1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

NOTF/BBF 2013: Thanks, Feedback & Favorites

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Fests' started by Todd, Sep 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd

Todd Founder (1,410) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

On behalf of Jason and the rest of Team BeerAdvocate, I'd like to thank everyone who supported this year's Night of the Funk & Belgian Beer Fest. Not only was it one of the smoothest fests we've hosted, but the quality of beers and people on the floor was high.

To help us keep the bar high, please take a moment to tell us what worked, didn't work and things like you'd like to see at future fests. Tried some favorites? Let's hear those too.

And let's hear it for our kick-ass volunteers! We couldn't do it without them.

Until the next fest ...

Cheers!
  2. Outstanding as always ... it's amazing how well-run these events are, you guys really do a bang-up job. The fests are our favorite nights of the year and we always meet some great people. Thanks!
  3. I really liked that the smaller number of tickets for NotF allowed the lines to move really quickly. (Except for half the room waiting for DDG at one point, which actually helped since it freed up almost every other table.) Plenty of room to move around and open tables so sit and have a bite to eat was relaxing and made for an awesome beer night. Thanks to everyone who made it happen, countdown to next year is already ticking.
  4. I really enjoyed this event. Incredibly well-run and a great beer selection. Even the food was way above average for a beer event. That was the best waffle I've ever had :).
  5. I went to both, not a move I would advise or do next year, Saturday I literally took a sip rolled it around my taste buds and handed it to my husband, which caused him to be told off at one point for drinking from two cups though it was all my weak livered fault.
    Friday was so awesome, I don't think there was a bad beer in the room. Now to be drummed out of beer advocate, I tried the Cantillon and all the Lost Abbey beers and was more awed by Allagash Avancé, Avery Ross’s’s’ Melange and Volunt Plus Erat.
    I can't thank everyone enough. My thoughts on why somebody thought this was under attended was it was all so smooth many people had the time and space to sit down and pause. Having tables made it so much more easy to relax. We were in early caught Cantillon and Lost Abbey in the first 10 minutes then could browse with ease. We experienced no real lines and were overwhelmed with awesome beer, awesome people, I couldn't imagine anything running smoother.
  6. mdfb79

mdfb79 Advocate (670) New York Jan 11, 2010

Highlights from the weekend for me were:

Friday:
    LA DDG
    Cantillon Lou Pepe
    DF Intense Red
    Avery Volunt Plus Erat
    Allagash Avance
    Trillium Culture Club

and

Saturday:
    Cantillon St. Lamvinus
    DF Oude Gueuze
    Trillium New England Red
    Allagash's Golden Brett and Saison Rye
    Tilquin a L'Ancienne
    Brooklyn Cuvee de Boite

I was shocked DDG lasted so long on Friday and Cantillon and DF lasted so long at the Saturday night session; it was great to see there was plenty of them and get to try them more than once. Aside from the DDG line Friday night, there were basically no lines longer than a minute, and I thought both days went great. Had a fantastic time as always.
  7. Kudos to the 'new' entry system this year for the BBF, compared to the last four or five years. Maybe you instituted it earlier for other Fests but this was the first time I encountered it (I only go to BBF).

Having your 'employees' go down the line that snakes around the Boston Ballet, first checking IDs and then scanning tickets/distributing wrist bands was a huge help. When the doors opened, I was inside quickly, compared to past years where it could take me 45 mins (or longer) to get from the corner of Clarendon/Tremont into the BBF.

Also, did you folks sell less tickets this year? For the first hour or so the room wasn't as packed as past years; it was actually easy to move around.

Still have to solve the bathroom problem, however, lines are just too long at the end...
  8. Todd

Todd Founder (1,410) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Yes. All sessions soldout well in advance.

As for the bathrooms: The Cyclorama has always been a problem. We've explored options over the past 10 years, but unfortunately there's no feasible solution. The venue simply isn't designed for it.

Thanks for the feedback.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.