Oak-Aged TREAT Infection

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by starrdogg, Sep 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starrdogg

starrdogg Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2010 District of Columbia

Some friends and I did a big pumpkin beer tasting on Saturday night and the Oak-Aged TREAT (2012 batch) was supposed to be the crown jewel of the tasting. Unfortunately, the beer is infected. It has that green apple/vinegar thing going on, and appears that some wild yeast had gotten in there. I emailed the brewery and they confirmed the infection. Don't trade for this one!

2. stakem

stakem Grand Pooh-Bah (4,070) Feb 20, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I opened a bottle this evening and after having about half a glass, I am about to drain pour the rest. I dont get green apple/vinegar, I get more of a sour cherry tang that is quite vinous and fruity.

I found this thread after the fact by searching to see if anyone else has experienced this. Sucks... I have 2 more bottles that i was going to share with different groups of friends.

3. stakem

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Care to share the context of the email? Im curious if this is a batch-wide case (IE: they blended before bottling) or an isolated event. Reason I ask is I checked my other bottles and all 3 have different best by markings on their label.

4. starrdogg

starrdogg Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2010 District of Columbia

All they said was "Yes, we did discover that as well. So sorry that you were purchased one of these bottles." They then asked for my address to send me a t-shirt.

NoSignsOfPain likes this.
  5. raveskdr

raveskdr Initiate (0) Oct 10, 2009 Virginia

Does it say "I traded half my cellar for the white whale of pumpkin beers, it was infected, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt"?

6. MrFootstones

MrFootstones Initiate (0) Aug 8, 2008 California

^My buddy who emailed them about a bad bottle of Berserker we opened received a t-shirt that said "Freeloader" on it.

7. TheSevenDuffs

TheSevenDuffs Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2010 Canada (ON)

Bad bottle of Berserker???? :slight_frown: Which vintage?

BrewBoone and KevSal like this.
  8. yojimbo1

yojimbo1 Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2012 Kansas
    Trader

I forgot about this. I just picked up 3 bottles. Haven't tried them yet. So has anyone had any bottles of the 2012 vintage that weren't infected?

9. davey

davey Zealot (574) Aug 18, 2006 Oregon
    Trader

Son of a bitch, don't tell me 12 is bad! I'm gonna choke somebody.

10. Ungertaker

Ungertaker Initiate (0) Apr 30, 2010 Minnesota

$&!#*!!! A good trading buddy has a bottle for me that I have been drooling over for a while. I really hope it is not infected!

11. TheSevenDuffs

Looking at the reviews on BA - the first 10 reviews are all the 2012 Vintage and no one notes an infection. I wouldn't worry too much.

12. hiphopj5

hiphopj5 Initiate (0) Jan 29, 2010 Colorado

I had a 2012 Berserker a few weeks back and tasted no signs of infection. One of the most complex BA Stouts I've ever had. :slight_smile:

KevSal and smutty33 like this.
  13. yojimbo1

Trader

I had berserker too it was great. I have no indication any 2012 berserkers were bad. I'm wondering about oak aged treat.

14. immobilisme

immobilisme Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2005 Illinois

It looks like there are only 2 (maybe just 1) reviews of 2012 Oak-Aged TREAT... you may be looking at reviews of the regular version.

15. stakem

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Disregard my previous comment if you saw it. I had to search back through my trade history and my bottle was 2012 and it was bad.

I opened a second bottle last night with a different notch cut out on the best by part of the label and it was jus as bad as the first one i opened. I dont have high hopes for the last bottle.

I emailed them last week asking if its a problem across the board or if any of the different label markings were possibly good. I got no reply.

16. pimpmyporter

pimpmyporter Initiate (0) Nov 22, 2005 Ohio

I've had two bottles of OA Treat, that I picked up from the brewery in late August, and I can confirm they were infected. Not horrible, but certainly not the awesome beer I've had in previous batches. I have a third bottle still sitting in the fridge.

17. TheSevenDuffs

I was referring to Berserker, no Oak Aged TREAT. the topic kind of shifted in this thread from TREAT to Beserker. Sorry for the confusion.

immobilisme likes this.
  18. immobilisme

immobilisme Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2005 Illinois

Oops! Carry on.

19. yojimbo1

Trader

I just tried oak aged treat. It's infected too. I haven't heard anyone say they had this years that wasn't infected. Buy at your own risk.

BrewBoone likes this.
  20. danfinegan3

danfinegan3 Devotee (324) May 5, 2010 Florida
    Trader

Another infected one for me too. Was warned about possible infection from
    The trade partner in advance but thought it was worth the risk. It wasnt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.