1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Odell St. Lupulin is BACK!

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by Prospero, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (655) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

Love this beer so much thought it deserved it's own thread.

This is a beer I'll be drinking daily til September til we have to say goodbye again. Wish this was an year-round beer for Odell.

Sorry had already forgot about the thread on page 2:
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/the-return-of-st-lupulin.83199/

I do love this beer, not sure if I mentioned that yet or not.

If anyone has a homebrew clone of this beer I'd be forever in your favor as it'd save me a bundle. Probably the lightest bodied 6.5% XAPA beer I've ever had, even better than Alesmith's

2. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Got the first of many six packs to come last night, if you're serious about cloning it ask around the homebrew forum, i'd be up to brew it.

3. Prospero

Yeah, 10-gallon batch of St. Lupulin here I come!

4. here's an alleged direct quote from the brewery PR people when asked for homebrew help, at least according to a poster on another forum (Homebrew Talk):

"Some of the hops we use are Columbus, Perle, Chinook, Amarillo, and
    Centennial and we hop back using whole flowers of some of these. Some of
    the malts we use are Pale Malt, ESB Malt, Vienna, and Caramalt. Both the
    IPA and St. Lupulin are hop backed and dry hopped in addition to the
    boil addition."

Perhaps not so much help in reverse engineering, but maybe enough...I would probably bitter with the (neutral) Perle and then add the 1/2 of the rest in the kettle at knockout/whirlpool with 1/2 in a hopback recirculating into the kettle. Maybe 2 oz each, divided in half between the kettle and the hopback.

Then dryhop probably 1 oz to 1 1/2 oz each of Amarillo and Centennial and 1/2 oz each Chinook and Columbus...(for a 5 gallon batch, more for 10)

5. joshclauss

joshclauss Savant (305) Colorado Oct 31, 2010

This isn't surprising to me. I like the beer alright, but the hop presence is very muddled. I think a streamlining of the hops might make for a better beer.

6. Prospero

Aside from Perle, the other hops are very commonly used together in american IPAs so it may be the combination of Perle with the slight mint characteristic it gives off along with the German yeast (rumored) that Odell uses. I actually quite enjoy the slight variation.

7. Just curious what others are paying for a sixer, I payed $10.99 at my local.

8. denver10

denver10 Champion (890) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Think I paid $9.99 like I do for all Odell seasonals. Will have to double check.

9. Fitshaced

Fitshaced Aficionado (220) Colorado Feb 29, 2012

I'm not a home brewer. So I'm lost on what "Hop Presence is very muddled" and "Streamlining the Hops" means?

Have always thought St. Lup is a very tasty "IPA" love the hops and Amarillo is one of my faves

10. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,030) Colorado May 19, 2005

I'd love to do a clone, but I ain't gots me a hopback. Too fancy for me; leave that to the pros

11. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Advocate (530) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

Couple hours of yard work and drinking me a Lupulin right now! :D
    Maybe I'll have 5 more!!