1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Comment Notifications for deleted posts?

Discussion in 'Site' started by coreymcafee, Feb 24, 2012.

1. coreymcafee

coreymcafee Savant (350) Colorado May 30, 2006

Quick question...if you have a post that gets deleted, are you notified in any way? I posted yesterday and went back to find the post to update, and all I get when go to the post is an error message (clicked link from both emailed response-tracker and google search).

Just trying to figure out if this is a potential issue with the new site or if the post was deleted. I've never had a post deleted before so I don't know what happens.

2. nicnut45

nicnut45 Savant (290) Illinois Jan 6, 2007

I'm wondering the same thing. A notification of why it was deleted would be nice.

3. I've also had about three or four vanish in the last day or so. They were very non offensive and respectful, so I am wondering if there's another issue.

4. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

You get no notification unless you are in trouble for your post, then you get an instant message saying what you did wrong. Otherwise, if it wasn't offensive and just off topic or silly or something your post or thread just disappears.

5. Todd

Todd Founder (1,440) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

If a post was reported (by another BA) for a rule violation the user will get notified via an auto-warning (if mods agree with the report) and the content will be removed, otherwise there's no notification. We could turn on alerts/conversations upon deletion, but it's automated and doesn't provide a reason.

If an entire thread gets removed, so do the replies with no notifications; that's just how it works.

6. Todd

Pretty much, and providing a reason by starting a conversation would be a general waste of everyone's time in most cases.

7. Todd

We can also do public warnings with reasons, but that would mean leaving the content up ... when in most cases it should be removed.

8. Hanzo

So when a post is reported it automatically warns the poster? But the content is reviewed by a moderator before it is removed to make sure the complaint was valid right?

9. Todd

User reports content > Mod reviews the report/content > Warning issued/conversation > Content deleted.

Otherwise report is ignored if we don't agree.

10. Hanzo

Gotcha. This just sounded like it was a done deal once they clicked report the poster would get an alert in their inbox.

11. Todd

Yeah, I updated the post. It's not auto on report.

Hanzo likes this.