1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Odell's Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by denver10, May 9, 2012.

1. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,000) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

who resurrected this thread?!?!?!? :)

Bitterbill, heesu and denver10 like this.
  2. BeerMeInStl

BeerMeInStl Savant (465) Missouri Jan 26, 2013

I passed on the Odell IPA for quite a while for no good reason other than I kept hearing about all of these other beers that I needed to try. After having tried most of what's available here and a few others through trades, I finally picked up some Odell IPA a couple of weeks ago. Now that I've had it, I can't believe that I was passing on such an excellent IPA for so long. It's become one of my favorites, ranking up there with Jai Alai, Furious and Union Jack. Now I need to explore the rest of the Odell lineup since I've only had the IPA and Myrcenary (also excellent).
  3. mrcraft

mrcraft Advocate (595) California Dec 15, 2012

Yeah. I don't live in Odell's distribution area. But, I've tried the Odell IPA and Myrcenary DIPA. Both were fantastic!
  4. thanks Odell for bringing Footprint to the rare beer festival and for charging 20 dollars for mediocre bombers!!!
  5. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (820) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Don't miss out on Mountain Standard while it's out. It's a seasonal double black IPA.
    BeerMeInStl likes this.
  6. I really feel bad for you - must've been rough going to the rare beer tasting at GABF. Then you choose to buy a $20 bomber that you didn't like and you're disparaging the brewery? Come on!
  7. Come on! what? If I pay 100 dollars and every other brewery brings out an actually rare beer the least Odell can do is pull out a non shelf turd. And I don't pay for their bombers anymore unless I know I'll like the beer. Plus I have stories about their lack of customer service so I stand by what I said.
    TonyJ815 likes this.
  8. Oh, so you pay $100 to get in? Either way, sounds like you're a needy beer drinker.
    nickapalooza86 likes this.
  9. Love Odell by the way. As others have said, their regular lineup plus seasonals is incredible and as good as any brewery. All drinkable and balanced, but unique and full of flavor and depth. I crave it, so nice to see them getting their props. I only get it when visiting my in-laws in Golden, CO. They normally don't on BA because of their distribution and lack of whales or IRS's. Their tasting room beers are awesome as well.
  10. ok dude
  11. Odell (not O'Dell) is fantastic. Interestingly enough, I remember thinking of them as just an alright brewery back in 2000, when I first started getting into craft beer. I don't know if they've really kicked it up a notch in the last dozen years, or if I just didn't know what the hell I was talking about at that time. Either is entirely possible, although the latter is probably more likely...

Either way, it's one of my favorite breweries in Colorado, and it's probably in my top 10 favorite breweries overall.

In some ways, they remind me of Boulevard (or Boulevard reminds me of Odell) in that they both opened in 1989, they both have a stellar lineup of regular and seasonal beers, but also have a long list of outstanding "big" beers.

I can't list all the beers I've had from Odell that I like, but some of my favorites have been:

St. Lupulin
    5 Barrel
    Red
    Tree Shaker
    Friek
    DeConstruction
    Amuste
    Celastrina
    Myrcenary
    Lugene

The only two I haven't really cared for are the Double Pilsner and the Easy Street Wheat.

Recently I was lucky enough to try Wellspring (dry-hopped saison) on tap here in Kansas City. I really hope they decide to put that one into 750s--does anyone know if it's a new beer? It only has a couple dozen reviews on BA.

I also managed to get my hands on a bottle of The Meddler, so I'm excited to try that as well. Love me a good Oud Bruin. And lastly, I'm certainly looking forward to the Fernet-Aged Porter hitting shelves soon...
  12. CowsandBeer

CowsandBeer Savant (355) Kansas Sep 24, 2012

Cutthroat Porter is the one that started it all...
  13. I'll agree that their 4-6 pack beers are very good. But 20-30 dollars for stuff like their woodcut series is a bit steep imo.
  14. The Woodcut beers are expensive (which is part of the reason I've never had one), but the other "big" beers are pretty reasonable for 750s.
  15. for the quality I don't think so
  16. tzieser

tzieser Initiate (0) Arizona Nov 21, 2006

Not a big fan of 90 Schilling but I thought their IPA was pretty tasty. Personally I enjoyed St. Lupulin more than any of their other stuff. Cheers!
  17. I had some Odell Ipa on a trip to the Grand Canyon a year ago. Excellent beer! Going to be in Arizona again next summer, planning to stock up on some while I'm there .
  18. mariacha

mariacha Zealot (95) Colorado Jun 4, 2013

Wellspring is new this fall.
  19. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

Ooooooh...that's a bummer, like women with facial hair.
  20. lightman1

lightman1 Aficionado (135) Arkansas Oct 19, 2013

We visited their brewery and tasting room while we were in Ft Collins. Really great beer! Great outdoor area and that outdoor fire ring is awesome! I wish their beer was available here. Lightman
  21. RockAZ

RockAZ Savant (295) Arizona Jan 6, 2009

I had Wellspring on draft last night as well as their 5-Barrel on nitro draft - both were fine beers. A keg of their IPA is a standard at my house.
  22. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Savant (495) Colorado Aug 10, 2012

Best brewery in Colorado. There, I said it.
    SkeeterBoganski and PalatePilot like this.
  23. BeerMeInStl

BeerMeInStl Savant (465) Missouri Jan 26, 2013

Funny that you should mention that. I'm having a Mountain Standard right now and it's excellent! My favorite Black IPA. I need to pick up some more before it's gone.
    fredmugs likes this.
  24. DemoniChris

DemoniChris Savant (345) Nebraska Jun 4, 2013

Odell is very consistent in their styles and I am glad to have it in my distribution. I feel I take their IPA / DIPA for granted sometimes and I should buy them more often. St. Lupulin is my favorite pale ale so far, though, and it seems severely underrated on here.
  25. I'd like to try the porter but nothing else seems appealing to me
  26. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Savant (460) Wisconsin Jun 6, 2007

Myrcenary is maybe by favorite IIPA, and I love the St. Lupulin. The first time I had their IPA I didn't really care for it, but the past 2 times it has been great. Really like 90 schilling as well. Great brewery.
  27. Incorrect.

I realized that today after seeing 12 oz bottles in their fall/winter mixer 12-pack. It's a great offering--hopefully it'll make it into regular 4/6-packs.
  28. Their Woodcuts are a little expensive but I'm pretty sure #4 was the best lager ever made. That beer makes me laugh at people who say they don't like lagers.
  29. you're opinion, they make a lot of mediocre beers that are overpriced, it makes no sense people bitching about amazing barrel aged beers that the bruery puts out but for some reason Odell is off limits?
  30. I didn't say anything about being off-limits. FWIW, I think the complaints about The Bruery are absurd too.

EDIT: Except for the $30+ anniversary beers, but nothing Odell puts out is over $15 except for Woodcut.
  31. Ha, you called him an opinion.
    mariacha likes this.
  32. xVERITAS

xVERITAS Aficionado (235) Colorado Sep 14, 2013

I can get just about every Odell beer. I haven't tried them yet.

0_0
  33. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

odell makes great beer. have had several bottles from trading, loved every one.