1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Obnoxious lowball offers

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by TurdFurgison, Jan 30, 2013.

1. By the way, has anyone figured out how to short-sell beer yet, like a stock that you predict will go down in value? ;)
  2. Whats a ZJ?
  3. SpdKilz

SpdKilz Advocate (700) Illinois Jan 8, 2009

If you you have to ask big man, you can't afford it.
  4. Can't like this enough
    SpdKilz and FishPondManager like this.
  5. vurt

vurt Savant (495) Oregon Apr 11, 2004

Zombie Just?
  6. beernads

beernads Advocate (520) Florida May 4, 2012

Zhukov Junior?
  7. jsboots21

jsboots21 Savant (280) Tennessee Jan 19, 2009

It's hard to believe people actually get butthurt about receiving lowball offers. There are lots of things to consider.

Not everyone is trying to "win" trades. Some people are new and don't fully understand the varying perceptions of rarity/value of different beers. The keyword is perceptions, as different people think a specific beer has different values based on all sorts of context. For instance, to me Heady Topper is both 1) pretty rare considering I have to rely on good fortune or obscene generosity to get it, and 2) extremely delicious and worth trading heavy for since it's so freaking good. Just because you're past the point where something is uber-valuable to you does not mean everyone else has reached the same point.

More importantly, I think the issue here lies with the members of the community who trade only for whales. They set the tone of the game of King of the Mountain by putting up rare/expensive beers and only wanting the same in return. This behavior really affects the general atmosphere of the forum by giving consistent examples of what people "should do" when trading, that is to say, try to get whales. While some people want these beers and have the trade ammo, others still want them and don't, so they offer what they have. I'd love to try Don Quijote and I may, at some time, ask someone if quantity instead of quality will land me one since I don't have the whale equivalent(s) to get one. I certainly would fault no one for trying to get something rare and potentially amazing whether they have the goods or not.

I realize that many established traders have silent trading partners, and thus don't need to post ISOs for seasonal/regional beers they can't get at home, but it's still hard to ignore what kinds of posts are out there and how likely it is that new traders will attempt to replicate them.
    wifehatesthebike and brikelly like this.
  8. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

you should send a BCBS and a mini-pouch of Foldgers, tell him you thought he meant Coffee & BCBS
  9. In August 2011 I offered up Citra for shit like Kaggen! it was so cash. Total computed BMs informing me that I was an ignorant sack of testicles, the inaccessibility of Kaggen, etc.: Zero.

I was a shithead back then, there are proto-subbydoo's now

http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/ft-citra-x6-iso-inside.65619/

However, I did reap verdant fields of snark and taintsmashing comments. Speedwayjim later oragnized a crew to beat me mercilessly with socks filled with soap bars. Now I am the same shitbag, albeit I have a Kaggen now.

Recently I BMed someone who was looking for Kaggen on a biweekly basis with the same beers, advised something to the effect of "I gave up a 2007 Cable Car for Kaggen, I wish you the best of luck, its a tough beer to land" that was not well received. If someone is super into Babylon 5, they don't want to hear the amount of sex that it is not getting them.

In the words of philosopher/economist/AARP recipient Rempo: "Your failures are our failures as a community."

There is no helping, only harming, we are chained to the crushing responsibility of a free ISO forum, with the debilitating reply ability, only Schopenhauer can know the depths of the imbalanced offers this freedom can create.

time to get my Pahn on:

Tl;DR Help if you want, you probably wont help. Snark if you want, your neckbeard comments wont snark off a set of barleywine fed mantits.
  10. nanobrew

how many Kaggen's did you land with Depomation? ;)

p.s. Have you been brewing anymore sours? I have some that should be ready in the spring/summer, we should trade again.
    SubpoenaDeuces likes this.
  11. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

I traded him at least 3 Kaggens. Then again, there's more Stormaksporter in Chicagoland than Scandinavia.
  12. SpdKilz

SpdKilz Advocate (700) Illinois Jan 8, 2009

It was nom nom!

I still have to open that Depomation. Soon and the other goodies you sent me. SOON!
  13. nanobrew

My pb&j is over flowing with jelly. How can chicago get these walez sours when the locals are shut out
  14. I blocked my cellar, because of these types. In fact, I also leave my inbox full because I've received 15-20 unsolicited BMs from 2012 members with little to no trade history saying they have Heady, Hopslam, etc... and are interested in Rare, DDG, CC, BA DL.
  15. Still trying to figure out whose troll account that is. He's not funny and I wish it was banned, or killed with fire.
    Hugonaut13 likes this.
  16. Dat

Dat Savant (340) Texas Aug 5, 2007

Wait, aren't you a mathematician? Combine your math with my algorithm/programming and I think we can come up with a quantitative technique to derive a model. o_O
    JulianB likes this.
  17. shyhenry

shyhenry Aficionado (145) Virginia Oct 11, 2010

Pre-trading Bolt Cutter?
    Rempo, writerLJBerg, Bluecane and 6 others like this.
  18. Zima, jerk.
  19. I normally would never post a private convo with another BA but "themind" kind of deserves everything he gets. This is what transpired after he posted in my ISO: 3L RR for a buddy's bday thread saying he had what I was looking for...

