1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

NY Brewery Only Releases... Dropping by the minute?

Discussion in 'US - Mid-Atlantic' started by SpeedwayJim, Jan 10, 2013.

1. SpeedwayJim

SpeedwayJim Advocate (700) New York Jun 19, 2009

Has anyone else noticed that with Captain Lawrence only doing silent releases now, Phil leaving SH and the subsequent cancelling of this year's IRS release party, and Jeff leaving Ithaca and the resulting demise of Brute/LeBleu, NY has almost no more brewery only bottle release parties?

I remember 2 or 3 years ago when I could look forward to at least 4-5 releases a year... now, nothing at all. :( I haven't seen the same faces I used to see at the Mid-Atlantic releases in over a year now!

Is this disappointing to you guys? Or do y'all not care at all?
  2. Me'all doesn't care at all.
  3. Franch

Franch Advocate (540) New York Mar 22, 2011

that's sad. i never went to one of the CL releases that i heard so much about. let's just do bottle shares at spuyten duyvil instead. :(
  4. It does suck. Still waiting for a Western NY brewery to brew an incredible beer and have a special release for it that beer enthusiasts all over the country wish they could be at. And I'm waiting and waiting and waiting...
    Naterobsnyk4 and sliverX like this.
  5. Fujii13

Fujii13 Aficionado (240) New York Apr 27, 2011

I've been bitching about this for a while. Check out the rant at the bottom of my post here. Basically what it boils down to is that the only breweries we have in the state that are big enough to pull something like this off, only release beer on a national scale. I drive the 4 hours to Hill Farmstead once ever other month or so just because we don't have anything like this here. CL doesn't post when bottles are going to come out, so I can't take a day off in advanced like I do for HF or Lawson's.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record here: Ommegang, do something fucking cool, small batch, bottle it (unlike your latest Barrier Relief beer which was impossible to get a hold of unless you were in NYC) release it at your brewery only, and give me something to actually be hyped up about your beer again for once.
    shueyy and cavedave like this.
  6. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

Definitely a bit of a bummer, especially the SH cancellation. I like the silent releases for CL because the last couple at the old brewery turned into a complete shitfest, but it's been impossible for me to get there in time for the last couple (BS Gold and Sour Cherry) since I moved to Philly.
  7. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Savant (445) New York Jun 7, 2005

I'm pretty happy about it. No longer have to deal with all of the shitheads who act like total assbats pre/during/post release (i.e. idiots who think it's funny/a good idea to steal pipe fittings from a nearby business, weirdos who drink beyond their capacity at the bottle share tables and then begin to wander into traffic after pissing themselves, whiny complainers who missed out on bottles because they weren't prepared enough to do the necessary legwork, etc.)
  8. LIBeer

LIBeer Aficionado (115) New York Sep 17, 2009

The only release that I am mildly disappointed about is the Southampton release which took place each year on the last Saturday of January. The Southampton release party was always a very well run event and was always enjoyable to go to.
  9. RandomBattle

RandomBattle Savant (265) New York Jun 25, 2010

I miss all the aforementioned releases. Even though some were handled way better then others, I still miss the chaotic ones as well. The biggest letdown for me is SH. Even though it doesn't get a lot of love on BA, their IRS is one of my top beers of all time. I'll probably head out there when it goes on tap for the sake of nostalgia.

On the flip side however, we should be happy in terms of NYS' regular distribution. Seriously. Nothing to gawk at. For me and fellow Long Islanders whenever I make a trek to Diciccos I feel like I'm at a release when I walk into their beer section, its enormous.I buy a couple of things here and there, but I mostly just stare.
    TheBigEast likes this.
  10. DSlim71

DSlim71 Savant (495) New Jersey Mar 3, 2010

I was only really at one release for the last batch of Castleton. I know there were a lot of complaints, but I had a great time and was really looking forward to more of that, especially since I was just getting into searching out different beers. That was also my first bottle share and I loved the being in the community and seeing the generosity of some people. After that, I haven't been to any releases other than one at Weyerbacher, which I don't really count since they distributed the beer anyway, it was just an excuse to buy beer and drink in the parking lot.. Southampton and Ithaca just felt too far and didn't work out. Luckily, I've been able to meet a lot of great people over the last year and have had pretty awesome bottle shares, but I definitely want more releases to go to.

Also, how am I supposed to land all the latest brewery only releases from around the country if I don't have any brewery releases of my own to go to? I feel like every other week there's a new Midwest or Cali or Vermont release and we live next to the biggest city in the US and get nothing. Is it too much to ask for a few more release parties?
  11. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

I do miss them.
  12. Sneers

Sneers Savant (385) New Jersey Dec 27, 2009

I get that people like the camaraderie of big releases at breweries, but I've also noted that a lot of breweries have some interesting things available for people who drop by when there isn't a big event. Breweries have smaller projects going on all the time. Personally, I'm a fan of silent releases. I kind of like the way they reward people who aren't just around to score the next big thing and how they feel sort of modest.

I find myself a little curious. What's so special about a beer being released at the brewery vs. retail if the beer is the same, as in the above Weyerbacher release?
  13. Everyone join me in bombarding Southern Tier on twitter. They need to bottle a brewery only barrel age beer. BA Backburner proves that they know what theyre doing. Join the movement.

Anyways - looking forward to what peekskill can do in the future.
  14. merc7186

merc7186 Savant (345) New York Dec 5, 2010

I did when they released the information for ST Schizophrenia, until they eventually shot back that it was only a trial barrel and would not be released. :(
  15. was that the chokolat + cherry? if so, looked/sounded awesome. wish this would happen...
  16. merc7186

merc7186 Savant (345) New York Dec 5, 2010

That's correct. It is amazing how they are so blind to using an actual barrel on some of their beers instead of staving the damn things. That is a true sign of quantity over quality.
  17. SpeedwayJim

SpeedwayJim Advocate (700) New York Jun 19, 2009

To answer your question, for the most part nothing. However, the brewery releases were always an excuse for a bunch of people to get together 2-3 times a year and have a huge bottle share in the wee hours of the morning while freezing our collective asses off (lot more fun than it sounds).
    cosmicevan and DSlim71 like this.
  18. cryme

cryme Aficionado (170) Delaware Jun 29, 2011

The Cuvee series proves otherwise.
    brystmar and Fujii13 like this.
  19. They have a new 4-head filler for corked and caged beers that will be used for brewery only releases (according to Jeff). Maybe they'll do some release parties.
  20. The oak aged strong ales? Not barrel aged, right?
    merc7186 likes this.
  21. cryme

cryme Aficionado (170) Delaware Jun 29, 2011

I suppose so, but just about all of their offerings lack any balance whatsoever
  22. Not sure how your comments are relevant.
    To me, they are one for one in barrel age beers and need to make more.