1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Nut Brown Ale: How many contain nuts?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by vortmaxx, Nov 9, 2013.

1. vortmaxx

vortmaxx Disciple (55) Indiana Apr 20, 2010

How many nut brown ales actually contain or are brewed with any kind of nut or is it more a reference to color? Thanks!
  2. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

It comes from an old English song. Nothing to do with actual nuts:

The nut-brown ale, the nut-brown ale,
    Puts downe all drinke when it is stale,
    The toast, the nut-meg, and the ginger,
    Will make a sighing man a singer.
    Ale giues a buffet in the head,
    But ginger vnder proppes the brayne;
    When ale would strike a strong man dead,
    Then nut-megge tempers it againe,
    The nut-brown ale, the nut-brown ale,
    Puts downe all drinke when it is stale.
  3. Color.

Edit: And, I'm not sure that "song" came out before the expression. That sounds like more of a wives tale.
  4. Does anyone know of any beer that is brewed using any kind of nut?
    barleywinefiend likes this.
  5. In the US, to get the Federal TTB label approval, a beer that contained nuts would be considered a "MALT BEVERAGE SPECIALTY - FLAVORED" since it falls under the TTBs rule that "...any class and/or type of malt beverage that contains or is treated with (other than those recognized in standard brewing practices) flavoring and/or coloring materials and/or nonstandard blending or treating materials or processes..." .

As such, the label would have to note the use of nuts, usually with a phrase like "Brown ale brewed with hazlenuts" or "Ale with natural flavors added".

There are a number of beers flavored with hazelnuts, walnuts, pecans and chestnuts (among others), the occasional "peanut butter" beer, etc.

I checked the TTB COLA page and can't find a good example of a beer specifically labeled "Nut Brown Ale" that DOES contain nuts, though. Closest is usually something like Rogue's "HAZELNUT BROWN NECTAR" which is labeled "Ale with natural hazelnut flavor".

Given the thousands of breweries in the US now, and the new fascination with "flavored" beers, that's not to say a Nut Brown Ale with nuts as an ingredient doesn't exist, but it should be so labeled according to the TTB regulations.
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
    Roguer, WagonCircler, JG-90 and 7 others like this.
  6. I had some Hazelnut Brownie recently brewed by Bateman's of Wainfleet, it was a very nice drink but IMO it wasn't beer! Would be a lovely way to finish off a meal but not to sink by the pint.
  7. BeerMeInStl

BeerMeInStl Savant (465) Missouri Jan 26, 2013

A St Louis brewery, Urban Chestnut, makes a beer called Winged Nut which is brewed with chestnuts.
    BedetheVenerable, dennis3951 and Higy like this.
  8. I live/work in Morgantown, WV and we have a uber small craft brewery here that brews a Nut Brown Ale. Right on the keg it says 'Brewed with real Walnuts'. For what its worth :)
    ChipMurray likes this.
  9. 82300sd

82300sd Aficionado (155) California Dec 24, 2012

are you allergic to nuts?
    azorie likes this.
  10. patto1ro

You do realise that modern Brown Ale only dates from around 1900, don't you? That song is several hundred years older.
  11. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Champion (890) New York Aug 25, 2010

W00tstout was brewed with pecans.
    [​IMG]
    Roguer, fullmetal1381 and dennis3951 like this.
  12. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (620) Florida Jul 15, 2011

Imperial Biscotti Break has almonds.
    fullmetal1381 and dennis3951 like this.
  13. vnz

vnz Aspirant (25) Zimbabwe Nov 9, 2013

[​IMG] Southern Pecan
    Southern Pecan Nut Brown Ale is the first beer in the world, to our knowledge, made with whole roasted pecans. The pecans are used just like grain and provide a nutty characteristic and a delightful depth to the flavor profile. This beer is very lightly hopped to allow the malty, caramel, and nutty flavors shine through. The color is dark mahogany. Southern Pecan won a Bronze Medal in the 2006 World Beer Cup in the Specialty Beer category.
  14. tr9871

tr9871 Savant (260) Mississippi Apr 14, 2013

Lazy Magnolia's Southern Pecan is brewed with pecans, but I can't say they add much, if any, pecan flavor.
    c64person, dennis3951 and sajaffe1 like this.
  15. WTKeene

WTKeene Advocate (520) Texas Jul 13, 2013

The 512 Pecan Porter is brewed with Pecans, and is absolutely fantastic. Lots of nutty, roasty flavor.
  16. sajaffe1

sajaffe1 Savant (325) Pennsylvania Feb 16, 2013

Lazy Magnolia makes a pecan brown ale, but there is not a whole lot of nuttiness. Abita makes ne as well, but I have no personal experience with one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  17. Still doesn't mean that people weren't calling them "nut browns" before it became a style indication. I'm sure penman/bard didn't randomly decide to compare brown beer to nuts as the entire premise to the song without any cultural relevance. Could have, put probably not.
  18. Quote the Mosher:

The beginnings of brown ale are lost in the mists of time. People have been brewing brown beers since the earliest days, but we pick up the story in about 1700,... The terms brown or nut brown had been loosely applied to beer for centuries, but it appears that the word didn't become anything like a style description or a trade term until the end of the 19th century.