GuisseppeFranco
    That's awesome. Is there anything in particular you're looking for? Given that I'm in NY and you NJ, we def share a good portion of our distro. But I'm sure I can come up with some stuff for you.

Which bottle do you have and also where in NJ are you? I'm in the Bronx, so maybe we would be able to do the deal IP.

Cheers,
    Nick

themind
    Any deal I do most likely would be in person. The question is what can you get that I can not. Then a trade is there. In a week or so I will be getting a case of Pliny so we can go from there. Three Floyds, cigar city, heady...etc...

GuisseppeFranco
    Well I'm sort of under the gun with time so I'd like to try to sort something out quickly if possible. Where in NJ are you and which 3L RR bottle do you have? I'm sure I can put together a nice $4$ amount of beer you would be happy with.

themind
    Well I dont get it for a week or so. $4$ is kinda hard since it took an alignment of the stars to even get this stuff. I have had three cases in two years but its not easy. I also have Supplication coming but thats even harder to get.

GuisseppeFranco
    I think there's been a little confusion. I'm looking for a 3 liter bottle of one of Russian River's sours, not Pliny. When you replied in the thread I thought that's what you said you had. Sorry for the mistake.

themind
    I am getting supplication a pinit noir barreled sour American wild ale. No 3 liters here lol sorry

GuisseppeFranco
    Oh and just so you're aware for any possible trades you may try to make, Pliny is not terribly hard to get and no one in their right mind would/should ever trade more than $4$ to obtain it. As for Supplication, a short drive to Philly will get you all of the RR sours your heart desires and they too should not be traded for for more than anything other than $4$ shelf beers.

Cheers.

themind
    Supplication you will only get it on tap, pliny east coast is nearly impossible unless you go to philly to get it on tap. I dare you to attempt to get pliny or supplication in the bottle in philly lol! because you will not. I have 10 bottles of supplication and a case of fresh pliny. Good luck with your search $4$

themind
    Oh and google beeradvocate beers of fame pliny is #1 all time. So to any IPA lover a trade for this brew is a must!
  20. He is consistent at least...
    Hugonaut13, gpawned, JRorie and 4 others like this.
  21. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

Comedy gold. Thanks for sharing!
  22. Romulux

Romulux Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 28, 2008

themind is a peach! I refuse to believe he is a troll. I can't glean from his posts anything other than complete
    cluelessness and the inability to understand that all the "beer knowledge" he drops is novice 101, stuff. All I really know is he cracks me up.....god bless him.
  23. Definitely not a troll. He 100% believes everything that he says.
    SpdKilz, jsboots21 and gpawned like this.
  24. You should have seen what he said to me. I left the convo for my own sanity, but it was sad.
  25. Did he tell
    you how well Pliny ages? He does insist that 6 month Pliny is great.
    Hugonaut13 likes this.
  26. He took serious offense to me making fun of him for that.
    Gosox8787 and lucas1801 like this.
  27. gory4d

gory4d Savant (475) New York Apr 14, 2007

My jaw dropped. Staggering.
  28. I was having a shitty day. Thank you so much for this.
    jodan, JulianB, gpawned and 1 other person like this.
  29. Just follow themind it is worth it. I only have one thing to say to him, "stay gold themind, stay gold".
  30. Haha, Priceless.
  31. Someone should nonchalantly suggest to him that he start doing video reviews. Can themind + Vinnie get the best of Bitzy + Sam?
  32. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (350) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

Only if themind lives with his mother.

MAA! MEATLOAF... and some Beeahs!
  33. warrenout330

warrenout330 Aficionado (240) Ohio Oct 19, 2012

In all fairness, I'm new smd learning this trading game. For instance I attempted to trade a westy I waited in line for 4 hrs just to have the shot at buying a brick. So that kind of put in my head as " valuable ". So I did a FT: offer.... some Guy offered a abyss for it... and I not knowing much, said what else do you have for trade... black,blah,blah, RR conceration.... I said throw both and I'll trade.... mind you I'm new to this trade crap..... this Guy probably choked from laughing so hard, or probably curb stomp me.... but politely shut me down..... I mean I thought it was valuable, it is but not much as I saw it, I guess .... now the kicker.... I did a trade with patchmaster.... common trade, extras blah blah blah.... dudes sends me a westy as a extra..... -_______- ........ completely mind F'd me! But yah, my point.... I'm honest and learning ......this trade thing and value based upon bottle for bottle
    GuisseppeFranco likes this.
  34. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Initiate (0) California Nov 26, 2008

My suggestion......- ......0-------- stop abusing ellipses--....... browse the trade forums a bit-....---......... you'll get a sense of what Westy trades for ...........
  35. warrenout330

Hahahahahaha. Seriously?! Give me break?!But your right about the westy, I learned something. Also look, no ellipses! You must be a grammer major? Teacher? Professor? It probably really irritates you when people....do....this....all the....time. Anyway it was story, calm yourself killer .... I mean professor arbitrator! :)
  36. themind número dos?
    chardlogic and warrenout330 like this.
  37. warrenout330

And you must be a Spanish teacher?
  38. Si señor.
  39. warrenout330

Here's something to translate... fila mou to Kolo! And here's a hint, it's not Spanish malaka!
  40. The Greeks always want to go ther don't they now. Dude chill out and take some ribbing.
    warrenout330 likes this.