1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Not buying the same beer twice all year

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Justind04, Feb 3, 2013.

1. I ran across someone who made a New Years resolution last year not to buy the same beer twice all year. I thought this was an awesome challenge, so I am going to attempt it this year. I have gotten off to a slow start, but over the weekend I have started picking up some steam.... My only kryptonite will be when the Oberon starts flowing at the end of spring, guess I will have to get a keg to keep from buying it twice..... Hope to end with a huge variety of beers conquered!
    JxExM likes this.
  2. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I consider myself a pretty dedicated ticker, but even I would fail miserably at this challenge.
  3. I'd trade you some taste buds, not a fan of Oberon at all myself. There's plenty of refreshing session ales out there. I'd probably have the hardest time not buying a beer like Two Hearted twice. I do like this challenge. I think I sort of did this the first year I got into craft. I was obsessed with trying new beers. I've sort of settled on what I like for my beers to have around when I just want a beer.
  4. Does it count as not buying something twice if you buy a case of it once?
  5. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Be wary of this trade OP, he gave Abt 12 a 2 so I think he is going to be sending some of his malfunctioning buds your way. :p
    dachshunddude86 and tectactoe like this.
  6. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Absolutely not doable for me. Good luck to you, fella.
    szmnnl99 likes this.
  7. jawzman

jawzman Aficionado (210) Minnesota Mar 20, 2010

Interesting challenge, though sometimes its nice to go back to something familiar. Its kind of like establishing a baseline. I would amend that challenge to allow for one "go to" beer, if I were to do something like that. Trying new beers is awesome and I am trying new stuff constantly, but damn man, sometimes I just want my old faithful.
    leezy and ColdOne like this.
  8. RichD

RichD Advocate (640) Rhode Island Mar 18, 2012

I think this is do-able if you buy a case or so of each type of beer you like. It will be extremely tough when those hard to find seasonals come out and you're only able to get a four pack at each store. With that being said, good luck and happy drinking!
  9. fx20736

fx20736 Advocate (510) New York Mar 7, 2009

I would have much better luck going a whole year without trying another new beer.
  10. RJM

RJM Initiate (0) Djibouti Jan 20, 2013

I wouldn't have to change my drinking habits much to do this actually... of course since i work in the industry it's actually difficult to get around to having a beer more than once sometimes...
  11. Blanco

Blanco Savant (490) Pennsylvania Oct 11, 2008

I would not get much benefit from even trying such a challenge. Right now I have a pretty good balance between new beers and my favorites.
  12. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

I think I have done this... inadvertently, but I think I have...
  13. COBeerBuff

COBeerBuff Savant (335) Kansas Jan 4, 2009

I completely agree with this! Although this challenge would certainly lessen the impact on my wallet if I could only buy one 4-pack one time. hahaha
  14. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (545) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

I couldn't do it. There are things I just like to have. For instance, since discovering Jacks Abby, there will be Hoponius or Smoke and Dagger in the house. Maybe loyalty means squat, but it is just the way I am about things. I can't see not buying the faves and only trying new things. I mix in new things to try. I could do a new beer a week easily and still support my faves.

That said, I did have sixty eight different beers in six months last year....
    Jnorton00 likes this.
  15. i can get some oberon still found a store right by me with like 10 six packs
  16. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

It was never a conscious decision, but I've probably more or less been doing this right along. I'll always buy a 6-pack of Celebration or a few bottles of Abyss or Parabola when they come out, but there just aren't that many year-round beers that I buy regularly, if at all. I'm having a hard enough time just keeping up with all the seasonals and limiteds that interest me.

Now not drinking the same beer twice all year... that's another story.
    MisterGrizz, beertunes and ESeab like this.
  17. I did give Rochefort 10 a 4.5 so cut me some slack lol. Maybe my fresh taste buds know something, only having Abt 12 shortly after turning 21. I actually think it was a bad bottle though.
  18. Not buy the same beer twice or not drink the same beer twice?

I hope you succeed, I really do, but I'm going to finish my three 6 packs of Hopslam in the meantime.
  19. I almost always buy something new, but there's no chance in hell that I could abstain from buying Blind Pig more than once in a year.