Edit: Page 159 of Tasting Beer (2009 ed.)
    pixieskid likes this.
  19. vortmaxx

vortmaxx Disciple (55) Indiana Apr 20, 2010

yes, I am - I should have made that clear but I was in a hurry - First off, thanks EVERYONE for all of the replies. I'm having dinner tonight at the Flossmoor Brewery in suburban Chicago tonight and want to try the Pullman Brown Ale. The label says "Nut Brown Ale" and with my allergy better be safe than sorry. I of course will check with the restaurant manager .........thanks again for all of the informative replies! cheers all !!

[​IMG]
  20. Best date I could find for that poem is 1812, but that is for a compilation that includes it.

The British Bibliographer, Volume 2

Edit: Wait, found it in the subscript. 1610. Close; could go either way.
    Roguer and pixieskid like this.
  21. Nut brown ales refer to colour and a slight nutty taste. No nuts are used.
  22. Premo88

Premo88 Savant (490) Texas Jun 6, 2010

yes it is, and it's awesome ... like a bottle of dark-roasted pecans

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale is so sweet, buttery and nutty, but the ingredients are just water, barley, yeast and hops.
    kerry4porters likes this.
  23. was
    was gonna say this one - one of the only ones i've had made with actual nuts (i think)
  24. Thanks, I can get Abita in NJ I'll have to look for it.
  25. rgordon

rgordon Savant (370) North Carolina Apr 26, 2012

Never forget the legendary Mountain Oyster Nut Browns. Great with pork.
    Roguer likes this.
  26. I feel you. My better half has the same issue and when we go out we are always on the lookout for nuts. People try to sneak them in foods and drinks in the most unusual ways. Been to the ER once, don't want to do that again. It's a good question to ask. Always.
  27. How about Pistachios? Any beer brewed with them?
  28. patto1ro

Brown Ale didn't exist at all between about 1780 and 1900. The first beer called Nut Brown didn't appear until the 1920's.
    Geuzedad likes this.
  29. patto1ro

Look, you find me a beer called Nut Brown that was brewed before 1910. I've never found one, and I've looked at literally thousands of beers.
  30. You're not understanding this properly: Even though the name "nut brown" didn't become a recognized style until the 1900s or so, people used the term colloquially WAY before that!
  31. patto1ro

You have any evidence for that? I thought not.

It's not that it wan't a reconised style, Bown Ale didn't exist at all.
    Geuzedad and azorie like this.
  32. Do a little research before you make such broad statements! Brown beers have existed for almost as long as beer has, they just haven't always been called "brown ale". And, I gave you the evidence earlier, in the passage from Mosher's Tasting Beer, you just chose to ignore it.
    RobertColianni likes this.
  33. patto1ro

Mmm . . . I should do some research?

Brown Beer is something completely different from Brown Ale. Here's a challenge for you, name a 19th century British beer that was brown in colour other than Porter and Stout.

I mean contemporary evidence, not something written in 2009.
  34. You are asking the wrong guy to do a little research. Ron has probably done as much research on beer as anyone on the planet; to the extent that he is consulted by prestigious brewers wishing to recreate past brews.Ron's statements are the result of decades of painstaking research from contemporary sources and records.
    Bouleboubier, azorie and StuartCarter like this.
  35. Ron Pattinson has the title of "beer historian" when referred to in publications, such as Mitch Steele's IPA. He has set the record straight on many beer myths.
  36. Worth noting the difference between a brown ale and a Brown Ale. One is simply a description, one is a style or name.
  37. So, he's abusing language to make himself correct. Said poem/song says "nut-brown ale". As in, "nut-brown" is a descriptor, not a style designation. Just because the song used the term "nut-brown ale" before "Nut-Brown Ale" was a style designation does not mean that "nut-brown ale" was not in use before the song. Does this make sense?
    RobertColianni and BeerKangaroo like this.
  38. brikelly

brikelly Savant (405) New Hampshire Apr 11, 2010

Hill Farmstead Elaborative #1 was brewed with walnuts. So there's that.
  39. Prove it...with contemporary sources and records.
    BPGEFL, Jspriest, StubFaceJoe and 2 others like this.