1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Odell to release an American Session Ale: Looseleaf

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by denver10, Mar 14, 2013.

1. denver10

denver10 Champion (910) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

[​IMG]

I think the Westword has it right, its flying under the radar. I had absolutely zero clue about this. I am always excited to try something new from Odell. Looking forward to checking this out, already digging the artwork.

I guess only will be available in a variety twelve though. Cool that Odell will be offering a variety pack, less cool that that will be the only way of getting bottles of this.

As for the variety pack:

"Odell's Montage variety pack will include three bottles each of Loose Leaf, 90 Shilling, IPA and St. Lupulin, a summer seasonal. As the seasons change, St. Lupulin will be subbed out for Isolation, while Loose Leaf will be exchanged for another new brew."

Digging the selection. Part of me would like to see Cutthroat Porter included (maybe that will be a seasonal replacement of Loose Leaf?), but not sure I would take anything out to get it in. I am sure many will say dump 90 Schilling for it, but I have a soft spot for 90 Schilling and actually prefer it to Cutthroat.

http://blogs.westword.com/cafesociety/2013/02/odells_next_beer_loose_leaf_wi.php

gatornation and FishPondManager like this.
  2. Ive liked a lot of the pilot system session ales. This one should be good too. However, I loved a lot of the chocolate stouts that came out of the pilot system, but was a bit dissapointed personally with Lugene.

I'm guessing the variety pack might be 3 each of this, easy street, five barrel, and cutthroat? I'd also imagine you'll be able to pull individual bottles from the cooler in the taproom for those of us near the brewery.

hopfacebrew likes this.
  3. guyforget

guyforget Aficionado (205) Colorado Nov 12, 2009

seasonal 12 packs suck

looking forward to their peach ipa coming soon too

4. denver10

I tweaked my initial post while you were responding....variety pack will rotate some by seasons (seasonal releases all shifting and Loose Leaf apparently shifting) and start out with Loose Leaf, St Lupulin, IPA, and 90 Schilling. I am not much of a mixed 12 pack fan, but this one is right up my alley.

And I hear you on the pilot chocolate stouts and Lugene. I like Lugene so I can't complain, but it certainly is no Chocolate Oar. I have yet to try many of their piloted session ales, so I have nothing to base my expectations on. Kinda curious about their most recent Sesh Brau though.

5. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

We were talking about this at the Gratzer tasting this past weekend. Seems odd that this is only in mixed 12's. There probably has to be some kind of reasoning behind it, though. Luckily, I love all of the normal Odell beers (sans maybe Easy Street), so that's no big deal.
    I love that these new ultra-flavorful low ABV beers are coming out locally.

FishPondManager likes this.
  6. denver10

From the Westword article:

"Loose Leaf will be introduced in May as part of Odell's new variety pack because the brewery wanted "a way to introduce a new beer and get customers' feedback without fulling having to launch a new SKU," Johnson says. If the beer does well, it will probably be launched in its own four- or six-pack."

Bitterbill likes this.
  7. guyforget

guyforget Aficionado (205) Colorado Nov 12, 2009

i think lagunitas fractional ipa is the only "session ipa" ive tried so far. doesnt sound like odell is ready to call their an ipa but the label does mention being strongly hopped.

for what it was - fractional was pretty good. i'd say i have moderate to high expectations from odell on this one.

founders just released "daytime ipa," a similar concept. have not tried, friends have mentioned preferring lagunitas, no surprise there.

8. denver10

I haven't tried either of those "session ipas" but I did try a recent pilot APA from Odell, 7272 (named after the experimental hop variety) that landed at 4.5%. Stuff packed a ton of flavor, which was impressive, but I found it to be too musky for me, personally, overall. But it was enough to give me hope that whatever they come up with will be super flavorful.

9. hopfacebrew

hopfacebrew Savant (475) Colorado Jul 26, 2011

I am also really looking forward to this!

10. joshclauss

joshclauss Savant (315) Colorado Oct 31, 2010

I want to try this badly, but I won't be purchasing a mixed 12 for it. I didn't read the article - is any draft planned?

I much prefer the Lagunitas Daytime way of releasing a risky new beer - as a very limited seasonal that can prove its way into being a full-time seasonal or year-round. That stuff flew off shelves. But I realize this approach isn't ideal or possible for every brewery.

11. denver10

I don't believed it stated that, but I would imagine it will be. I mean, even a number of their pilot brews make it onto taps outside the taproom. At least here in Fort Collins.

12. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,245) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

That's what I reckoned.

