1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Obnoxious lowball offers

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by TurdFurgison, Jan 30, 2013.

1. If it is a small community becoming a large community, at what point am I, and any other good noob trader, accepted into the small community? Do I need a set # of trades before some people don't immediately assume I'm trying to win trades? Or a set period of time on the site? I know there's alot of people that try winning trades, and I'm sure it's worse than before (its always worse than before, even if it really isn't), but for the noob traders that aren't trying to win, that let the hard to find beer they grab go $4$ for something they really want to try and try to hook up their box with good locals as extras, how do we get into the "small" community so we're not lumped in with the noobs that wanna win trades by all the older members
    JulianB likes this.
  2. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (350) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

That would be a nice addition to the site. The ability to block people so you cannot view their posts.

I already have a list started.
  3. That's already on the site isn't it?
    cmmcdonn likes this.
  4. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Isnt that what the "ignore" function does when you go to someones profile? Or do I not understand what that option is for? I've never used it
    cmmcdonn likes this.
  5. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (350) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

All this time.... I never knew.

CHRISTMAS COME EARLY!!!
    NiceFly and DSlim71 like this.
  6. In other news, water is wet.
  7. When more experienced traders stop with the holier than thou line some of them have been toeing and help new traders rather than vilify them.
    jsboots21 likes this.
  8. crushedvol

crushedvol Savant (265) Illinois Jan 29, 2008

exactly, but is it aware that its wet?

either way the answer is to relax and have a beer
  9. Obligatory DFW "This Is Water" mention
    Omensetter likes this.
  10. I will say that a large proportion of the people here are willing to help noobs. But there are some who seem so jaded and lump everyone with a 2012 join date together in the same negative pool
  11. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Yep.
  12. Given that most of the earth is water, I'd assume its aware it's wet. The better question is "does freshwater know its not saltwater? Or does it assume it is because that's what most water is?" Or something along those lines.
  13. agree with all of this, particularly the former. community is growing at a rapid pace and new people aren't being trained well.

the latter is the kruger-dunning effect; i think it explains a lot of society, and you see it manifest in e.g. jegross2, docjitsu, themind, and others in the way they post.

that being said, not everyone is like that. i remember in one post i mocked how even established traders (black13) will post stupid offers ad nauseum to win trades (yarrrrrrr, there be blabaer out there, matey!!) and lumped him in with new traders like abisonego, who was posting dumb stuff at the time. you know what happened? black13 cussed me out, while abisonego messaged me and apologized. he was new and didn't quite know what he was doing. it was a humbling moment, a reminder that you can snark at everyone, but not everyone is deserving of it.
  14. Agreed. The same can be said about the amount of people trying to "win" trading rather than just being inexperienced.
    jsboots21 likes this.
  15. THIS
  16. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

Hey, you gotta cover the cost of mules somehow.
  17. I have only done a couple trades, so my opinion does not hold as much weight as most of you.... but I tend to lean in the direction that a trade is not something to win. A trade is a way to try new beers and help someone else get something they typically would have trouble getting their hands on. I would rather send more than the other person and know that they were stoked when they opened the box I sent, instead of knowing they were bummed and wish they never traded with me. We aren't running a team, so getting the better side of the trade seems so stupid. I would rather someone tell all their buddies on here how easy the trade was and how they got a bunch of awesome extras... word of mouth, and the connections you create are everything in this world if you ask me.

screw those horrible traders! Viva la resistance!
  18. I see things the way you do too, and couldn't agree more with your post. But alas, I joined at the end of 2012 and you in 2013 so to some of the more experienced traders we want to win all trades and hold our beer for ransom
  19. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

All the 2012 join dates can relax. The 2011s were bashed before you and the 2013s are up next.

Thank you sir, may I have another and such.
  20. I hear ya man! I have been lucky enough to talk to some really helpful and insightful people on these forums and I have noticed that once you get a decent dialogue going they realize we aren't all the same haha. Some of us actually just want to see what all of that east coast or west coast beer is all about! Hell, If I had big time beers I would trade them, I just don't have any Westy to offer up at the moment o_O
  21. woodchopper

woodchopper Savant (345) Illinois Jul 31, 2010

well Thats almost as insulting as this one i got last night

" Any intrest in a hopslam trade for Kate The Great i could do several since you have a bomber. Thanks xxxxx "
    .......really man your kidding me! was my response.... with a few extra words the person has been on Ba since Sept 2010 and no posts or anything on their profile page

this is the new wave it seems and it makes me so sad as i have met world class ba's on this site that don't always try to win the trade..... win to me is the extras that i toss in an the say wow man really as an extra you sent me that
    ....... :) Not Winning is also not losing its time to just start trading with just regular partners..

