1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Comment Not receiving alerts when I choose to "watch thread"

Discussion in 'Site' started by Providence, Feb 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey folks, I have created two different threads in the past couple of weeks and chose the option to "watch thread" when doing so (each time, I chose not to receive the e-mail updates). In the past when I have done this I have always received a message in my "alerts" at the top of the page when someone responded to the thread. With these two threads however, I received alerts initially but then the alerts stopped coming. With one of the threads I recieved alerts everyimte someone responded for about five days, then they stopped coming in even though (as I later found out) people were still responding to them. With the other thread, the alerts stopped coming after less than 24 hours (again, even though folks were responding to them). Has anyone else had this problem? I searched the forum for this type of issue, but didn't see anything.

Thanks in advance for any advice or assistance.

ant880 likes this.
  2. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

I have never received alerts for watched threads. Just click the watched threads button.

Onenote81 likes this.
  3. There in lies the problem. I was receiving alerts on the regular, thus I became accustomed to it. The problem is, sometimes it still works. For example, your response to this thread, which I am watching, showed up in my alerts. Obviously I can just click the "watched threads" button as you suggested, but I'd like to just get the alerts as I used.

4. Sidebordz

Sidebordz Aficionado (205) New York Apr 23, 2011

Check your alert preferences in your profile, and make sure everything is checked off. Although this is most likely not the problem, as the same thing happens to me when I watch a thread. Good Luck

Providence likes this.
  5. Same for me.

6. FYI. I am still having this problem. I'd estimate 80% of the threads I watch I receive alerts for (which makes me forget that I have the problem). Then I remember a thread I was watching and haven't received alerts on, go check in on it and see that it's been responded to multiple times.

Is there something I am doing wrong on my end?

7. gpawned

gpawned Initiate (0) Illinois Jun 5, 2012

I've been having this problem lately too. I have only one hypothesis (and have no idea if it is right)...when I view the alert and go to the thread, I continue to get the alerts for those threads I visit. Sometimes if I don't visit the thread, the alerts turn off. That is my best guess.

thedarkestlord likes this.
  8. This. I found that you have to click on the alert every time, or you wont get anymore alerts until you revist the thread.

9. radio2525

radio2525 Savant (255) Ohio Feb 14, 2012

This is what i have found as well when i don't visit the thread for every alert it stops sending them.

*beating by seconds

10. gpawned

I definitely expected people to tell me I was wrong, glad to have the mystery solved.

11. I always check the alert. Additionally, there are threads that I have created, clicked "watch thread," and not even received an alert when the very first person responded to it.

12. gpawned

ps. this was much more what I was expecting. sorry I couldn't be of more help.

13. I am assuming this issue is small potatoes compared to the other issues people are having. Understandably so. But I did post this 5 weeks ago and still a mod is yet to respond to this. I understand that you guys are busy. Nevertheless, if it's not too much trouble, it'd be nice to hear from a mod on this one. I am not saying you've got to fix the issue or tell me what I am doing wrong; but it would be helpful to know that you've read this thread and are aware of my situation. A simple "we'll look into it" or a "you're doing it incorrectly" would help, as it would give me a starting point. I wouldn't post a response to this if other issues weren't getting responses. However, every other issue on the first page of the "Feedback & Help" page of BA has received a response from a mod, so I figured mine may have slipped through the cracks for one reason or another.

14. Todd

Todd Founder (1,440) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Correct. This isn't a priority. We've also been busy hosting events and I needed time to research the issue to see if it's a bug or not.

According to the forum developer ...
    Viewing a watched thread also changes the state of the system/alerts.

The alert system could change with future updates, but as of now it's working as designed and has been deemed "not a bug" by the developer.

Thanks.

15. I appreciate the response. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.