when it came out. you (or at least i) rarely see it nowadays, so if you have the money i think it's worth it.

the only problems with north coast barrel stuff in the first place are the price and that they're often a bit more carbonated than a lot of BAs prefer. other than that, they're top notch (i even love the grand cru that people inexplicably shit on).
  13. maximep

maximep Savant (265) New York Oct 23, 2009

this beer is ridiculous now. I drank two bottles in one night to the domepiece, it was fucking money.
    JackCrow likes this.
  14. A friend of mine had one about a week ago. He said it was excellent, but also said that he was glad he had it then. Little bit of oxidation but in a pleasant way.