Jamie
  22. Damnit, I am screwed then haha
  23. evilc

I'm going to need you to ship 1 year in advance. I need to have an analysis done on the beer you send to make sure you didn't refill the whale you send me with Bud Black Crown.
    JxExM and 4kbrianb like this.
  24. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

Is it sadly the new normal around here. It's all about the "what's best for ME!" attitude around here now
  25. Disagree. When I was loading a box up with extras one of my friends asked why I was sending so much beer on top of the agreed-upon deal and I replied with "Because I'm trying to win this trade!".
  26. touche good sir! I would agree with winning in that sense. In a world where taking more is considered winning, we are the trail blazers that want to give more for the greater good!
  27. Join BIF's and blow up porches. They are a great way to start a trading relationship with some established vets IMO.
  28. There are plenty of people who will trade with you now, but a reputation is simply built up over time. BIFs help a lot because they are high profile - dozens of people will see the type of box that you send.

It's actually really easy to build trade partners too. Just respond to a vets ISO without trying to nickel and dime, send a nice extra, and boom - next time you want something from his area give him a shout. Or, vice versa - if a vet responds to your ISO and meets your offer, don't nickel and dime him, send a nice extra, and there you go.

A lot of this happens organically too - you can't force it. I feel like half my trades come out of BIF/forum discussions where somebody is like "oh man I've been dying to try that" and I message them, or vice versa.
  29. agreed, I have found trading partners and leads to new regions just by participating in discussions like this, or a BIF or LIF thread... we realize we can send eachother some locals that the other person cant, and bam! success!
  30. My second trade I sent I think 14 bottles. 11 were agreed upon and I sent 3 extras. We had agreed on a 200 oz trade. I sent ~260 when you included extras. He texted me saying it was a great box and I thought I had won the trade. The fucker turns around and send over 350 oz. to me and 23 bottles. Completely killed me. It's now gonna be a friendly game of me trying to one up him on our next trade including me trading for 2 bottles that I'm sure he'd appreciate. I will win our next trade.
    TMoney2591 likes this.
  31. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (330) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

You pretty much answered your own question. A higher number of trades and a longer time on the site gets you more acceptance.

This isn't directed at you, but why is this a foreign concept? Trading is like any other community based activity. Just signing up isn't enough, you gotta pay your dues for a while. If you prove yourself to be a cool guy, you're in. If you prove yourself to be a douche or don't even care to prove yourself, why should you be accepted?
    AleWatcher and Gonzoillini like this.
  32. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

This deserves to be repeated. One of my best regular trading partners came out of a BIF. Of course, there are examples of people trying to "win" those too, but if you do them and send nice* boxes, then you'll find trading partners. We just need to make sure the BIF organizers are running enough noob BIFs.

*A "nice" BIF box is one that you would be happy to receive. Simple definition, works every time.
  33. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

I've developed a few awesome trading relationships (and friendships, really) this way as well.

Another way to prove you can send a mean box is to start some LIFs.
    libbey, slentz, AleWatcher and 3 others like this.
  34. queens1130

queens1130 Savant (320) California Nov 21, 2008

I was offered a Beat or 2 for mine. I just stared at the offer a few minutes & then laughed. Took tips from BA friends & took it off the Gots list. Problem solved
    totoropanda likes this.
  35. evilc

Beatification tastes good at least.
    Levitation likes this.
  36. queens1130

Agreed Beat is good. Only problem is it's for my vertical for when it's done (2020?) & haven't tried it yet. They'd have to pry the bottle from my cold dead hands to get it :confused:
  37. evilc

I made the mistake of buying a bottle for onsite consumption @ ToroSD last year for $65. Worst mistake I've ever made.
    jp7161 and Levitation like this.
  38. Beer Karma is my new favorite term.

But Seriously, If I obtain anything even close to a whale, it goes to a current trade partner. I don't hostage anything.

And if you cold solicit me with a trade, it better be good or I'll low ball you just to piss you off. I won't ignore you, but I will waste your time, just to put a bunch in your panties.
  39. queens1130

Yikes, well hoping for some sort of miracle when I pop it to share with everyone at the end. Thanks for the tip, cheers!
  40. Dat

Dat Savant (340) Texas Aug 5, 2007

Sorry for the lowball offer Eric. I'll up my offer to 2.5 Heady Toppers, 1/2 HF Twilight and 3/4 NEBCO Gandhi-Bot.
    huskermike12 likes this.
  41. TurdFurgison

TurdFurgison Champion (775) Ohio May 29, 2005

Nice. Rest assured I'm not trading any of the Coffee BCBS you sent me. Like I said it was an unsolicited offer.