1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Observation on old Racer 5 and old Sculpin

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by GRG1313, Mar 2, 2013.

1. GRG1313

GRG1313 Champion (815) California Jan 15, 2009

Sorry to post again but as I go through the cellar and find "lost" bottles I can't resist opening and trying.

Just opened a Racer 5 that is close to two years old - ugh! Don't. (And, Racer 5 is one of my "go to" beers and, IMO, one of the best beers on the planet! Old is not good however).

Just opened at same time a Sculpin that is also about two years old. It did not have the same character that we all expect in Sculpin. However, it was very good and quite drinkable! I probably would not age Sculpin on purpose; but, if you want to just experiment and see what happens - it ain't bad!

2. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (600) Colorado Apr 15, 2011

You're doing it all wrong. See, it's DOUBLE IPAs that turn into barleywines.

3. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

No shit, Sherlock. ;)

4. GRG1313

Thank you. It's your kind of post that makes this site so insiteful, meaningful and fuzzy!

muletrane likes this.
  5. jtmartino

Oh come on, I even included a winky!

Thanks for confirming that IPAs don't taste great after cellaring. Of course, I can get a hell of a good look at a T-Bone steak by sticking my head up a bull's ass, but I'd rather take the butcher's word for it.

6. GRG1313

I am clearly too old for this site.

7. jtmartino

While drinking down your cellar, check out the movie "Tommy Boy."

8. Did these get lost in the cellar?

9. GRG1313

10. brewbicle

brewbicle Zealot (80) Minnesota Mar 29, 2011

Generally speaking you do not want to age IPAs or even IIPAs. The hops are the first thing to break down during the aging process leaving the malts alone. IPAs are not brewed to be malt forward beers and as such when they lose their hop counterparts don't result in very good beers.

I have no personal experience with aging IIPAs, and apparently the case has been made that they can age, but I always drink those as I get them. The IPAs and IIPAs are meant to be hoppy and as such should be enjoyed while they are hoppy, that's is my two cents.