1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Obnoxious lowball offers

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by TurdFurgison, Jan 30, 2013.

1. TurdFurgison

TurdFurgison Champion (785) Ohio May 29, 2005

It is with sadness and not anger that I apply fingers to keyboard. In the past week I've received 3 unsolicited trade offers so staggering in their lack of balance that I'm left nearly speechless.

As an example, I was offered a can of Heady Topper for a Coffee BCBS. To be fair he mentioned having 2 Zombie Dusts too. Those 3 beers are much less than half the value of what I typically toss in as EXTRAs.

If this is the new normal I'm done.

2. Read every post by themind he offered supplication for T-25. Well just anything from him it is comedy gold.

3. InebriatedJoker

InebriatedJoker Champion (810) Ohio Sep 16, 2010

Turd - It's not the way it used to be , Trying to "win" trades in the new thing ..
    I'm sticking with my core group of previous traders and not venturing into those waters anymore ..
    Heady is good but come on man, one can ? ,
    that's not even $4$ ..Shits crazy !

4. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Shutup and take my Heady.

5. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

So, did you trade the BCBCS for the can of Heady?

6. TurdFurgison

Well, YES but that's not the point!

7. FUNKPhD

Just going to say, I didn't much care for either, but that is pretty shitty. It was probably a re-trade HT, too.

8. Everyone loves themind

Archemedies, Romulux, JulianB and 3 others like this.
  9. Themind would have sent you an aged Pliny as he sys it is great at six months

Archemedies and beercules101 like this.
  10. FUNKPhD

I knew that name sounded familiar. That dood BM'd one day telling me to Google something for something. I wasn't sure what he was getting at. Stand up guy.

pschul4, lucas1801 and Gosox8787 like this.
  11. i often wonder if he forgot to add a "less" to his username when he signed up.

12. jp7161

jp7161 Savant (335) California Dec 22, 2011

I had someone offer a Westy for my Partridge and he said that it was a fair trade.

13. Ok, I'll up it to 2 Westy's.

lurchingbeast and jp7161 like this.
  14. jp7161

jp7161 Savant (335) California Dec 22, 2011

Way more fair.

15. Agree to said trade and send an envelope with a small, slighty open ziploc full of baking soda with note readying "love always, Abdul" inside.

corbenlee likes this.
  16. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

Damn and I thought the guy who told me he would give me FOUR Heady's for a Blabaer was a fluke. He did tell me he was willing to add......

17. miketd

miketd Advocate (510) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

Eh, sometimes people don't really know trade values and other times people are new and ignorant; it's not always some dude trying to get one over on you. Anyway, it's pretty easy to say "no thanks" and leave it at that.

JxExM, brewbetter, cmannes and 3 others like this.
  18. aasher

aasher Champion (910) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Heady Topper is the new M. It can get you whatever you want.

biglobo8971 likes this.
  19. aasher

aasher Champion (910) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Seriously though, people need to stop trading single bottles or cans if they come in four or six packs. That is some shit.

20. I thought 3000 was the new M...god this site is so confusing.

ABisonEgo, pschul4, gpawned and 3 others like this.
  21. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Offers like that are helpful, it tells you who never to trade with and who to ignore on this site.

tut2528, cavedave, atone315 and 6 others like this.
  22. Have you had Supplication, aged 15 months in Pinot Noir barrels, yumm!

23. But his Pliny was NJ Pliny. Not regular Pliny. And his Supplication was aged in Pinot Noir barrels

huadog, dman5400 and lucas1801 like this.
  24. I'm actually considering trading with him. 6 month old Pliny doesn't sound that bad, I just hope I have "rare" enough beer too grace him with.

25. TurdFurgison

I think that this is exactly what happened. But it still pinches my taint.

The clueless are on the verge of outnumbering the clued. And once they tip the scales we'll have a hard time identifying the real evildoers.

26. Racer 5?

27. I can't even find that. :(

lucas1801 likes this.
  28. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

Sadly I think that is exactly the case already. I still refuse to give up, but I now go WEEKS without even looking at ISO:FT and I used to not go hours without doing so.

29. stxSS07

stxSS07 Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 23, 2010

This. So much this.

30. abecall98

abecall98 Advocate (540) California Aug 11, 2007

Of course it's a fair trade, you would be winning actually. Westy is rated better. #2012traderlogic

huadog likes this.
  31. heatwaves

heatwaves Savant (335) California Oct 17, 2009

Plus Westy's glass is of higher quality. And I won't even get into the huge discrepancy of bottle caps.

32. just give up on trading... you know you want to... take a bite of this sweet, sweet apple...

33. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

And report straight to prison

34. Imagine the trade value of Head(y) in prison!

35. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

I would if I didn't so often find myself reading it for the lulz. Lots of good stuff in there. I even heard the Fantome of the Opera has returned.

36. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

i think im going to start typing out the entire label for all future trade threads

"Brewed with basil, oregano, tomato and garlic. Beer so good it deserves a wine glass!"

biglobo8971, jgluck, Duff27 and 2 others like this.
  37. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

Welcome to planet earth. Not sure where you were livin before but here its money fo nuthing and chicks fo free!

38. What's sad is that he probably got something good (or something he considered good) off some other new trader for a single can and so now he thinks he's got the keys to the kingdom. Let's up the output already, Alchemist! STOP THE HEADY MADNESS.

39. SpdKilz

SpdKilz Advocate (710) Illinois Jan 8, 2009

I think I have traded with one new person over the past six months. Granted I have stopped trading quite a bit compared to a year ago. However, almost every box I do send out goes to past traders. Every time I would put up an ISO, I would get completely lopsided offers (not all the time mind you) or if I answered a FT, they would then do the ole' "well I had a few offers for what I originally asked for, will you sweeten the pot?" (that happened no less than three times when I was looking for Juicy).

I've quickly learned to let the new hyped releases go (i.e. BA Abraxus, 1515, Cherry Rye, etc.) because it is too hard trying to keep up with the flavor of the month, especially when so many new people into beer hold them for a ransom. I know I'll eventually be able to try them most likely through tastings, so I'm not too worried.

Cliff Notes: A lot of new traders suck and are trying to "win" at trading.

40. crushedvol

crushedvol Savant (265) Illinois Jan 29, 2008

I doubt it's a rash of new people trying to win trades, but more a result of a small community becoming a large community. For starters people are more willing to help and overlook faults of there neighbors (read small community) than strangers (read large community).

Also the more people you have the more unintelligent people you have. The unfortunate thing is that's it's not an issue that can be solved. whining about hit won't help (in fact would likely have the opposite affect, as people worried about bad traders are less likely to be genrerous themselves) and dumb people are completely unaware of the fact they are dumb (makes me wonder about myself)

Cliff notes:
    Can't be fixed, so instead of getting mad about it...have a beer.