Northern Lights Rare Beer Fest

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by igor, Jan 13, 2014.

1. HoudiniRN

HoudiniRN Savant (315) Minnesota Feb 28, 2014

nogophers likes this.
  2. BierVogel

BierVogel Savant (280) Minnesota Oct 29, 2012

Does anyone plan on going to this that does not have a ticket yet? I bought one and can no longer go. Selling for $90, so if you're going to buy one anyway, buy from me!!!

3. I'm extremely jealous of the Lakefront brews they're bringing. Chad is by far the best barleywine I've ever had. The flavor in that is insane. Rum barrel aged Imperial Stout and Eastside Dark...those will be amazing.

Also, Central Waters 16. Probably the most underrated barrel aged stouts out there. It blows BCBS out of the water.

McRyan and SipIt like this.
  4. SipIt

SipIt Aficionado (205) Minnesota Jul 18, 2013

I love 16, but am a bit confused about it being underrated. I haven't heard anyone putting it down or even saying it isn't a world class brew. This site even rates it a 100 or 4.54 rAvg, which is pretty d@mn good isn't it?

5. BierVogel

I don't think anyone is putting down 16, and it is freakin' fantastic, perhaps he just means that there's not as much hype around it as there should be?

ToadiesForCody likes this.
  6. Yeah my bad, that is what I meant, haha. The release of 15 last year had a cult following around it, but for some reason this year it's been very quiet. Seems strange since 16 was aged in higher quality barrels too.

7. SipIt

Ah, gotcha. I wasn't on BA when 15 was released to know a difference.

8. theCoder

theCoder Savant (340) Minnesota Oct 24, 2011

WOW...boy...shoot I was going to do my own tasting the 29th but moved it to 4/12. That's a helluva lineup but $$$ eh maybe.

9. BierVogel

If you're interested, I'll sell my ticket to you for $80. I can't go.

10. nogophers

nogophers Savant (295) Minnesota Jun 28, 2011

11. theCoder

theCoder Savant (340) Minnesota Oct 24, 2011

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH man so tempting dude, I have to pay the tax man a pile of $$$ or I'd probably take you up on that. This is why my main beer budget is $0 this year and I'm brewing all/most of my beer consumed so I could save for the knowing expense.

12. MNHazmat

MNHazmat Aficionado (175) Minnesota Oct 23, 2008

Any reviews of the event?

McRyan and copslovebeer like this.
  13. mjryan

mjryan Advocate (515) Minnesota Dec 22, 2007

It was pretty awesome.

BeerGoogler likes this.
  14. Awesome was an understatement! This was such a well put on event! The location and the food was very good, but the beer lineups were awesome! I bet this event sells out in 15 minutes next year. Great job to the guys that put it on.

BeerGoogler and SipIt like this.
  15. ajax6262

ajax6262 Aficionado (100) Minnesota Feb 20, 2008

Probably the best run beer festival I've ever been to. The venue was spectacular, and laid out really well. The food was excellent, and the beer was stellar. The Huckleberry Sour from Grand Teton won, and it was well deserved. Easily my favorite beer of the night. Close second was the nitro cold press with vanilla from Bent Paddle.

It was great to not have to wait in line for anything. Just as an example, if you go to ABR, Surly has a line about 100 deep for the most recent vintage Darkness. This festival had both '10 and '11 Darkness, and there was absolutely no wait. It was that way for everything. Blew away my expectations.

There were several well placed soda, coffee, and water tables, and pretty much every table had a pitcher with water and a dump bucket for rinsing.

If I had to sum up the festival in one word, it would be classy. Each and every table had a big professionally printed banner clearly stating what they were pouring, which was a nice touch. It's the little things that I'd never even thought about that made this a great experience for me.

I will be buying tickets for next year without question.

