1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Odell Tree Shaker Imperial Peach IPA

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by denver10, Feb 20, 2013.

1. denver10

denver10 Champion (865) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

[​IMG]

Looks like this will be an upcoming Cellar Reserve Series release from Odell. I am sure it will be delicious but I wonder what the cost will be. Current Cellar Series price point or, hopefully, significantly cheaper?
  2. joshclauss

joshclauss Savant (305) Colorado Oct 31, 2010

I wonder if this has anything to do with why we got Amuste this year and not another batch of Avant Peche. Had Amuste the other day and liked it a lot, but I would love to see fresh Avant Peche roll back into my life. This sounds great, too, but I would love to see it released in 4-packs a la Mountain Standard rather than a large-format package. I had the Peach IPA from Cigar City a couple weeks ago and was totally in love. This is exciting no matter how it's coming, but I'm afraid I will want to drink it more often than 750ml will allow...
  3. I don't have a clear line on cost, but I'm assuming in the Meddler/Amuste range of $13-16. It should hit shelves in March...and if I'm guessing, after Paddy's day. If I'm wrong on cost, I'll buy you one denver10...I need to drink with you and your love of Pink Floyd anyway.
    denver10 likes this.
  4. denver10

Yeah, I agree, 4 packs would be a much more desirable format for this one.

I tried a Peach IPA from Odell last summer/early fall and enjoyed it, so I am sure this will be delicious.
  5. denver10

Hope it is on the cheaper end of that spectrum....would have preferred it even lower, to be honest. I was going to say i much prefer to spend that money on dark, maltier beers that are heavier and more sippers than an IPA, but then I realized I have bought plenty of sour beers too, and those certainly aren't dark and heavy and i drink them just as quickly as IPA's (for the most part....some of Avery's being an excception). I don't know, guess I have just never been faced with the need to spend more than $8/$9 for an IPA/IIPA before....this will be a first.

And I would certainly be down with a beer sometime.
    Bitterbill and SkeeterBoganski like this.
  6. Agreed on formatting. I also had Cigar City's Peach IPA at Funky Buddha a few weeks ago and it was delicious. My only desire: more peach, more ABV. I think Tree Shaker should fill both of those demands.
  7. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Well, looks like I'll be drinking the shit out of another peach beer this spring / summer.
  8. chicano4craft

chicano4craft Savant (310) Colorado Apr 18, 2009

Pretty excited for this. Last summer I did a half and half with the IPA and their Peach ale at the taproom. If it's anything like that I'm sure it'll be good.
  9. hopfacebrew

hopfacebrew Savant (465) Colorado Jul 26, 2011

Well I like the first bottle I bought. It's big and while I didn't think the peach was overwhelming my wife certainly did. I'd be interested to hear what you all have to say.
  10. Moose90

Moose90 Savant (405) Colorado Nov 25, 2012

I'll likely be grabbing a bottle tomorrow assuming it is in at the store.
  11. denver10

Saw its on tap at the Mayor....thinking I will try it there first before committing $12.99 to a bottle. Still wrapping my head around the idea of spending $10+ on a IIPA, despite how good I anticipate it being. I am sure, however, that as soon as I try it on tap any hesitation at spending the money will be down the drain.
    Bitterbill likes this.
  12. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Had some at Odell this weekend. It wasn't labeled correctly in our sampler - we just figured it was a sweet fruit-note heavy IPA that had a ton of tropical and citrus hops. Once we knew what it was, it made more sense. We dug it "blind" and after learning what it was. I'd buy a bottle if it wasn't expensive.
  13. heyduke

heyduke Aficionado (170) Colorado Jan 14, 2011

where did you find it?
  14. hopfacebrew

hopfacebrew Savant (465) Colorado Jul 26, 2011

I bought mine at Argonaut. Friend picked several up at Davidson's last night.
  15. Davidson's now has a 1 bottle limit and you need to ask for it. But right down the road at Lukas, they are sitting out on the shelves with no limit (Lukas still also has a shit ton of Sucks...).
  16. denver10

Just got around to trying it and totally agree; dug it, peach is there but far from being overwhelming. Really good IIPA, just wish it was offered in 4 packs.
    SkeeterBoganski and hopfacebrew like this.
  17. mklever42

mklever42 Savant (300) Colorado Apr 28, 2012

Hopefully Sucks is still somewhat fresh
  18. That shipment came in last week, so it's fresh.
  19. mklever42

mklever42 Savant (300) Colorado Apr 28, 2012

Shweet! Road trip from the Springs
  20. Really? I was there Saturday and the bottles said 061 (vs. 058). Is there fresher bottles than that that they're holding back or something? If not, I guess 061 is 3 days fresher but not exactly fresh fresh.
  21. guyforget

guyforget Aficionado (205) Colorado Nov 12, 2009

im an ipa snob and 061 is still drinking pretty well, not quite as punchy as super-fresh but still pretty fruity. better than pliny at that many days, imo (as compared to the 3/12 pliny that came in last week). 1 day old, i'd still prefer pliny but sucks def seems to hold up better in the cooler.

looking forward to seeing a tree shaker on a shelf in park hill [denver] soon.
  22. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Savant (420) Colorado Sep 24, 2010

