1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Odell Isolation Ale vs Deschutes Jubelale Ale

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by denver10, Oct 8, 2012.

1. denver10

denver10 Champion (865) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

While I am not much of a Winter Warmer fan I recently picked up a sixer of Odell's Isolation Ale the other day and I am definitely enjoying it. My limited experience with the style is that they are usually dominated by the spices where I find that Isolation Ale uses the cinnamon as more of a supporting player. I have yet to try Jubelale, but it sounds like Deschutes uses spices in a similar manner,with some finesse and in a manner where it simply supports (not dominates) the beer. I have read the reviews so I don't need a description of what Jubelale is, but I am curious how it compares to Isolation Ale. Which one do you prefer and, most importantly, why?
  2. I prefer Isolation. It's a little hoppier which gives it a slight advantage. Both are great beers though.
  3. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I prefer Jubelale because it's more complex but both are worth the bucks.
  4. Never had Isolation so I can't comment on the comparison.
    But, check out Full Sail Wassail if it's available to you.
    I drink more than my fair share of both Wassail and Jubelale during the winter months.
  5. Odell's not available in CA, so I've never had Isolation. Big fan of Jubeale, and I buy it every year. Haven't seen it yet, but I saw the new Snow Cap, so it shouldn't be far behind. I've bought it this early before.
  6. alexipa

alexipa Savant (410) Colorado Oct 7, 2011

I prefer Isolation slightly but Jubelale is great. My all time favorite winter warmer is Old Jubilation due to the higher ABV, maltiness, and complexity.
  7. denver10

denver10 Champion (865) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Looks like I am going to have to give Jubelale a shot.

Its been a few years since I last tried Old Jubilation but wasn't a huge fan of it when I last did. My tastes, however, have since evolved so maybe I'll give it another shot. Also, my experiences with Full Sail have yet to wow me but they also haven't ever been bad so I'll also keep an eye out for Wassail, which I do believe we get. Maybe a mix a six with these beers is in order if I can find a store that has these available in that format.
  8. mjryan

mjryan Savant (455) Minnesota Dec 22, 2007

I much prefer the spice character of Celebration Ale to that of Isolation. Too soon?