16. Cyclone8

Cyclone8 Savant (475) Minnesota Oct 19, 2011

I don't mean to sound cynical, but in the interest of full disclosure, do you work for this Festival/are you associated with it somehow? These are a lot of glowing words from someone who has never posted in the Midwest Forum in the 6 years that they've been on BA. It uses hyperbole to make ABR sound bad (100 people in line at Surly? 40, maybe), and it reads like a press release.

If not and it was all that great - fantastic!

17. FourBetter

FourBetter Savant (265) Minnesota Nov 12, 2010

This x2 !!

SipIt likes this.
  18. ajax6262

ajax6262 Aficionado (100) Minnesota Feb 20, 2008

I appreciate the skepticism. But I don't work for the festival, nor do I work for any of its sponsors, or know anyone behind the organizers. I actually didn't mean to make ABR sound bad. I love ABR, and have a blast there every year. But for the special release tappings, the line does get extremely long. I've never counted the exact number. Even if it is only 40, that's still 20 times longer than the longest line I encountered on Saturday!

I've been a long time lurker on BA, and use this forum for gathering info, and haven't really had all that much to add to discussions until this. I think as more reviews start coming in, they'll confirm what I reported. This festival was executed nearly flawlessly. Is it worth the $100? I can't answer that for anyone else, but for me, I'd say yes.

19. Cyclone8

Cyclone8 Savant (475) Minnesota Oct 19, 2011

Cool, thanks for the response. It does sound like a great event!

20. SipIt

I had absolutely no stake in this event whatsoever, and fully agree with the other posts. It was awesome, flat out awesome. Is $100, spendy? Sure, but to be in a very relaxed atmosphere with outstanding beer, I'll gladly pay.

Btw, I was most surprised by Bemidji Brewing. I found their Flemish and Brett Saison very impressive.

McRyan and mjchapley like this.
  21. XmnwildX12

XmnwildX12 Champion (795) Minnesota Nov 12, 2010

They do put on great events, have been to Denver Rare the last two years. I think I am a bit spoiled by those tap lists (Utopias, Napa County, Waelzblood, Kate the Great, etc.) so I passed on this event. Curious as to why there wasn't a shirt for the event like at Denver Rare?

22. SipIt

I'm sure there are events with some more 'rare' brews out there, but there was still plenty of great stuff IMO. As far as the shirts go, I have no clue, but it was nice that they gave out a full size goblet instead of those little tasters you normally get.

jesseparker1 likes this.
  23. nogophers

nogophers Savant (295) Minnesota Jun 28, 2011

Great review. Huckleberry Sour...Sounds delicious and a well-deserved win!

24. I was there, and I have no affiliation with this event or with Chop Liver. I completely agree with all of the above statements and only have exclamation points to add. Such a great time. I did chat with one of the organizers and he explained that--as they expect with first-year festivals--there were not many participants. He said it was nearly 500 on the spot, including the volunteer staff running the food stations, doors, etc. I really don't expect that next year, which makes this a special treat for those of us who ponied up and experienced one of the best smaller beer festivals you could imagine. Auto-buy for next year (actually, I signed up to volunteer).

SipIt likes this.
  25. The last thing I'll say is that Bemidji Brewing was the surprise for me. That place hasn't been around long, but they showed up with a really great gose, and had a brett saison and a sour that were amazing!

SipIt likes this.
  26. HoudiniRN

How many people do you think were there? That is my only complaint about some of these "fests"... Over capacity for what they have...

27. SipIt

I think as BeerGoogler mentioned, it was around 500. It was by far the best beer event I've attended relative to waiting in lines and having the ability to try any brew there. You didn't have to wait 5 seconds to get Darkness '10, Darkness '11, CW 16, LB BA Silhouette, or TH Double Barrel Jack Frost. It was the most relaxed atmosphere around great beer I've ever witnessed.

BeerGoogler and HoudiniRN like this.
  28. HoudiniRN

Son of a Bi....I have whatever the opposite of Buyers Remorse is... Thanks for the info!

BeerGoogler likes this.