1. The BeerAdvocate Store is back! Pre-order your stuff now. Items begin shipping Dec 15. Christmas deadline = Dec 18 @ 5pm EST.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Nugget Nectar?

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by cbeer88, Jan 28, 2013.

1. jomobono

jomobono Savant (400) Massachusetts Mar 12, 2012

Julio's said it would be coming this week. They also said they were releasing it in bombers as well as the six packs.

mschofield likes this.
  2. I was told that it will arrive in warehouses this week and will likely be on shelves in the South Shore next week.

3. Man, NN and Sucks in short succession.... Allllllll of the hops.

Boomblaze likes this.
  4. the below quote was posted on the Troegs MA facebook page on 1/23.

"RE Nugget bottles- they should start appearing in stores statewide Monday, 2/4. Outside shot at next week, but doubtful. Cheers."

jomobono likes this.
  5. drocpsu

drocpsu Savant (265) New Hampshire Dec 25, 2006

Nice. I'll have to see where I can find some! Unfortunately, I won't be down in Boston any time soon.

6. Is it back to it's former glory or the same crap they put out last year?

WeymouthMike and ICCULIS like this.
  7. is this a serious post or just making fun of the typical "last year's was better"? i only ask because last year's was the first time i ever had it, and while i liked it, i was not as impressed as the hype made me think i would be.

8. ms11781

ms11781 Savant (405) Massachusetts Jul 20, 2008

I fall into the category of people who think the complaints about nearly all established seasonals not being as good as the previous year are ridiculous. I think last year's NN wasn't up to par. A nice hoppy amber? Yep. The beer that warranted all the hype when Troegs came to MA? Not even close.

9. It was serious. I drank half of one and gave the rest of my 6-pack away.

10. I've heard next week from a couple different folks in the know.

11. Heh. Amusing- in that while I disagree on last year's (I thought last year was good, maybe even "pretty damn good")... but the year before that (no, I'm not kidding... so that would be 2011s) I thought was actually a BAD beer. 2011... same response as BearsOnAcid.

Eh. Seasonals. Agricultural ingredients. Changeable. Go figure.

I'll still check this years batch, no doubt.

12. That's all its ever been imo. Its in the same vein as SN Celebration imo - full flavored, nicely balanced, wicked drinkable, but no hop bomb.

MyIronLung likes this.
  13. I like it because it's something a bit different than a standard IPA. Now we have Zoe in the same vein, but that's about 4x the price...

14. First version of Mayflower Spring Hop too. Last year's not so much though...

Fluke828 likes this.
  15. NN's release triggers my brain to think "it's hoppy red season" and so I'll first reach for Lagunitas Imperial Red, which I prefer slightly more (though I'll probably grab a couple bottles of NN as well). But Imperial Red seems to have vanished for the time being...so I may buy a bunch more NN after all.

Actually I see Imperial Red has recent reviews, but I haven't seen it around, and it's not mentioned at all on the Lagunitas site. I'm confused.

16. For me, NN's draw is all about the balance. That's more impressive than over-the-top hoppiness IMO.

17. Agreed. I really like Nugget Nectar, but I had Lagunitas Imperial Red for the first time last year and felt it was better. Didn't do a side-by-side though. Maybe this year. I had the Imperial Red in March last year, maybe it's released in the late winter?

18. Yep - first year was incredible. Last year forgettable. I hope they found enough Citra this year...

19. emannths

emannths Savant (425) Massachusetts Sep 21, 2007

Yes! Hopefully they got their hops in order this year to bring it back to its former glory.

Jinx!

20. Pretty sure Lagunitas Red isn't going to be produced this year, or so I've heard. Kind of a bummer as I really liked that beer last spring a bit more than NN.

21. Has anyone seen this around yet ?

22. CTBeerPope

CTBeerPope Savant (280) Connecticut Jan 30, 2012

It's supposed to hit stores tomorrow. Needless to say I can't wait. Just gotta figure out what store to hit that's closest to CT.

23. CBC Belmonts got it today!

24. How about Yankee Spirits?

25. bootdown21

bootdown21 Savant (425) Connecticut May 14, 2009

Julio's posted that they have it available.

26. Here's what I heard about last year's:
    Due to the switch to the new brewery, they hadn't worked out all of the water chemistry. That's what made NN a little different last year. Rumor has it that the have figured it out (H2O Chem), and NN should be back to its normal self.

Ganglani likes this.
  27. Yankee in Attleboro had what I would guess to be about 16 cases out on the floor when I was there today. Grabbed a sixer (was really tempted to spring for the case @ $50).

28. Both Redstone in Stoneham ($43 a case and there is no limit) and New England Wine & Spirits in Newburyport (1 six-pack per) just got some in today.

Ganglani likes this.
  29. i picked up a 6pk today and noticed the lack of bottle date. i've had many troegs beers, always with dates. anyone else notice this with MA batch we received?

30. My 6-pack (from MA) had a bottled on date of 1/14/13. The date was faint and kind of wearing off though.

31. jomobono

Julio's has this much
    [​IMG]

warchez, jdauria, Trevdawg and 2 others like this.
  32. That's a LOT of Nectar!

33. jomobono

And Wegman's will get it Wednesday for $2 cheaper a six pack.

Jake351 likes this.
  34. Holy crap thats a lot of NN. Still tons of FBS as well I see.

Stockfan42 likes this.
  35. jomobono

And the FBS is $9.99

36. Speaking of which, what are 6ers of NN going for thus year?

37. I got mine for $11.19.

38. I ended up with a case. At 5:45pm there were still about six cases out on the floor.

39. jomobono

$13 at Julio's.