1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

NYC Beer Crawl...whatcha got?

Discussion in 'US - Mid-Atlantic' started by maleman, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Gonna be in the city for a few days in a couple of weeks. Want to spend at least one afternoon cruising some good beer bars. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! RB!
  2. jtg5678

jtg5678 Savant (260) Illinois Nov 27, 2012

Spuyten Duyvil.
  3. BKBassist

BKBassist Savant (470) New York Jan 24, 2013

Downtown\LES\Chinatown -

Top Hops - Orchard and Delancey - Probably my favorite in the city. Great selection of bottles and 20 or so taps, amazingly knowledgable staff, great atmosphere.

One Mile House - Delancey and Bowery - A bit more hipster, really solid and unique tap selection, awesome bar food.

DBGB - Houston and Bowery - Upscale and pricey, but worth it if you want a sit down restaurant type environment, can have occasional surprises on tap.

Marshall stack - Hipstery, but fun atmosphere and decent taps. Basically these previous 4 are in walking distance of each other.

Blind Tiger - Greenwich ave - old school craft house, can get crowded, but has a great list and friendly staff, does good events.

Uptown\Midtown I try to avoid, but the Pony Bar on 10th ave is excellent, as is Rattle and hum on 33rd and 5th.

Also, I'd recommend hitting up Singlecut Brewery taproom in Queens (about a 25 minute train ride from midtown).

And some of the best spots are in Brooklyn. Bierkraft is a great taproom\bottle shop with AMAZING sandwiches and a nice garden area. Bruekelen Bier Merchants in Williamsburg is a fun growler bar\bottle shop with fun events like quiz nights.

Spuyten Duyvil has an amazing selection and is a few blocks away.

Brooklyn Brewery also has a great taproom and tours.

Alewife in Long Island City Queens has a great selection and great food.

I've heard good things about the Strand in Astoria, and also Queens Kickshaw and Astoria Bier and Cheese.

Have fun my friend!
    jbuddle, mkurylko and dbrauneis like this.
  4. sobeleg

sobeleg Savant (470) New York Jun 29, 2011

Pretty comprehensive selection right there. Other stops I'd recommend:

Gingerman in Midtown

Pony Bar has a second, larger, and less crowded location at 75th and 1st Ave (UES)

If youre in Brooklyn, Barcade is right by Spuytin Duyvil. Also, Downtown Bar and Grill has a pretty extensive bottle list.

Finally, if you are looking to eat at a bar, One Mile House, mentioned in the previous post, has awesome food.
  5. BKBassist

I forgot there's a newer place in the East Village called Proletariat, it's tiny and has a limited selection, but frequently has things on tap I've never seen anywhere else in the city. Another similar place (small, odd selection) is Beer Table in Park Slope.

6. Excellent response! Thanks, dude! I'm gonna try as many of these as i can!
  7. BKBassist

Also check Chris O'leary's blog, updated daily, with Beer Events around the city. A true must have, even for a local!

http://brewyorknewyork.com
    gregkoko likes this.