13. Bitterbill

14. Bitterbill

I see on FB that they are bottling Tree Shaker today. An Imperial Peach IPA? Sorry if it's been talked about before.

hopfacebrew likes this.
  15. denver10

Yeah, I can't wait for that Tree Shaker. Still thrown off by the idea of having to spend over $10 for IIPA...that one might be a only on draft option. I'll get less but at least spend less.

hopfacebrew likes this.
  16. chicano4craft

chicano4craft Savant (310) Colorado Apr 18, 2009

I will be drinking Loose Leaf in the parking lot this summer at Red Rocks. :)

hopfacebrew likes this.
  17. Domingo

I'm curious about this one myself. I had an early version of Avant Peche that was borderline awful. The tasting room was laden with nearly full glasses and tasters just sitting there. However, the final version turned out to be pretty tasty. Hopefully they learned the process of brewing with peaches and this one will be good from the start.

Bitterbill likes this.
  18. poopinmybutt

poopinmybutt Savant (280) Nebraska May 25, 2005

a session ale that you can only get 3 of at a time? boo

excited to try it tho

19. bbfc

bbfc Aficionado (140) Colorado Mar 4, 2013

I'm looking forward to trying it. I'm normally not a fan of sampler packs, but this one looks like a solid lineup. If it's good hopefully they will actually release it in four or six packs.

20. joshclauss

joshclauss Savant (315) Colorado Oct 31, 2010

Hear, hear!

Seriously, though. If you have a session beer...and it's good...and you want to launch it...

Then let me session it! For more than a single day!

21. teraflx

teraflx Savant (425) Arizona Feb 4, 2013

22. denver10

Bottle art looks even cooler on the bottle.

23. I was in there today. BTW, Ground Control is pretty good. They said that single bottles would not be available for sale in the taproom. Everything is going in the mixed 12. It will be on tap starting this weekend. They've also got Loose Leaf branded men's and women's shirts that look pretty nice.

24. Bitterbill

IMHO, Tree Shaker is kind of a mess. Pretty disappointed.:(

chicano4craft and SalukiAlum like this.
  25. denver10

What is Ground Control?

I'd say bummer about the beer not being available as a single at the taproom, but I dig the selection in the variety pack, so don't mind checking it out that way.

26. Coffee stout

denver10 likes this.
  27. denver10

Nice, want to try....just hope its better than Muddy Huddy, which was a bit of a mess.

28. Steve_0

Steve_0 Savant (285) Colorado Mar 14, 2012

Just stopped by today and Ground Control was nice. Great use of coffee without being overbearing.

29. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (695) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

Just FYI, for those not wanting to buy the entire Montage, a couple opportunities to get it on tap during American Craft Beer Week:

http://*blocked*/2013/05/odell-brew...olorado-in-may-hits-other-states-in-june-313/

30. Kenzie

Kenzie Aficionado (230) Utah Feb 23, 2013

I just saw this two nights ago on their face book which wast he first time I've heard about it. I'm excited to try it, maybe I will have to go to old Chicago next week in Grand Junction.

31. I wish the would do a new barrel aged stout.

32. Domingo

They have had a lot of issues with that beer over the years. I wouldn't be surprised if they were in no hurry to release it again.
    We cracked one at a blind tasting last year and half the room thought it was Jolly Pumpkin.

33. denver10

Looks like Montage is expected to hit the local stores today.

34. hopfacebrew

hopfacebrew Savant (475) Colorado Jul 26, 2011

Too bad they didn't decide to sell this in sixers. It would be really easy to crush a bunch of these.

35. it's not bad, but to stick bourbon in the title just seems silly

36. I just got the email from Old Chicago for Odell's tap takeover for Craft Beer Week, next week. Beers:
    Loose Leaf, St. Lupulin, 90 Shilling, IPA, Easy Street and Lugene.

37. PalatePilot

PalatePilot Savant (460) Colorado Dec 24, 2010

Uggh Muddy Huddy was horrible.

From what I understand it was their GABF Pro Am beer though.

Bought a Montage last night. I slammed those Loose Leaf's in about 10 gulps.
    Great beer, wish they put it in 12's though.

denver10 likes this.
  38. denver10

What's the deal on Loose Leaf....all I have seen it being labeled as is a "session ale." But that really doesn't give any indication toward style or its actual flavor profile.

39. Domingo

While I don't know, my guess is that it's probably similar to the "American table beers" starting to show up more and more. Some of them have English roots, but they're usually just mild APAs, often times with additional hops to pad the flavor profile (since we're used to bolder stuff over here).