1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Oatmeal Stout to Rival Sam Smith's

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by TheGoldsmith, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Sam Smith's is hard to beat. My next choice would be Rogue Shakespeare Stout.
  2. Goosey

Goosey Aficionado (240) Missouri Jan 18, 2012

I did like Sierra Nevada's beer camp imperial oatmeal stout this year, still got a few bottles hangin around.
  3. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (830) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Dark Horse One Oatmeal Stout.
  4. My two favorites. :)
  5. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (490) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

Sam Smith's is the Miller Lite of Oatmeal stouts.
    It's all over the place and very easy to get! :)

And it's really hard to beat!
    Cheers to Sam Smith for bringing the heat!
  6. TheGoldsmith

TheGoldsmith Zealot (80) Missouri Jan 20, 2013

I had forgotten Shakespeare, which I did enjoy. I must say I was surprised to see Schlafly on here. It was one of the first oatmeal stouts I had after Sam Smith's, and as with many of their beers I found it not bad, but very underwhelming. There are many here I would love to try and will look for.
  7. TheGoldsmith

TheGoldsmith Zealot (80) Missouri Jan 20, 2013

Any sweet or milk stout suggestions are welcome as well, though it's hard to compare across the style lines. As for the Left Hand Nitro suggestion, I have heard great things, but was again underwhelmed by the original Milk Stout of theirs. The nitro was not yet available in my area at the time. Is it considerably better?
  8. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (830) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti is really good.
  9. Stay with me on this one....

Magic Hat Heart of Darkness.

Yes. Try it
    TongoRad likes this.
  10. Keffa

Keffa Advocate (500) Ohio Jan 8, 2009

Hell yeah it is.
    bifrost17 likes this.
  11. Townhalls h2o oatmeal stout is the best I've tried. If you can land it, do it
    WYVYRN527 likes this.
  12. Velvet Merlin is an amazing oatmeal stout, as well as Anderson Valley Barney Flats. My favorite, however, is Convict Hill from Independence out of Texas.
  13. Moloko is a great milk stout when available
  14. Tut

Tut Savant (390) New York Sep 23, 2004

You do realize the British BA's don't consider any Sam Smith's beers, especially bottled, remotely close to their standards. Having been there many times, I understand why.
  15. Tut

Not only is it not an oatmeal stout, you think the nitro "milkshake" effect on stouts is actually desirable - the double whammy.
  16. GennyCreamAle

GennyCreamAle Initiate (0) New York Feb 25, 2009

If only there were some way to get the cask of ale from Britain over to the US...perhaps some magical flying machine or something
  17. Came here to post this. I heard that Southern Tier is discontinuing it, though. if you see it, be sure to scoop it up.
  18. fox227

fox227 Advocate (555) California Nov 19, 2010

This is a rather vague statement. Recommend some from their homeland, then. I just want to know what they are, even if I have to go overseas to find them.
  19. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

This
  20. denver10

denver10 Champion (865) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Personally, I think the original is better.

Odell just released a chocolate milk stout, Lugene, which is good. Ska's Steel Toe Milk Stout is really good too. I don't think either are in the same league as the Left Hand though.
  21. Aha! There's one of the 'ringwood' breweries I mentioned earlier in the thread- Jason's review even mentions butterscotch. I'm going to have to keep an eye out for it- thanks for the suggestion.
  22. deadliest

deadliest Savant (410) Texas Jun 4, 2009

Convict Hill from Independence Brewery is very good.
  23. If the mountain won't come to Mohammed then maybe Mohammed might go to the mountain ! There are flying machines for this :)
    Belvoir Brewery's Oatmeal Stout is rather nice on cask.............
  24. xanok

xanok Savant (405) Connecticut Aug 13, 2009

These are hardly oatmeal stouts.
    victory4me likes this.
  25. xanok

xanok Savant (405) Connecticut Aug 13, 2009

Ipswich is my go-to oatmeal stout.
  26. Scalzo

Scalzo Savant (375) Illinois Feb 27, 2012

27. JKIRBY

JKIRBY Aficionado (225) Wisconsin Apr 4, 2010

OP did include sweet stouts, too. Milk Stouts fall under that designation.
  28. HKUSPC40

HKUSPC40 Savant (290) Washington Aug 28, 2012

Fremont's Dark Star
  29. JKIRBY

JKIRBY Aficionado (225) Wisconsin Apr 4, 2010

Tyranena Devil Made Me Do It.
    Bell's Special Double Cream
    Breckenridge Oatmeal
    FBS
    WnB
    New Glarus Road Slush
    Dark Horse One
  30. I read that as well, along with Mokah and Jahva. Very disappointing.
  31. Ipswich Oatmeal and Wolavers Oatmeal
  32. kempshark

kempshark Aficionado (150) Florida Jul 22, 2009

Personally I didn't care for Southern Tier Oat, Heart of Darkness or the Ipswich.......I agree with the Barney Flats.....think Samuel Smith is good but a little underwhelming. I really liked Summit Oatmeal Stout, the Shakespeare and like Boris the Crusher as well. As for other milk or sweet stouts.....really like The Oak Aged Yeti in both its Chocolate and Expresso forms. I also enjoy Bell's Double Cream Stout as a nice smooth everyday drink. Rogue Chocolate Stout (of Double) is a decent drink.
  33. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (765) California Jan 31, 2005

I've been enjoying Sam Smith's Oatmeal for more than 20 years now. It's just SOOO Feckin Good! I even named my Black Lab Taddy back in those days. I love Taddy Porter too, and Taddy sounded better than Oatmeal. But I drank the oatmeal so much more often.:)
  34. e30todamax

e30todamax Savant (335) Virginia Oct 5, 2012

Velvet Merlin is the closest I've had
  35. Tut

Go to their group and ask. Even though I've been there nine times, they know much more than I do.
  36. Tut

They do get here periodically, at least on the east coast. Fullers is seen as well as others, but I've been disappointed more often than not. The trip and storage isn't good for it. You need to get it fresh over there.
  37. Or just attend this and be happy http://nerax.org/nerax/uk-beers.html
  38. GennyCreamAle

I would think if money was no object you could have a fresh cask on a plane 6am in London then you could have it tapped in NYC by happy hour.
  39. GennyCreamAle

40. It is every year at the same time, and definietly worth going to. Most of the UK stuff that comes in comes for that Festival only.