1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Odell's Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by denver10, May 9, 2012.

1. We don't get Odell's here in KY, but how can I not appreciate something that makes so many of my fellow BAs happy?:)
  2. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

My wife brought some Odell stuff back from a trip to Colorado, it was just their regular offerings but they were all solid. I sure wouldn't mind if they got distributed in VA.
    azdback and Geuzedad like this.
  3. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

Yeah,I have been checkin out Odells for some time now.Need to try some of their stuff.Heard lots about the ipa and mercenary among others.....will have to post a iso in the near future.

Cheers All.......
    Geuzedad likes this.
  4. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Savant (365) Missouri Jun 10, 2008

I bet Odell would love it if you called it by it's correct name. It's not Odell's.
    mariacha likes this.
  5. denver10

denver10 Champion (865) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

It's their regular everyday drinking options that make me such a fan. Their big bottle, single serve series are good but its the regular lineup, with the seasonals included in that, that ranks them so high on my list.
  6. Oh crap, next time I make it to "Odell Brewing Company" I hope they don't tell me that they don't serve my kind because I referenced us as Odell's on BA.

Per the about page on their website,"Odell's was just the second microbrewery to open in Colorado." You better tell the Odell bros they've got it wrong on their site. We wouldn't want to confuse anyone.
  7. willseph

willseph Initiate (0) Illinois Jan 31, 2011

I trade for their stuff pretty regularly, even just the off-the-shelf selections. In fact, I have some Shenanigans and double pils on the way now!
  8. I wouldn't mind if they started distributing to CA.
  9. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

no love for easy street wheat? hand's down the best american wheat beer on the market for me. i traded for some gumballhead, still like ESW better.
  10. TenHornsProud

TenHornsProud Savant (295) Colorado Aug 13, 2010

I really enjoy most of Odell's lineup but am not a big fan of the more limited releases...I can't get into the flavor profile of their wild ales.

The IPA and Myrcenary often make me wonder why I bother hunting down other IPAs though...
    Geuzedad likes this.
  11. In. The IPA and Myrcenary are outstanding, and the Red and Lupulin are fantastic as well.
    Geuzedad and denver10 like this.
  12. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Had the IPA - fantastic. Better than the majority of the "me too" IPA's here in San Diego.
    Geuzedad, checktherhyme and LSUPT like this.
  13. dachp

dachp Aficionado (205) Colorado Apr 17, 2010

Damn you beat me to it, love this beer on nitro especially for $2 at Trail Head!
  14. fortsambo

fortsambo Savant (250) Colorado Feb 14, 2011

My personal #1 brewery, always has been and always will be
    denver10 likes this.
  15. denver10

Revisiting.

Since the start of this thread, I have moved up to Fort Collins (for grad school) and now have access to all their pilot beers as well. Got to say, I only love Odell more now. So many of their pilot beers are so much better than much of what is actually on the shelves right now, IMO.
    Geuzedad and SkeeterBoganski like this.
  16. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

They are supposed to be expanding distro to Texas this year according to an email response I got. I've been lucky enough to try a couple bottles of Myrcenary and their IPA but can't wait to see it on shelves at my local store. A fantastic brewery that doesn't get enough love IMO...
    beerserks likes this.
  17. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

I have to drive an hour for Odell products, but it's well worth the drive. My bro-in-law in Denver just put Myrcenary in his kegerator. That is so not fair.
    Geuzedad likes this.
  18. lsummers

lsummers Advocate (535) California Jun 21, 2010

I also love Odell, I'm in southern Cali right now and have to have it shipped to me. All their beer seems so well done and worth the cost.
    Geuzedad likes this.
  19. vurt

vurt Savant (495) Oregon Apr 11, 2004

Another Odell fan here. Can't get it in Southern California, but I always bring some back when I visit family in Albuquerque.
  20. SFACRKnight

For all the stout lovers who overlooked odell because they were glaringly missing stouts need to check out their new lugene chocolate milk stout. Such a great brew, I think its on par with everything else they have out right now.
  21. Heard this weekend that one 12oz bottle of that is like 600 calories :eek:

Not that I'm counting calories while drinking beers but that is a bit high for me to have too many.
  22. I would doubt those numbers. Dark Lord is in the 800 range for a 22oz. I haven't had Lugene yet but I would doubt it is at a higher final gravity than Dark Lord.
  23. Yeah, it seemed pretty high to me and I have no knowledge of the actual number. It is a very tasty beer though.
  24. Friek is one of the best beers in America and their Woodcut series is tremendous as well.
    Geuzedad and JohnfromPurdue like this.
  25. Thirstygoat

Thirstygoat Savant (260) Illinois Nov 22, 2012

I drank my only bottle of Saboteur a few weeks ago. Very tasty, wish they'd make more.
    Geuzedad likes this.
  26. SFACRKnight

Odell has it listed at @ 250. That means you can drink at least two. :rolleyes:
  27. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,000) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

Going straight to the source in a few days.... can't frikkin wait I love their stuff.
    Geuzedad likes this.
  28. Hawkharvs

Hawkharvs Aficionado (215) Iowa Sep 9, 2012

Odell IPA is very underrated in my opinion, probably one of the best IPAs I've had.
  29. azorie

azorie Advocate (715) Florida Mar 18, 2006

You never miss what you never had.
  30. heesu

heesu Aficionado (155) Michigan Jul 2, 2012

Just found a bottle of saboteur in San Diego, somehow. Pretty stoked. A good buddy of mine went to CSU, so I've been enjoying Odell before I knew what good beer was. Loved having access to them when I lived in CO.
  31. stealth

stealth Advocate (545) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

Friek FtMFW
    rgfellow and Geuzedad like this.
  32. BeerWizard

BeerWizard Savant (325) Colorado Dec 22, 2012

I almost got the St. L tonight, but went for the IPA instead. Fing awesome.
  33. mwa423

mwa423 Savant (345) Ohio Nov 7, 2007

Been a long time BA but just now made it across the country and have been loving the O'Dell's I have gotten to try. Wish I had tried the IPA sooner. I'm on the west coast for about four more months and I'll definitely been picking up more of their stuff.
    Geuzedad likes this.
  34. SFACRKnight

Do yourself the favor and get some lupulin before its gone for the year.
    denver10 and Geuzedad like this.
  35. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Savant (440) Arizona Nov 14, 2010

I love O'Dells beers. Just picked up a couple of fresh Myrcenary 4 packs to enjoy this weekend. IMO a great brewery that puts out pretty solid stuff. And a plus 1 to the above comment about Lupulin. Spot on beer.
    denver10 likes this.
  36. tstigz

tstigz Savant (290) Illinois Dec 6, 2010

I've said it before, but they have the best artwork in craft beer. Love the embossed bottles too.
    denver10 and Geuzedad like this.
  37. So solid - consistently tasty and balanced offerings. The thing that gets me is how many different styles they do well - which brewery does it better? Founders, maybe?
  38. denver10

Not sure why but Saboteur remains my favorite of their Cellar Reserve releases that I have tried. The Meddler once it got some age on it is a very close second, but Saboteur remains my favorite. I remember last GABF there was a sudden re-emergence of it on the local shelves and I never grabbed a bottle, it still stings thinking about the poor decision I made there.
    heesu likes this.
  39. Got some Deconstruction last weekend along with one of those new variety packs.
    Always solid stuff.
  40. heesu

heesu Aficionado (155) Michigan Jul 2, 2012

Had a little taste of the meddler at FWIBF and it was one of my highlights from the day. Willing to give any Odell special release a shot at this point!