1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

north park beer co

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by redmagik99, Jan 24, 2013.

1. redmagik99

redmagik99 Savant (305) California May 15, 2007

Does anyone know what the deal is? Twitter says they're brewing but it's not on google maps so does it really exist? If so, when can I drink the beer?
  2. DrtyBvrJuce

DrtyBvrJuce Initiate (0) California Jan 17, 2013

Per WestCoaster, its a brewery in planning. Sounds like a home brewer. He's brewed with Stone though some years back.
  3. kmcnair

kmcnair Savant (335) California Jul 24, 2003

I will confirm that North Park Beer Company is a brewery in planning. Unfortunately, there isn't a whole lot else that I can share at this time.

As DrtyBvrJuce said, I did have the opportunity to brew a collaboration beer with Stone in 2010. I have also brewed collaborations with Hess and Left Coast. A couple more collaboration beers are in the works for this year.
  4. Does this eliminate you from the amateur ranks and allow some of the other homebrewers to pick up some awards at the local contests?
    stawn, mrkrispy and domtronzero like this.
  5. kmcnair

Interesting question... I do not have a commercial location, permits or a license and I do not sell my beer in any way, shape or form. With no brewery related income and simply brewing my "pilot" batches at my home in my off hours, I consider myself to be an amateur for the time being. The beer I brew now and enter in homebrewing competitions utilizes the same technology and equipment that any other homebrewer would have access to. Based on that, I see no reason for me to quit competing in the short term. Also, the unbiased feedback is an incredibly useful tool for recipe refinement. Additionally, I cannot enter professional brewing competitions. Once I have a location, license, and the like, I'll gladly bow out from competing in homebrew contests. :)

Also, I do know of a few professional brewers who continue to homebrew and enter homebrewing competitions. Whether or not this is proper etiquette is debatable. IMHO, if you brewed it at home, it is homebrew.
  6. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (360) California Mar 13, 2009

hurry up Kelsey, I need me some Hop-Fu
    kmcnair likes this.
  7. domtronzero

domtronzero Initiate (0) California Aug 18, 2007

I am organizing this year's America's Finest City Homebrew Competition (put on by QUAFF) and we have the following rule regarding professional brewers entering into the competition: "Professional brewers may enter homebrewed beer, mead, or cider as long as the entry was not brewed on commercial equipment." (And I see that Kelsey has already entered a few beers)

I'm looking forward to NPBC! Just followed you on Facebook, so I'm hoping to see some updates in the near future :)
  8. mrkrispy

mrkrispy Savant (410) California Apr 5, 2006

With Societe in 2012, Rip Current in 2013, and North Park Beer Co opening (2014 let's hope?) I am very excited that we have a influx of new proper IPAs.
    stawn, domtronzero and kmcnair like this.
  9. kmcnair

Thanks Dom, I appreciate the follow. Until things "move out of the garage" you'll find I'm more active on twitter.
    domtronzero likes this.
  10. Woodie

Woodie Aficionado (105) California Jan 22, 2011

do you do any water adjustments for your brewing? I'm just curious, I'm a fellow homebrewer here in SD, clairemont to be exact.
  11. kmcnair

Yep, I adjust my brewing liquor for every batch. I am not a fan of the minerally tasting, moderately high alkaline water we have to work with here in San Diego. I know some breweries do just fine with it, but as a matter of preference I do not like it as a starting point. In general, I do use some carbon filtered water in my beer, but it gets cut with some ratio of reverse osmosis water. I make adjustments with consideration for pH and also to dial in specific flavor enhancements (i.e. chloride:sulfate ratio). I do not try to emulate specific regional water profiles.
    HopHead84 likes this.