1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

NYT Well: "Young Drinkers Prefer Beer" (and Bud Light is the favorite)

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Todd, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Black Label and PBR were the main ones we drank back then, unless family came down from New York and brought Genny with them. You were cool if you could get Coors, since having it meant you got it smuggled to you, a la Smokey and the Bandit.

19etz55 and SometimesIfart like this.
  2. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

Ahh college. Walk in with $5, walk out with two 40's of Steel Reserve, get drunk. Rinse, repeat,

Asics likes this.
  3. Kerrie

Kerrie Savant (485) Michigan Aug 24, 2012

I didn't like beer at all until I had craft beer (I was 23 at the time). When I was underage, I went for vodka and Southern Comfort instead. Much more bang for the buck if you're just trying to get drunk.

4. Jacurdy60

Jacurdy60 Savant (355) Alabama Jan 23, 2013

Because, in my opinion, it isn't. It's a sessionable dry stout but it lacks flavor.

5. Hey I am not ashamed to admit that from 16-20 my favorite beer was Old Style Light! Then I discovered German Pilsners (mostly 24 packs of Bitburger because they were only $18)... That carried me through to about 22 and well my wallet has been sad for the last 5 years or so:)

6. I don't know if the intent is to make excuses so much as identify/discuss the reason. Sure, it's not rocket science that the youngest beer drinkers choice of beers is going to be based on things like cost, ease of access and marketing rather than taste.

To me, the interesting question would be: how much of the legal beer-drinkers' affinity for the adjunct lagers you mentioned is influenced by the fact that it's what they started out drinking? Or is it purely a matter of preferring beers that taste more like carbonated water than anything else?

Kyrojack likes this.
  7. airforbes1

airforbes1 Savant (250) New York Oct 27, 2010

I'm another one who drank very little beer until I tried the good stuff. Adjunct lagers are ridiculed on this site for having little to no taste, but I thought it "tasted" wretched (perhaps it was the fizzy "mouthfeel" {ha} that I despised). Guinness Draught, Blue Moon, and Samuel Adams Boston Lager were my gateways to craft, and since then I have never looked back!

8. CircusBoy

CircusBoy Savant (320) Ohio Mar 10, 2008

Yes, but underage and of age people are generally drinking for different reasons (for the most part). High school kids are simply drinking to get drunk/party. A lot of adults are either in social settings (not a house party when the parents are gone), a bar/restaurant, or relaxing on the couch. Adults also have a better say in what they drink in that they can "legally" walk in and purchase it themselves. I " legally because there was a store that would sell to my friends and I in high school.

Haydn-Juby likes this.
  9. cjoc83

cjoc83 Savant (470) Pennsylvania Jul 31, 2010

I don't know about the rest of you, but this is fantastic news to me. More craft for the rest of us. As Margarette Thatcher once said.."Let them eat cake...at 4 in the morning, drunk on Bud Light Lime". Something like that anyway.

Kyrojack likes this.
  10. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (605) California Oct 17, 2010

this isnt strange at all.

if i had to shoulder tap to get beer i would try to make my money go as far as it can. unfortunately for craft beer it doesnt go as far...

11. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Young people like cheap beer? NOOOOOO. :rolleyes:

Cvescalante likes this.
  12. I wonder how Bud and Coors feels about this. This publicity is so horrible it's amusing. Im sure statistics would say most DUIs and accidents from underage drinkers were done after they bathe their liver with the king of beers. CEOs probably sleep well on all the money they make from it.

13. vader06

vader06 Aficionado (215) Michigan Jan 13, 2011

The young people will after time.

14. I am not surprised, advertisement works. Most of that age group listens to the highly advertised music, which is in the most part is terrible. Why wouldnt they drink the advertised beer? I do not believe its a time in life that the majority of people in that age group look beyond whats being presented. There is not a real draw to exploring choices, because honestly what have they mostly done in life up until this point... do what they are told. I think it says more about society than the kids/young adults who still have most of their innocence.