EDIT: If you buy three cases of the same beer at the same time, is that buying it more than once?
  20. I don't intentionally try to avoid buying the same beer multiple times in a year but there are a lot of beers I only end up buying once or twice. I don't drink an enormous amount of beer and most of my drinking these days is homebrew (so I do drink a lot of the same beers). I'm not a ticker, I just like to taste different beers and explore new flavors. If I go to one of my usual beer bars there's a good chance I'll have a pint or two of a familiar beer but I haven't had the time to get out and drink publicly in a while.
  21. Not buying.... I have been buying at least a 6 of each. I will take almost any free beer....... that is Amendment 1
    ColdOne and ESeab like this.
  22. Adamdc

Adamdc Savant (275) Massachusetts Nov 18, 2007

Would i be disqualified if I bought 10 cases of Heady Topper on Jan. 1st?
    luwak likes this.
  23. CASK1

CASK1 Savant (345) Florida Jan 7, 2010

My downfall would be the local brewpub(s). While they have seasonals and occasional "one-offs", I go often enough that I could never go a year without having to buy the same beer multiple times. Not going to my favorite watering holes is NOT an option.
  24. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Savant (460) Minnesota Aug 21, 2005

Why would you turn your back on beer that you know you enjoy just to not drink the same beer twice in a year. I'm all for trying something new and do it all the time, it's a great time for good beer. But enjoying some of my "go to" beer several times throughout the year is a no brainer. Everyone seems to be getting caught up in new beers trumping the previous ones. But if you're honest with yourself, you know many of your previous favorites are still great. You drink good beer because you enjoy it. Nothing wrong with sharing the love between the new and the old. ;)
  25. azureoval

azureoval Savant (400) California Jan 25, 2010

No way, I could not give up multiple Celebration, Red Chair or Noble Pils.
  26. powpig2002

powpig2002 Savant (325) Florida Jan 26, 2012

tickers will tick. FRESH jai alai once a year? fug that.
  27. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

I joined Untappd on Christmas day and since then I've had 59 distinct beers. No way I could only have my favorites just once in a year though.
  28. This is what I do already. :eek:
    luwak likes this.
  29. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (925) North Carolina Dec 8, 2007 Staff Member

I accomplished this last year (with the exception of times I purchased for someone else).
    luwak likes this.
  30. thats dumb, to be frank.

Id have GLBC Christmas Ale late this year, then buy it on Nov 1. of this year.
  31. Heck with that! Considering a lot of bars i go to when visiting a show have a smaller selection this would be impossible for me. And some beers are just too delicious to not want again in a short period of time. I'm all for trying new beers though, I just refuse to limit myself.
  32. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (620) Florida Jul 15, 2011

Seriously. Fresh Jai Alai about once a week for me.
  33. No way I could do that. I need my comfort beers in the fridge along with any new ones I try.
  34. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Savant (325) Michigan Sep 6, 2012

I find myself only buying seasonal and very limited release beers these days, given there may be a few duplicates, I think that I do this almost every year. I attempt to buy a case if I can get my hands on that quantity of all the beers that I eagerly await each year, Shorts Woodmaster, anny ale, shorts cake, Founders Backwoods, KBS, Imperial stout, Bells Black Note, and Sierra Nevada Bigfoot are a few off the top of my head that I loaded up on over the last year. I stock up the fridge/cellar with however many I can get my hands on.

The only time I end up doubling up is during the summer months, all my favorite beers come out from Sept.-Apr., so the summer months are filled with mix six packs that undoubtedly end up having duplicates.
  35. beerindex

beerindex Savant (295) Missouri Jun 18, 2007

This would be pretty easy to do for me. Except when I am in a restaurant and really want a beer despite their poor selection, I don't re-buy beers I've had (as a general rule, though there've been a few rare exceptions, like Black Biscuit or 120 Minute IPA). And the friends I drink with most have been trained in such a way that this wouldn't mean having to turn down more than a handful of beers.
  36. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Im a ticker at heart, but not depriving myself of having something I love more than once.

BRB guys Trying to fit my 2 cases of Nugget Nectar in the fridge.
  37. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (520) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

Too hard if you ever drink at bars. Even if you only occasionally go out you'll be up against a wall pretty soon.
  38. MisterGrizz

MisterGrizz Savant (280) Texas Jan 8, 2011

Wha.. what? ISO Heady Topper.