1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Northdown in Chicago "Lions, Tigers & Beers, Oh My!" - 3 Floyds, Surly, Mikkeller

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by hopdragon, Jun 14, 2012.

• Tuesday, June 19, 2012​
      • 11:00am​

• Northdown is proud & excited to be hosting an incredible day to benefit The Wildcat Sanctuary in Minnesota. The event is being generously sponsored/co-hosted by our friends at 3 Floyds, Surly, & Mikkeller -- three of the world's best breweries! The Wildcat Sanctuary is a non-profit, no-kill facility providing sanctuary to wild cats in need & actively involved in ending the private ownership of exotic animals. Our goal is to raise at least $5000, which would feed two tigers for a year!

The event starts at 11am on June 19th. We'll be tapping rare beers from 3 Floyds, Surly & Mikkeller every two hours throughout the day, as well as beers generously donated by Piece Brewing & Firestone Walker Brewery. We'll also have amazing raffle drawings all day, with items donated from some of the best artists & shops in the city!

A few of the beers we'll be pouring:
      Surly - Five
      Surly - Abrasive
      Mikkeller - 1000 IBU
      Mikkeller - Monks Elixir
      3 Floyds - Hells Black Intelligencer
      3 Floyds - Tiger Jelly

Raffle/merch info:
      All raffle tickets, t-shirts & poster sales are cash only. Limited shirts & artwork will be available commemorating this incredible event.
      General Raffle Item tickets - for sale on the day of the event. Tickets are 3 for $10 or 7 for $20.
      Grand Prize Raffle Item tickets - Sales start Tuesday June 12th & are $10 each

Some of the general raffle items include:
      --> Gift certificates from Revolution Tattoo, MetroVet Center, Paddy Longs, Pioneer Tattoo, Long Room, Insight Studios, Trenchermen, & Animal Emergency & Treatment Center.
      --> Artwork from Left Handed Wave, Photos of two of the cats at the Wildcat Sanctuary, a handmade quilt, hand-drawn artwork from the drink & draw being held by incredible graphic novel artists.
      --> Schwag &/or rare beers from Mikkeller, 3 Floyds, Surly, Piece, New Holland Brewery, & Duvel.

Raffle Grand Prizes:
      --> 6 year flight of 3 Floyds Dark Lord
      --> Private Tour & Tasting with Todd at Surly
      --> Rare Surly Collection
      --> Flight of eight bourbons donated from West Lakeview Liquors: Blantons Barrel 252/Buffalo Trace Barrel 304/Buffalo Trace 309/Eagle Rare 015/Eagle Rare 021/Evan Williams Barrel 431/Willet 3yr Rye/Willet 20yr Bourbon
      --> Signed tap handle from all three breweries on a custom-made display rack.

Raffle drawings will take place all day. Winning #'s will be posted on our facebook wall & emailed to our customers. Be sure to follow & see if you've won!
      Raffle items not claimed after 48 hours will have another winner drawn.

More beer info, raffle items, etc will be updated frequently -- stay tuned! This is only the beginning!!!
    [​IMG]

Northdown Cafe and Taproom
    3244 N. Lincoln Ave., Chicago, IL 60657
    View Map · Get Directions
    MarcatGSB likes this.
  1. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Just discovered this place last weekend...awesome vibe, great food, good beer selection, and this is a worthy, good cause! Right on Northdown!
  2. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Savant (325) Illinois Dec 31, 2010

hoping to head there after work. talked to a bartender from there recently. he said they would be staggering the good taps, so they all won't be on at the same time. here's to hoping Five doesn't get tapped until around 5pm...
  3. MasterSki

MasterSki Site Editor (980) Ontario (Canada) Dec 25, 2006 Staff Member

I'm really pumped for BA Raspberry Robert the Bruce - keep missing it at the brewpub.
  4. immobilisme

immobilisme Savant (380) Illinois Nov 8, 2005

Does anyone know if a schedule will be released prior to this event or will I just have to go and hope for the best?
  5. I didn't see that listed in the above post where did you see it? That would be really exciting to me.

