1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

NYC to Mystic - Suggestions

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by Naterobsnyk4, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Naterobsnyk4

Naterobsnyk4 Savant (340) New York Jan 25, 2012

So i'll be traveling this weekend from NYC to Mystic, won't be in a rush to get there on the way or on the way back.

Probably will stop in New Haven for NEB as well.

Willing to travel a little bit off of the route but not stray too far.

Looking for bottle shops and or stores with great beer selection.

Anything I can't get in NYC mostly.

2. New England Beverage Company in Orange right on the Post Road off I-95, is where I stop when I go back home along that route...Great selection of singles and very helpful staff.

3. EDNOSE

EDNOSE Aficionado (245) Connecticut Oct 27, 2007

Two Roads is new and right off 95 (Stratford)
    Same for Half Full (Stamford)

Weather permitting, both have hours on Saturday. (and they are breweries, if that wasn't clear)

NEBCO itself is more than a little off of the I-95 corridor just as a heads up. Not so far that I wouldn't go (again depending on weather), just pointing out that it's really off of Merritt (15) which is not the most direct way to Mystic from NYC.

4. You should stop by (or grab some from local shops) Idle Hands if your in the area. Don't know if you get any out in NY but they make some good stuff.

5. Naterobsnyk4

Naterobsnyk4 Savant (340) New York Jan 25, 2012

Emergency pushed for me to leave tonight instead of tmrw when I would've had time to stop along the way, I'll have to hit places on the way back on Sunday, what's the deal with the connecticut beer laws on sundays?

Anything worth seeing in the mystic area at all?

6. stearns16

stearns16 Savant (275) Connecticut Jan 11, 2010

Malted barley in westerly rhode island

naloxone likes this.
  7. PicoPapa

PicoPapa Savant (435) Connecticut Mar 6, 2009

When in Mystic check out the Beer'd Brewing Co in Stonington, its not too far. They should have their new Double IPA on tap, amongst other things. Growler fills are from 1-5 on Sundays.

8. EDNOSE

EDNOSE Aficionado (245) Connecticut Oct 27, 2007

CT beers laws are 10-5 on Sunday but not all shops are necessarily open in that whole window. Most good ones are open the full window though. Two Roads is normally open Sundays. NEBCO is not. Half Full is not either.

9. In Mystic, definitely stop at Daniel Packer Inne on Water St. Small tap list (they usually have Cottrell and Blue Point mostly) but the food in the pub is amazing. I mean..Amazing.

Then check out Malted Barley mentioned below!

Thank you! I'd heard a place finally opened up out east with a good tap line up and number of taps but I could not remember the name.