Ocelot Brewing event at Meridian Pint 5-21-15 (Washington, DC)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by nightfly, May 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nightfly

nightfly Initiate (0) Feb 11, 2010 District of Columbia

Even though they just opened, Ocelot Brewing may be brewing the tastiest beer in DC metro area. They will have 8 beers available on draft at Meridian Pint on Thursday so you can judge for yourself. All their beer is extremely fresh.

From Ocelot Facebook page:
    Lemon Yellow Sun, Soft Lies, Fleeting Glimpse, Fading Beauty, and My Worried Mind.
    5/21 Meridian Pint in NW DC will have all of the above beers as well as the DC debut of our big bad imperial stout, My Only Friend and an big tasty imperial red, Hangman. Plus hopefully a brand new DIPA, Dogs of Doom as well (fingers crossed).

patrickomatic and siege06nd like this.
  2. nimbleprop

nimbleprop Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2008 District of Columbia

Wait... seriously? Either way, I am likely going to be there.

siege06nd likes this.
  3. siege06nd

siege06nd Pooh-Bah (1,853) Dec 29, 2009 Virginia
    Pooh-Bah Society

Seriously these guys are making some of the best beer in the area and they are less than two months old. Very very impressive opening salvo from Ocelot. Check them out!

4. beernuts

beernuts Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia

Don't get your expectations too high, but its so good you'll shit your pants.

wyckyd_sceptre likes this.
  5. wyckyd_sceptre

wyckyd_sceptre Initiate (0) Oct 26, 2013 Pennsylvania

Interesting...I'm going to be in DC in two weeks. Where do you guys think I'll have to best chance on finding their stuff on draft (that isn't at the brewery)

6. stickboy1125

stickboy1125 Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2012 Virginia
    Deactivated

Went to Ocelot for the first time today, the Nelson hopped DIPA (fading beauty??) is really tasty, enjoyed the Berliner as well. Stoked the brewery is like 5 minutes from my front door. Definitely my favorite DC area brewery.

7. BikeChef

BikeChef Pundit (912) Dec 27, 2007 District of Columbia
    Society

Stopped by today. Yeah, these guys know what they are doing and are worth a visit. Fading Beauty was nice.

8. pmarlowe

pmarlowe Pooh-Bah (1,899) Nov 27, 2010 Virginia
    Pooh-Bah

Yeah, the DIPA is tasty and the Berliner shows a lot of promise (if it were more tart, I'd drink it all the time).

siege06nd likes this.
  9. RKP1967

RKP1967 Savant (1,126) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

So all in all how do they compare to Adroit Theory? Lost Rhino? Old Ox? Or are they not far enough along to make a fair comparison to anyone?

Thinking about a visit to at least one of them this weekend and wondering who is currently top of the heap among those four.

10. beernuts

I have never been to Adroit Theory or had any of their beers. Ocelot is way better than Lost Rhino, and I prefer them over what I've had from Old Ox as well, although I have had a couple really good beers from them. Ocelot doesn't have any barrel aged beers yet or anything with odd ingredients, but what they make is pretty much A+ stuff, especially if you like hops and high abv beers (like 8-10%).

11. stickboy1125

Deactivated

Based on what I have had and my style preferences, I would, without question, pick Ocelot over Lost Rhino and Old Ox (I've never had anything from Androit). If I am remembering correctly, Ocelot only had 'imperial' styles, so everything, including the Berliner was over 7% ABV so if you are looking for lighter styles then you might have better luck at LR or OO. Also, if you are looking to get growler fills, Ocelot is kind of expensive IMO, cheapest was $12 for a 32oz, most were $14.

Lost Rhino and Old Ox are really close to each other so you could hit both easily, Ocelot isn't too far from them either.

12. Sludgeman

Sludgeman Grand Pooh-Bah (3,282) Aug 17, 2012 District of Columbia
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Adroit Theory has some very tasty and unique beers. Visited with the owner at their Westover tap takeover a few weeks ago. She led me to believe that their intentions were to continually brew new beers, never repeating the same formula. That would be disappointing.

13. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2012 Virginia

Ocelot- Still early but they might end up with the best ipas in the VA/DC/MD area.

Lost Rhino- Their standard lineup is ok. The two sours I have had from them have been the best sours I have had from breweries in VA/DC/MD.

Old ox- Only been once. Thought their beers were ok nothing jumped out at me.

Adroit- Not a fan. I think they try to hard to make their beers unique. Recently tried two bottles. One was a black porter that I thought was one of the better beers I had from them. The second was called Ortolan Bunting and was one of the worst beers I have had recently. There was some sludge that poured out near the bottom and when the beer settled it kind of looked like a half and half. I took a few sips and had to drain pour it. It was gross.

14. beernuts

I was at Lost Rhino last week, and while I think their IPA is pretty lackluster, the hoppy pils is actually really good.

15. starrdogg

starrdogg Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2010 District of Columbia

Exciting to hear that their IPAs are high-quality! I had their berliner last week and was pretty unimpressed, but good to know that's not indicative of the rest of their portfolio.

16. BMitch

BMitch Crusader (447) Jul 10, 2012 Virginia

I enjoyed the Berliner for the most part, but for what it's worth- in speaking with their head brewer (Adrian), he said he wasn't totally satisfied with how it came out and looked forward to it improving on the next go around.

Just about everything else has been really good so far, especially for a brand new brewery. I was a big fan of their IPA, DIPA and Imperial Stout.

17. C20Percent

C20Percent Initiate (0) Aug 24, 2011 Virginia

I think the price of growler fills will make more sense when they start selling bottles. When bottles are between $12-15 for 750mL then $12 for a 32oz growler fill won't seem so expensive.

18. RKP1967

RKP1967 Savant (1,126) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

Fair Lakes Whole Foods posted this. Wonder if the growler fills will be more affordable there?

This weekend just got a lot more Oceloty! That's right, we are playing host to the unofficial NoVa launch party for Ocelot Brewing, and I couldn't be more excited! Details forthcoming.

19. stickboy1125

Deactivated

$12-15 for a 750? I hope not, I'd never pay that for any of their current beers. Good beers but unfortunately, at their current prices, my purchases from them will be few and very far between. Once the novelty wears off, I'd be surprised if they can continue selling at those prices.

Can't imagine the fills will be significantly cheaper, hopefully I'm wrong.

20. beernuts

That Whole Foods usually has good growler prices, I wouldn't be surprised to see them around $8/32 oz. And as far as I know, potential bottle prices are just speculation at this point, right? They definitely don't have any bottles for sale yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.