Also holy shit this tap list is insane. Not to mention the prizes wow
  6. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Can I enter the raffle even though I'm not going to be present at the event? I'd like to support this cause, but won't be able to travel down to Chicago for the event. And the prizes are sick nasty.
    Northdown doesn't have any direct contact information other than Facebook and not ALL of us drink the Facebook kool-aid, so I'm trying to email them or something of the sorts.
  7. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

Why do bars start this stuff so early? Gonna try swinging over if I can, would like to support a good cause
  8. MasterSki

http://beeradvocate.com/events/info/54929
  9. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

Someone's studying for the bar exam remotely that day
  10. Anyone planning to get there early and stay? I'd love to see a tap update to see what's on when people are getting off work, or for lunch
  11. jegross2

Ill be there at 11 on the nose
  12. I am really hoping to finally try BA Robert, can't even there till close 3 though
  13. MasterSki

I may swing by later today to see if there is some sort of schedule. I figure I'll buy a raffle ticket as I like the cause...
  14. Lansman

Lansman Savant (400) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

Just stopped by - general raffle tickets not yet available, Grand Prize tickets available.

I asked about the tap list and they gave me the "tentative" tap list printed out on two sheets. Surly Five and BA Robert the Bruce, in addition to other top draws, all tapping at 11 AM. Kind of a bummer that the best stuff is tapping long before working folks can get there. Other taps - 5 PM: Zombie Dust and Surly Hell; 7 PM: Mikkeler 1000 IBU, etc.
    ravot likes this.
  15. Dammit. Heres to hoping that most people are busy working.
    ravot likes this.
  16. thetomG

thetomG Savant (430) Illinois Feb 17, 2010

Cool - thanks for the info. Sucks about the stuff going on at 11am as I won't be there until 6 at the earliest and they will likely be long gone by then but oh well - still such a great cause its hard to complain about any aspect of the event.

For those that get there early to snag a glass of some of those early special tappings, enjoy!
  17. jegross2

Awesome. Can only go 11-12 anyway :)
  18. TMoney2591

TMoney2591 Champion (895) Illinois Apr 21, 2009

If no one can get there, then there should be plenty to go around later on then...Something tells me some will be left over by the time you get to drop in (assuming you can, o' course)...
  19. immobilisme

I will probably be there at around 11, ah the joys of being unemployed!
    MasterSki and ravot like this.
  20. ravot

ravot Savant (460) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

lunch hour? tempted to do the same. and uh i'm working ACROSS THE STREET UGH! maybe i'll do a short/half day.
  21. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

I would absolutely kill to go at 11!...or at all for that matter.

And for people who havent had BA RObert......i just had it today. Prepare to have your socks rocked off.
  22. ravot

Where did you have it?
  23. The22Lou

The22Lou Aficionado (190) Oregon Jun 1, 2011

im very excited, getting there at 11, looking forward to seeing you guys
  24. jegross2

My bar exam course is 1-5:30 every day. I'm Glad I dont do the morning session :D
  25. Pub currently has the BA Robert on tap...
  26. ravot

ISO: jobs that let me leave at 10:30am to get to my happy hour at 11am.

You'll be feeling good doing your courses then jegross. nice.

it really is going to hurt working 50 feet and missing on the action for a while. maybe 3pm could be an early day....
  27. jegross2

Extended smoke break that has I be taken outside anyways...heh
    ravot likes this.
  28. immobilisme

Here is the official starting line-up from Northdown's Facebook:

11AM TAP LINEUP

Nøgne Ø Tiger Tripel
    SURLY 5
    3 FLOYDS BARREL AGED ROBERT THE BRUCE
    FIRESTONE WALKER UNION JACK IPA
    3 FLOYDS HELL'S BLACK INTELLIGENCER
    STIEGL PILS
    PERENNIAL SAISON DE LIS
    ATG/MIKKELLER BLOODY SHOW
    BELLS OARSMAN
    WEIHENSTAPHANER HEFE WEISSBIER
    MIKKELLER BEER GEEK BREAKFAST STOUT
    3 FLOYDS DREADNAUGHT
  29. jegross2

Perfect. The two beers I wanted on tap right away!
  30. immobilisme

Stiegl Pils and Oarsman?
    ravot likes this.
  31. jegross2

32. TotallyHosed

TotallyHosed Savant (340) Illinois Jun 20, 2009

Lunch at Northdown: see you guys there.
  33. dmsulli

dmsulli Savant (270) Illinois Jan 30, 2012

You guys ought to split the Pulled Pork Frites while you're there. They are to die for.

Literally, you ARE going to die of heart failure after you consume them.
    ravot likes this.
  34. jegross2

35. If you did the morning session you'd be there all afternoon though.

God, third year of law school and bar exam summer were so nice.
  36. ravot

ISO: ZOMIE DUST
  37. haha nice catch ravot, I hate reading sideways almost as much as I hate oarsmans ale

edit: mehh no FW reserves :(
  38. Does that mean that even if Robert is still available come 3pm, they are taking it off tap? Fuck I should be there just before 3 and really hope to get a glass. Someone there hold me a glass!