Not Your Father's Root Beer 10.7% Goes National

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by FenderOffset238, Apr 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FenderOffset238

FenderOffset238 Zealot (627) May 27, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Remember all those ISO:FT that used to fly around here?... Seems to be no longer necessary. 10.7% version looks like it will see distro throughout their footprint.

###

Small Town Brewery and Wisconsin Brewing Company Announce National Roll-out of 10.7% ABV Not Your Father’s Root Beer

Following the industry-defining success of Not Your Father’s Root Beer, Small Town Brewery partners with Wisconsin Brewing Company to introduce popular high-alcohol brew

Wauconda, IL – April 19, 2016 - Small Town Brewery (“Small Town”) and Wisconsin Brewing Company announced today that they will be partnering exclusively to launch the 10.7% ABV version of Not Your Father’s Root Beer nation-wide. This iteration marks the third nationally distributed product from Small Town Brewery after last year’s rollouts of Not Your Father’s RootBeer 5.9% and Not Your Father’s Ginger Ale. Until now, this higher strength version of Not Your Father’s Root Beer has only been available in limited quantities in the Chicagoland area.

“The 10.7% was one of our earliest brews and has been amazingly popular since day one,” said Tim Kovac, founder and Brewmaster at Small Town. “Demand is strong and has been growing. The biggest challenge of rolling out this product nationally was finding a partner who could scale up production while consistently maintaining our quality standards. The collaboration with Wisconsin Brewing Company has been a great fit – their skill and dedication to craft brewing are unparalleled.”

Innovation has been the hallmark at Small Town Brewery and its flagship beer, Not Your Father’s Root Beer 5.9%, has become the #1 selling (6-pack bottle) craft beer in America. As the craft beer industry continues to grow, Not Your Father’s Root Beer has made up a full third of that growth YTD in 2016. [1]

“Our values at Wisconsin Brewing Company include working with people, like Tim and the team from Small Town, who share our passion for innovation and commitment to quality,” said Carl Nolen, president & CEO of Wisconsin Brewing Company. “As a result of this great collaborative effort, and months of trials, we’ve perfected and scaled a formula that perfectly matches the quality of the original Not Your Father’s Root Beer.”

Not Your Father’s Root Beer 10.7% will be available on draft in restaurants and bars across the country. Limited edition 22oz. bombers will also be released to key off-premise accounts three times per year, with a suggested retail price of $7.99. The rollout will begin in Illinois in May, with the national roll-out expanding to additional states over the summer season. The brew should be available in 45 states by fall 2016. Maine, Mississippi, Montana, New Hampshire, and Tennessee will be excluded due to state regulations limiting ABV content in beer.

###

dar482, HighWine and IpeeA like this.
  2. R3ason

R3ason Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2014 Colorado

22oz? :grimacing:

Don't know if I need that much in one sitting, but not having to buy a whole six pack does make me more in favor of picking one up...

3. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina

Holy Crap, I see some boozy root beer floats this summer

gopens44, edd562 and NealioATX like this.
  4. FenderOffset238

FenderOffset238 Zealot (627) May 27, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

And some diabetes... I plan on sharing with a friend or sipping slowly over a hot summer afternoon - perhaps a float too!

5. Patches826

Patches826 Pooh-Bah (2,345) Aug 28, 2013 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

And some lawuits... Teenagers are gonna try to get their hands on this left and right.

6. DrumKid003

DrumKid003 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 Oklahoma

I'm already diabetic. So... bring it on.

7. papat444

papat444 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2006 Canada (QC)

Cool, will make a nice camping brew. Too bad they're not in king cans :grinning:

foundersfan1 and NealioATX like this.
  8. Jaay7

Jaay7 Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2013 Indiana

22 oz bottles? meh,i think the canned version tasted better

NealioATX likes this.
  9. krjoseph

krjoseph Aspirant (200) Aug 3, 2012 Tennessee

Although the reasoning is flawed, I'm glad it's not coming to Tennessee! TN does not have an ABV cap, only a distinction between low-gravity and high-gravity, which dictates how the beverage is taxed and distributed. The low-grav cap is 6.2 ABV, and it is raising to 10.1 July 2017. But high-grav is anything goes, just has to be sold at a liquore store. A mild annoyance, but not a limitation.

10. glass_house

glass_house Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2014 Ohio

I thought the lower abv version was a nice novelty that I do enjoy once in a while. But there is no way in hell I'll spend $8 on a bomber of this one.

NotHereForGold likes this.
  11. tillmac62

tillmac62 Pooh-Bah (2,835) Oct 2, 2013 South Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

I think they made a mistake using the bomber format. 22oz. of that is too much for a single sitting, IMHO.

12. mwa423

mwa423 Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2007 Ohio

This brings up an interesting question. We know that NYFRB/Coney Island/etc. are all FMBs (essentially lime-a-rita's with root beer flavoring) but this has too high of an alcohol content for that to be the case. So, my assumption is they're brewing a herb/spiced beer and then just dumping the same syrup into it.

Here's the interesting thing, considering the extremely loose definition of "craft beer" that many are willing to accept here, this would now pretty easily fall into the definition of a "craft beer"....

13. Crim122

Crim122 Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 North Carolina

Still dont want it.

14. jfcook90

jfcook90 Initiate (0) Jul 8, 2015 Alabama

gross.... don't like it being called "craft beer"

hophead607, rgordon, ahawkman and 4 others like this.
  15. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

I remember when I first tried NYFRB, and how excited I was. Then I realized I was getting excited about pop with alcohol in it and now I pretty much hate it.

ebin6, elmattador3976 and R3ason like this.
  16. WarbyJones

WarbyJones Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2014 New Hampshire

This is the first I've heard of an ABV cap in Maine... and we've seen 18% ABV beers. I call BS on this.

17. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

I still enjoy the way they dance around who owns them.

18. canadia70

canadia70 Initiate (0) Oct 20, 2014 Tennessee

Tennessee excluded due to state ABV regulations? That's weird, we get everything else high-gravity distributed here.

19. HeyItsThatGuy

HeyItsThatGuy Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2016 Illinois

Trying to get me drunk faster is an honest tactic, buuuuuuuut No. Still do not want. Still do not care.

20. Wolfhead

Wolfhead Initiate (0) Sep 1, 2009 Illinois

The 10.7% is the best of the three versions of NYFRB, good for a snifter dessert if you will and 22oz is a lot. A four pack might be perfect. Having all three numerous times the lower ABV version is best for a Black Cow, IMO and the 19.5% version is a bit scary, more like a liqueur if you will.
    I'm not a pop drinker but enjoy this every now and then.
    He also has an Apple Pie version which maybe even better than the Root Beer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.