15. Im 22. Never had a sip until I was 21 because I respect the laws of the US government. First beer was a Guinness. 2nd was a Chimay Blue. Haven't looked back.

16. GFG

GFG Savant (295) North Dakota Oct 24, 2012

I'm still young (22) and I was drinking at 16 quite regularly, at least on the weekends (nothing else to do in North Dakota). At that age it's almost ALL Bud, Miller and Coors because it's cheap and that's basically all that they know since those are the companies they always see on TV and other advertising. Most of them probably can't even name more than 3 craft beers, if they can even name 3.

Another problem is at that age most of them think all beers taste the same. By that I mean, they all think they're light like bud light, miller lite, coors light. Heavier like Budweiser and Coors. Or dark like Guinness.

I RARELY drink beers like that now. Only one I buy is Coors Light and it's only for drinking games like beer darts.

17. agreed 110% also i'm sure this is more of a numbers game than anything. by their research it probably came up as oh look budweiser sold the most beer last year, must be everyone's favorite including underage broke college kids ! makes $ense :D

18. VDODSON

VDODSON Savant (310) North Dakota Feb 5, 2013

Cornball, guess you never jaywalked either.

19. VDODSON

I was drinking beast light, and Icehouse as a young teen. Makes sense though, have you ever seen a teen drinking 18 year old scotch or smoking fine cigars? Its all about availability, and price. Why would a young person strapped on cash pay $17.00 for a six pack of Hopslam, when he can get five cases of Busch Light for the same price?

Flight0011 likes this.
  20. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (960) North Carolina Dec 8, 2007 Staff Member

I'm guessing the reason for the popularity of those brands are partially name recognition (they have the greatest reach as well across the different locales - other cheaper options probably were more isolated by region and thus were not as dominant) and partially the fact that they do not have strong flavors/aromas.

21. teal

teal Aficionado (195) Wisconsin May 3, 2012

The most plentiful beer is macro lager. When you're underage and looking to steal some beers from someone's fridge - what's MOST likely to be there? Macro-lager. Really not rocket surgery here.

22. lester619

lester619 Savant (375) Wisconsin Apr 17, 2009

Someone got paid to do research to figure out that 20 year olds like cheap beer? I wish I had that job. I also wish I was 20 doing a keg stand on top a a Natty light half barrel again.

23. I wish I could have afforded bud light in college. More like Southpaw and PBR. We did enjoy craft when money was ok though, mainly Sweet Georgia Brown and Newcastle.. Entry level but not bad for 18 yo's. We were of a different kind ;)

24. because they are a 'beer advocate' maybe? Don't understand all the bragging about downing cases of garbage on this thread. Isn't there a swilladvocate.com for that?

25. VDODSON

What are you talking about? Its a simple correlation between whats cheap and available, than what is usualy reserved for someone of means and a refined taste. What teens do you know drinking Hopslam???

Cvescalante likes this.
  26. LMT

LMT Savant (340) Virginia Oct 15, 2009

My college bar used to sell $0.25 Genny Cream pints for a few hours each evening on Mondays - Thursdays. To this day, still one of the cheapest beer purchases I can recall.

It seems that drinking cheap AALs is still a rite of passeage.

27. Has anyone mentioned acquired taste? Really, no one here is going to admit that they had to acquire a taste over time for good beer. Your first bar was a beer bar? I really don't think its possible to start off knowing what to drink, unless you drink what someone else says is good, but there is no taste in that anyways. Taste is hard earned, through trial and error.

eaterfan, Flight0011 and Kerrie like this.
  28. beerme411

beerme411 Savant (360) California Sep 28, 2010

Well I have a solution to the problem. I say all of the people from BA and RB go to your local college liquor stores and stand outside Thursday through Saturday night and wait for the kids to come begging for someone to buy them beer and popov. Just walk up and say. “Hey kiddos let me go buy that for you.” They reply, “Thanks mister BA!” Then you go inside and come out with 1 bottle and some glass-ware. Tell them they need to age it for a year with proper cellaring before they can have a tasting with the proper glass-ware. Crisis averted! (well you do just encourage underage drinking, but it was for a good cause :)

29. Icarus

Icarus Savant (260) Minnesota Oct 6, 2012

We would buy a case of Schmidt or a 30 pack of Stroh's for $10 back in the day, money was definitely the issue at the time.

