1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

NZ Brews now that I'm stateside

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by mborden, Dec 21, 2012.

1. mborden

mborden Savant (410) New York Jan 28, 2009

My (now) wife and I spent two weeks (thanks, American vacation durations) in NZ the second half of November getting married and driving all over the country. We did the requisite wine tasting, but one part of travel that I really love is checking out the local beer scene. As much as possible I popped into pubs and beer stores to try and pick stuff up. Being on vacation I was pretty much blindly guessing, but I came across some tasty stuff. I enjoyed some mixpacks from Wanaka Beerworks, and (as a hophead) the Epic Armageddon IPA really impressed me. As someone who really enjoys a nice, peaty scotch, the Yeastie Boys Rex Attitude caught my attention as well.

At any rate, there is a "Beers of the World" store near me that I visit a couple times a year and seems to have pretty good representation of brews from across the globe. I know they have a NZ section. Now that I'm stateside, are there any recommendations for beers that I missed that I should see if they have in stock in case I get nostalgic? Thanks!
    flexabull likes this.
  2. Lukie

Lukie Savant (415) Australia Jun 16, 2007

8 Wired, Epic, Liberty City, Yeastie Boys. They are probably the best four. I would expect none of them are exported to the US.

Renaissance makes good beer, so does Tuatara. I would say there is better beer available in the US though.
  3. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (575) Australia Dec 29, 2006

8 Wired & Epic definitely make it to the US.
    flexabull likes this.
  4. I think 8 Wired make beer for US export.
  5. 8 Wired & Tuatara export to the USA as evident by their labels
  6. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

All of them make it to the us in some form or another... Also throw in moa
  7. Garage Project too.
  8. TubaManJack

TubaManJack Savant (375) Illinois Sep 21, 2008

mborden likes this.
  9. mborden

mborden Savant (410) New York Jan 28, 2009

Awesome, thanks for the responses! I'll definitely keep my eyes peeled for these suggestions. Cheers!
  10. dbol

dbol Aficionado (245) Missouri Aug 19, 2007

I can attest to seeing these at my local store in Saint Louis. I don't personally trust the freshness on hoppy NZ beers, but have had success with the cellarable varieties.