1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Obnoxious lowball offers

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by TurdFurgison, Jan 30, 2013.

1. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

heADY tOPPPER is the best beer in the w0rld, newb. I saw it on bearadvocate. Therefore, 1 bottle of HT > 1 bottle of anything else. Accept the gracious offer.

Deltoro likes this.
  2. Don't demonize Heady, demonize the douchebags.

3. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

Happy I joined in [very very late] 2011 :D

codysjb likes this.
  4. vurt

vurt Advocate (555) Oregon Apr 11, 2004

If you have a good outlook on trading, and it sure sounds like you do, then you don't need big time beers to trade.

5. DSlim71

DSlim71 Savant (495) New Jersey Mar 3, 2010

Hmm, this sounds eerily familiar...

laymansbeerfan and cbeer88 like this.
  6. but.... If I had 2 year old Black Tuesday it would probably trade pretty well ;)

full disclosure... I do not have that haha

7. Bluecane

I want to agree with this, especially as a new trade; however, numerous vets have posted about receiving nasty responses when they try to reach out like this, and I don't think it has to be incumbent upon vets to keep doing something that results in nasty responses.

In a perfect world, I'd like to see less sarcasm/cynicism so as to encourage newbies into the culture, but let's be realistic: this is the internet.

8. You mean the Internet isn't a nice place devoid of sarcasm where I can ask questions and get straight answers?

9. And I understand that happens but then those guys don't get to do any trades. That simple. The new guys who need help outweigh those that won't take help. Stop taking it as a personal attack when some dickweed bitches at you (not you specifically obviously).

10. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (425) Texas Mar 12, 2012

Just a thought but it would be nice to be able to block future communication with a user if you did recieve an offer like the OP's (i actually went back to check if themus feature existed and i didnt see it on my iphone...damn social media all have similar interfaces). As a '12 I must admit to making an unsolicited offer or two for a Mexican Cake, et al. but I came at it knowing the chances were small that I would match up wants and gots, so I went at it like "would you even consider trading <Beer X>."

I would say every conversation I've started like this has been recieved well and while I've yet to nab a MC I've had some great unintentional conversations and gotten to know some BA's outside my region. I only mention this to say that I hope experiences like the OP's keep some of you seasoned guys from listing your Gots.

11. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

You *CAN* ignore a user's Conversations.

H0rnedFr0gs likes this.
  12. If you don't list your "Gots" you rarely get bothered.

13. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (425) Texas Mar 12, 2012

I thought I had seen that. Damn iPhone browser sucks for some sites.

14. Bluecane

Makes me think of that commercial with the hot girl going on a date with the "French model."

"Um, bonjour!"

15. Bluecane

I haven't experienced it personally, so I can't speak to "how it feels." But I don't think it's fair to expect the vets to keep at it. Even if you don't consider it a personal attack, it's still no fun to take time out of your day to help someone out yet feel like nothing good comes of it. Who would want to waste their own time, ya know?

16. It takes like 2 seconds to write send a message to someone to help out though. I mean, I get that it's not something anyone enjoys getting, but you have to put it in perspective.

Bottom line is if more and more "vets" give up on helping out new people, then it just becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy that the trading community is just a bunch of ill-informed competitors. If you don't want that to happen, then the knowledgeable and courteous need to ensure that it doesn't.

omniscientcause likes this.
  17. Bluecane

I agree with your 2nd paragraph, it's just a question of incentives and expectations.

18. All his beers are in the beers of fame, and are super hard to get on the east coast. He should be able to get all whalez he wants right? ;)

lucas1801 likes this.
  19. DSlim71

I saw a trade offer that I thought was a little off base so I offered some advice based on having traded for said beer twice in the past. This was done when replies were disabled so it was through BM. I was very nice about it and didn't blast the trader's offer, but pointed out that I think he might have to add to his offer if he wanted to land the beer. He had joined recently so I wasn't sure how much he knew about the beer, so gave him some info like it was brewery only, less than 1000 bottles, what I had traded for it, and just a few points like that. I told him there is a chance he finds the right trader, but he may have to switch up the offer because he was offering a widely distributed shelf beer. Never heard anything back.

Almost 2 weeks went by and I got a message from him pretty much telling me to F off and mind my own business. Went on to say how I'm what's wrong with the community and if we did have replies, I would have threadshit all over his post and ruined his chance to land the beer. I asked why it took so long to get the deal done and he told me he got no reasonable offers, and ended up replying to someone else's trade post. :rolleyes:

That was the last time I'll lend a helping hand.

20. So one person acts like an asshole and you give up on helping people?

JxExM, jsboots21 and DSlim71 like this.
  21. Personally I like people to tell me if I'm off. I posted a ISO:FT offering up SN BA Bigfoot and was looking for BCBVS or anything HF. I didn't know if I was off but I thought it was worth a shot due to bottle numbers produced for BA Bigfoot. If someone told me I was off by alot, I would've taken it as constructive criticism. I ended up trading it for HF. But why would I shun someone who's trying to help me?

22. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

You must be new to the internet.

23. prdstmnky

prdstmnky Savant (420) Vermont Jan 8, 2010

Its not that difficult to find out what beers trade for what beers. When I started trading (haven't dont much at all since the site change), it required no help. I didn't do a trade for at least the first 6 months I was on here. I watched the trade forum daily, paid attention to what beers were being offered and traded, made a mental note of new releases, just generally paid attention to the beer world. Its not that hard. I haven't done a mail trade in over a year, yet just looking at the boards, I virtually know what everything reasonably trades for. I know the trade value of Juicy or RareR DOS, I know what Crooked Stave stuff is exchanged for, I know the fluctuation in BT's "value", I know what beers are sought after currently and what aren't...and I'm not even an active trader! These are beers I've never even tasted, and its not like im on here hours a day - doesn't take long, a few weeks of paying attention, to see "how things work". A little research goes a long way people.