Hit the shelves at Liquor Land (Longmont).
  23. Had Tree Shaker last night. It was good but like many others I think I'd rather buy a 6'er of Sucks than this going forward (cheaper and you get more beer). If you haven't tried it I think it's worth buying once though.
    denver10 likes this.
  24. Got in to a Tree Shaker just a bit ago. It's pretty damn good...I wish it was a bit more hop-forward but the peach is nicely muted (while still present and sweet) and seems to positively conceal that 9.7%.
  25. poonamibaxter

poonamibaxter Savant (315) Colorado Jun 26, 2007

Grabbed one tonight at Lukas and I gotta say, I didn't care for it. It tasted over carbed on the first couple sips even though it isn't over carbed. The next few sips tasted better but I still didn't finish the glass. Take it with a grain of salt because I usually don't care for Odells. Mtn Standard is the only one I really like. I'm in the minority, I don't like Deschutes either.
  26. joshclauss

Alcohol is a major contributor to the flavor profile, but it's not necessarily offensive. I found it to be estery like saison yeast...even a little as though it were refermented with brett. Don't know if that's actually there from what was on the peaches or if it's just the way all of the elements together made it seem, but it was pretty surprising. I had to go around and around on what I thought the familiar flavors/aromas were until I realized, "Holy shit, that's just like a saison."
  27. denver10

Ended up grabbing a bottle of this - I knew I wouldn't be able to resist - and found it had an astringent flavor to it. Noticed the same thing when I bought my original bottle of Shenanigans back in the day as well but assumed it was the barrel back then, but it was very present with this one too. Now I am thinking maybe it has to do with the cork? It definitely was not an issue when I had the beer on tap the other day. Anyone else have this issue?
  28. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Popped one open last night, seemed pretty hot compared to a lot of dipa's out right now. Like joshclauss was saying the yeast stands out with this brew, almost too much for me. Add in the peaches and the citrus hops and I can only take this one in small doses. My first impression though had me thinking this would be a great base for some brett additions.
  29. I know you usually aren't supposed to cellar IPAs, but I wonder if a little cellar time would do this one right. Maybe a couple months?
  30. MYJELLOMISFIT

MYJELLOMISFIT Initiate (0) Colorado Jan 14, 2007

I like this beer a lot. Should've been four-packs to replace Lugene seasonally. The beer is overpriced still because of the use of the cork and cage. This beer shouldn't have been packaged like that. Throw some in barrels and sour the hell out of it.... then cork and cage it.
  31. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Advocate (505) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

I didn't care for this beer at all. Have to re visit, I never give up on a beer after one try. Lot of factors involved. But guess I was expecting more IPA, lighter body and sweeter. Didn't get the balance or enjoy the peach flavor. Again I'll re visit, Odell is my favorite brewery by the way!
    chicano4craft likes this.
  32. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Advocate (505) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

Price point a little high as well. Maybe $9.99?
    denver10 and hopfacebrew like this.
  33. guyforget

guyforget Aficionado (205) Colorado Nov 12, 2009

first impressions were somewhat moderate, will revisit but was expecting more. mosaic hops would be a good idea next time, i think.
  34. Not my favorite from Odell, especially at the price point. I recon'd the brew at Odell on Saturday and definitely won't be buying any bottles. I agree that this one would be better served to replace or go alongside Double Pils as the summer 4 pack offering. Can't understand a C&C $17 double IPA.
    denver10 and SalukiAlum like this.
  35. joshclauss

Didn't get this at all, but it's an IPA, so...by astringency, do you mean more flavor (bitterness) or mouthfeel (chalky/rind)?
  36. joshclauss

Unless I was actually picking up on some wild yeast from the fruit (not likely since I bet a brewery like Odell would treat the fruit before adding it to the beers to kill anything like that), two months would likely be far too long. This is the risk of making a high-ABV IPA that needs to be consumed fresh. Double Jack has this issue. However, in both Double Jack and Tree Shaker, I can look past the alcohol esters because the beer is good enough to overcome it. In fact, like I said with Tree Shaker, it actually works as part of the beer. But, if you were looking to wait until it mellowed, even keeping it just a couple of weeks to a month - refrigerated - could be enough.

I'd be really interested to find out the ingredients on this. If anyone from Odell or nearby it can post what they know about the makeup (hops, malt, yeast), that would be great. Both the label and the website were no help.
  37. denver10

I don't know how best to describe it other than it had a plasticy/rubbery kinda taste and smell to it. I got that from my initial bottle of Shenanigans from them too, but attributed it to the barrel. Now, that does not seem to have been the cause.

I really enjoyed this beer a lot on tap though.

As for aging this beer, I thought the malt, yeast, peach combo is probably interesting enough that with a little age it could still be a decent beer. Hops aren't crazy dominant to begin with, so the loss of them shouldn't really be that much of a big deal. I could totally be wrong on that though.
    claspada likes this.
  38. narayan

narayan Aficionado (170) Georgia Jun 28, 2007

Price point and format are my biggest issue with this beer, love how it tastes. Wish I could buy a 4-pack.
  39. claspada

claspada Advocate (630) New Jersey Sep 27, 2007

I had that same problem with my first bottle of Shenanigans when I sampled it fresh and then waited about 9 months and it was gone with my second bottle. I thought I was crazy the first time around but I am glad that it wasn't just me. Could it be something in their bottle conditioning/packaging process or bottle shock?