1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

NY BAer headed to Winchester, VA area

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by ThePorterSorter, Jan 31, 2013.

1. My plan is to head down to the Shenandoah valley region mid feb and I'm looking for on-the-way(ish) stops, any upcoming special releases, breweries with limited distro that's available in your (the) area, and the best bars/pubs/gastropubs/bottle shops I should stop at!

Thanks for your help and let me know if anybody is interested in an IP while I'm down there

cheers
  2. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (950) North Carolina Dec 8, 2007 Staff Member

Depends on which way you are traveling to the Winchester, VA area... Have you also posted in the Mid-Altantic forum (if you are driving down you will spend the majority of your time in Mid-Atlantic states NY-NJ-PA-MD)?

I posted a similar thread back around Thanksgiving time but the only recommendations I got in VA were for at least an hour south of Winchester (Blue Mountain Brewery in Afton, VA which is pretty close to Charlottesville, VA).

When I posted in the Mid-Atlantic forum I got a couple of recommendations for PA (Al's of Hampden and Selin's Grove Brewing Company) - these are assuming that you are driving and taking I-78/I-81 or I-80.

3. Yes I'll definitely have to stop @ selin's and thanks for the heads up...really I wanted one good bottle shop to stop at, but I suppose I could do some more research and figure it out
  4. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (950) North Carolina Dec 8, 2007 Staff Member

In PA, Al's of Hampden is a decent place to grab lunch with their own beers and some decent taps as well as a pretty decent set of bottles (kind of like a bottle shop).