1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Odell to release an American Session Ale: Looseleaf

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by denver10, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Meant to reply to your WAYDN question from last night but was sidetracked by Jim James solo and a myriad of 20-something girls in yoga pants: Loose Leaf has that 4.5% subtly hop-tinged pale English thing going, similar to what Domingo described. It's exceptionally easy to drink and I concur that it'd have been far better suited in 6/12-bottle formats. It is a rotating seasonal, so perhaps with enough demand, the brewery will consider different packaging next year. That said, I believe Montage orders were large. Perhaps the best way to enjoy the way it's meant to is on draft. For me, it's a flavorful beer worth drinking on summer days when consumption is a duration thing.
    denver10 likes this.
  2. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Savant (480) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

Love the Montage 12 pack!! What a solid mix of beers with summer right around the corner, and at $19 for a 12 is a nice price point as well.
    denver10 and FishPondManager like this.
  3. Fitshaced

Fitshaced Aficionado (220) Colorado Feb 29, 2012

I love lagunitas and I LOVE SUCKS. But Daytime sucked ass..
  4. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Savant (480) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

Agree with you here! I really like Little Sumpin too!
  5. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Got a mixed pack yesterday and my wife cracked open a loose leaf. It's definitely along the lines of what I expected, although using paler malts than most. Mild, but the hops give it a good flavor. It's a little like a "baby" Lupulin.
  6. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (610) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

St. Lupulin's already my session ale though.... I gotta be honest I know St. Lupulin is 6.5% but that beer goes down just fine.
    denver10 and SalukiAlum like this.
  7. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

I don't disagree. If anything, Lupulin is a better beer, too. The caveat for me is that it's nice to be able to order milder beers like this one when I'm out, so I can have more than one. However with this one only being in mixed 12's, that doesn't necessarily apply. Hopefully it'll be a common draft option as well.
  8. denver10

denver10 Champion (865) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Finally tried this earlier at the taproom....it was okay, kinda like Deschutes River Ale was okay. I have no need for these to be in six pack forms though. We'll see, I also grabbed a Montage pack and drinking a bottle as I type, so perhaps it will grow on me. Certainly worthy of being included in the Montage pack.
    SalukiAlum likes this.
  9. denver10

Different beers I know, but for an Odell session like beer I think Levity at 5.0 abv is more to my liking.
  10. chicano4craft

chicano4craft Savant (310) Colorado Apr 18, 2009

I'd like to see Levity in cans...maybe a twelve pack. That would be a great fishing, tailgating, lawnmower beer. Having said that the Montage pack is pretty awesome. The only problem is it won't last very long.
    hopfacebrew and denver10 like this.
  11. hopfacebrew

hopfacebrew Savant (455) Colorado Jul 26, 2011

Absolutely. :)
  12. denver10

Had some more Loose Leaf and this beer is significantly better straight from the bottle, IMO> Found the difference to be great enough to acknowledge that if they could offer this in six packs and sold it at Deschutes prices, it would probably be a constant in my fridge throughout the summer.
    SalukiAlum likes this.