30. teal

teal Aficionado (195) Wisconsin May 3, 2012

I didn't - I never cared for micro-lager the 2x I tried it. Didn't drink much beer at all until I found out you could home brew. Then I realized that there were breweries making beer just like I was and went right to that. So I went from home brew to craft to micro lagers. Which is backwards.

I had to develop a taste for macro-lager - I jumped right into flavorful beer from day one and never looked back.

I don't believe in "beginner" beers, or things of that nature. There are 2 beers. Those that taste good and those that don't.

31. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (545) New York Jun 11, 2007

Credit card debt. "Afford" the shit you don't need now, and desperately scrape together the pennies you'll need for medical bills later in life - if you make it there. The American way!

In regard to the actual headline, this shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. I didn't drink in college (getting drunk just didn't appeal to me), and I do know a few people who enjoyed craft beer. But I don't think it's really out of line to make the generalization that more college drinking occurs to get drunk than to enjoy the actual beverage. So is it surprising that inexpensive and readily available beers are at the top of the pop charts?

32. Crusader

Crusader Savant (345) Sweden Feb 4, 2011

I find it somewhat surprising that light beer would top "regular" beer in popularity among underage drinkers. I would have thought they would have went for 5% Budweiser instead of 4.2% Bud light, but perhaps this difference isn't too well known among those drinkers. Or they just find Bud light to be the young person's drink and Budweiser is for old people.

33. mellowmark

mellowmark Savant (465) Minnesota Mar 31, 2010

ISO: $3.40 case of Busch Light

34. VDODSON

I was being facetious due to the extremely low price of adjunct beers compared to craft.

35. mellowmark

mellowmark Savant (465) Minnesota Mar 31, 2010

ISO: My sense for sarcasm.

36. weonfire

weonfire Savant (360) Illinois Sep 4, 2012

When i was in high school we were gettin crunk on 16oz Steele Reserve cans at $2.59 a four pack. Highlife, MGD and PBR were saved for my 'special' occasions. I had a part time job makin $9/hour. Ain't no way i was spending all my money on $15 4-packs or $10 bombers.
    For these kids...... Budweiser is the easiest to get. Its marketed and cheap as shit. no kid wants to look foolish asking for some beer nobody has ever heard of or their buddies don't like.
    To this day.....some of my highschool bodies STILL recall when I was a sophomore (13 years ago) and decided to be different and got a 12-er of Grolsch (with the swing lids). It was awful... at least back then it was. Probably will never live that down.

sukwonee likes this.
  37. They see the Bud ads on tv before craft beer ever comes to their mind.

38. I was 19 when I tried a Blue Moon. That was my A-HA moment. Something was different, there was actually flavor. Shortly after I tried a Lagunitas Hop Stoopid and that is what really got me started. I am only 22 now but think I've got a good library for my age. My friends STILL drink all the BMC beer. On occasion I'll open something good and share it but it is usually "too bitter" or "tastes funny" but not always..And maybe if I convert 1 friend he will convert another, and repeat. Maybe in 10 years there will be younger kids trying better beers.

In response to some people - There are exceptions. I'm in college and I will bring my own beer to a party. Everyone gawks over an 8% beer because their interest is in getting drunk. Obviously I enjoy a nice buzz, but my appreciation for beer is much, much deeper than that. If I am spending money on something I am damn sure I am going to enjoy it!

On another note I could sit down in a bar when I was 19 and 20 without being asked for ID. I like to think this is because nobody expects a teenager to order a barrel aged Tripel :p

39. in college i remember a lot of cheap vodka. never really liked beer. 40 oz of colt 45 or olde e would happen once in a while.

never really opted for beer until i got into the good stuff

but yea, i remember kids consuming a lot of crappy beer.

40. Stop talking about me like that, it was Budweiser.....and Mr. Daniels.