24. DSlim71

I'm glad to help out and would do so if they ask for it or post a General Trading Help question, but I don't feel like there's any reason to go out of my way to help anymore. I also learned the ropes just by checking the forums everyday and seeing what was trading for what, or what was being offered for what before I jumped into trading. I don't see any reason why new traders can't do most of the legwork themselves. Sure, when I started I didn't have a huge grasp of "trade values", but it's something that comes with time.

25. Brew33

Brew33 Advocate (655) Ohio Oct 24, 2007

I found this type of behavior really got bad in 2009 and into 2010. Seemed to level off after that. Frankly, I'm shocked at how many of the 2009/10 join dates that sent me similar requests to the OP's are not only still here but are prominent traders that complain of this very behavior now.

26. I definitely agree with that. I'm just saying lending a helping hand rather than bitching about the state of the community is more constructive.

Edit: at DSlim re: figuring out worth on your own

27. DSlim71

I've never been one to bitch about the state of the community, but there was a point where I decided my time was worth more to me than to waste it on sending a message to someone who might not want my opinion anyway.

28. I just keep the sarcasm in the public forum. I'm sincere in BM's.

29. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Well, sure, you may, but most people are just assholes who don't want someone else to tell them to stop being assholes.

luwak likes this.
  30. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

As I love your avatar I will keep the snark out of this one, but seriously I don't think vets WANT to give up but it really has become like trying to keep the Titanic from sinking with nothing but a coffee cup to bail with. I have sent many (probably far too many) private convo's to people I feel don't know something about the trade they are offering or whatever and it used to be (2011ish) at least mostly accepted as genuine and taken to heart and hell sometimes I even got a thank you. Then it got like 50/50 with the STFU ASSHOLE replies, and now it honestly is like 75/25 negative feedback towards me. I won't speak for everyone (hell in the grand scheme of things *I* am still new here technically), but the bigger issue seems to be the new folks outnumber the *vets* so how does one fix that?

woodchopper, Photekut and stxSS07 like this.
  31. all the super hilarious "vets" who post joke ISOs probably don't help people who are trying to figure out how this shit works. i know you guys are just too witty for your own good and to leave this wit unappreciated would be a sin but try to resist temptation everytime an epic funny joke ISO pops into your head.

the every release instawhale shit is obviously annoying but complaining about it during every release seems pretty pointless. i can't tell if the "vets" are really this bored/boring that this is all they can talk about or if it's just people trying to pander to said vets so they can be initiated into the good old boys club.

my entire trading career has taken place in the year 2012 and i haven't had trouble finding a square deal that both parties were happy with a single time. i also promise you that for someone like mordormongo (just picking him because hes probably the most recognizable poster on the site) would have no problem finding some noob who wants to make a good impression to give him a good deal on BA abraxas or whatever new release.

if you ignore the 3 people who ask for ann for their new release then i bet the trading forum isn't actually any worse than it was a year ago.

SubpoenaDeuces and Bluecane like this.
  32. SpdKilz

SpdKilz Advocate (710) Illinois Jan 8, 2009

Ehhhhhh....

33. YaKnowBrady

YaKnowBrady Initiate (0) New Jersey Jul 23, 2010

God, this thread could use a little SCREE SCREE....

34. Chewbacca

Chewbacca Initiate (0) Antarctica Jan 22, 2013

Someone offered me a ZJ for a bottle of Supplication, which is aged for 12 months in pinot noir bottles. Told them to gtfo. Need at least some CBS for that...

TRFD803 and JulianB like this.
  35. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

I have personally posted at least 6 times for new traders to do trades to show them the ropes of how to pack and what to send. I like it because they send first, and it gives me a chance to see their box and outdo it in return. To me giving them that attitude of sharing and community is as important as learning the way to trade, the way to judge how to value a trade fairly, and the importance of communication. I know of many BA's who have done this in past.

It is possible I was as big an asshole as many of the noobs I see now, and that there were an equivalent amount of them back in the day. It is possible, but I don't fucking think so. Can't say why this is, but IMHO it is.

Here is an example of the kind of know it all who is common here nowadays. You will notice that he is given great advice and extreme amounts of patience, much as many of us vets have done with new traders. It is like beating head on wall.

http://beeradvocate.com/community/t...super-high-abv-beer-with-mr-beer.57731/unread

36. Duunnnnn Dun Dun Dun Dun Duuuuuunnnnnnn

37. Trade once again with me our strange Duet
    Your lowball trades grow stronger yet

38. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (705) New York Dec 2, 2009

this thread is long, jokey, and i haven't read it, but i'm chiming in to say that i'd rather have a 16oz can of heady topper than a 22oz bottle of BCBCS. i'm sure someone else has said this, but who cares.

jsboots21 and domtronzero like this.
  39. If this was my box you are referring to, you are a jerk. And you did "win" this one. I only I hope I sent enough to cover it!

Also, I think people could use some time to read through previous ISO:FT's to get some ideas of what will pull what. And if they don't, they shouldn't be offended when someone offers critiques.

SpdKilz and JulianB like this.
  40. It was indeed that box, and honestly even if yours contained no extras (which I know it won't) given what I already know is in it I'd be perfectly happy with the swap! But if you want to give me a win that's good for my W/L record (sarcasm intended).

Totally agree with your second point, and I personally browsed ISO:FT for months before posting my first trade offer. All it takes is a little time and effort to get used to the "market" (I hate to use that term but it does work). I haven't received one negative comment about either an IO:FT I postsed or one I responded to.

laymansbeerfan likes this.