1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

# of BTU's Needed for Homebrewing

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by msante79, Feb 9, 2013.

1. msante79

msante79 Initiate (0) Illinois Jun 11, 2006

So I have read that you need a burner that can put out 70k BTUs, but I have read posts where people are using turkey fryers from Menards. I can get a 40k BTO turkey fryer through my work for free with a points program we have. Just trying to get some clarification on this. Thanks in advance.
  2. ETCS

ETCS Initiate (20) Connecticut Feb 9, 2013

I started with a turkey frier and used it for 3+ years. I changed to a banjo burner about a year ago. Honestly the only difference is the time it takes come to a boil, much quicker with the banjo.
  3. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (640) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

Depends on how big of a batch you want to make, and your pot. If you are doing full boils, or partial extract boils.

Partial boils with extract.. Sure that would work great.

Should be okay for a 5 gallons batchs as well, with say.. a 12-15 gallon pot for full boils. Might take a bit to heat up, but will work.

I use a SP10 with a 20psi regulator, it's around 155K BTU, and heats up fast, and I have to keep it on the lowest setting to avoid boiling over.

Check the regulator on the fryer kit you are looking at, see what it puts out. Should work though.
  4. The energy from a heat stick goes into the liquid. The energy from a burner's flames has a low transfer coefficient to the metal, then to the liquid. For a burner a lot of energy goes to the surroundings. My garage would be much colder if I went to an electric brewery.

As for the OP - bigger is better. Faster heating if you want, and you can do bigger batches someday.
  5. Right. Guess I should have linked to the posts which say exactly that:
    http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/heatstick-awesome-142803/index6.html#post1629636
    http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/heatstick-awesome-142803/index7.html#post1630163

This is me being lazy and stopping at pg 7. I remember more discussion of this nature in the later pages
  6. msante79

msante79 Initiate (0) Illinois Jun 11, 2006

I am going to do 5 gal all grain batches. I think the turkey fryer is 40k BTUs and it is essentially free vs spending $100 for a banjo fryer. Would like to spend that money elsewhere if possible. Actually while I have your attention what are the essential things I have to buy to do all grain other than the burner, fermenting buckets, grain mill, kettle, racking cane, bottles, capper?
  7. Don't confuse regulator pressure with BTU output. A 100K BTU low pressure burner, for example, will deliver the same heat as a 100K BTU high pressure burner, just as a 100W 120VAC light bulb will be just as bright as a 100W 220VAC bulb. But you're right -- a 40K burner should be adequate. I would recommend a wind screen if it's going to be used outdoors, though.
  8. mountsnow1010

mountsnow1010 Savant (360) Vermont Jan 23, 2009

I have the Bayou SP10 and had no trouble bringing water to strike temp in an aluminum kettle in 15 or so minutes. Post mash it took maybe 10 minutes to get a rolling boil....maybe less.
  9. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

For me some of the better buys (not necessessarily for AG) were: Taylor digital thermometer (cheap), Harbor Freight scale (cheap), 1/2" auto siphon, a valve and diptube for the brewkettle ($$). In terms of time savers if you are bottling a vinator is a massive time saver. A bench capper is also a huge upgrade from a wing capper (for not too much more money.)

I also love the hop spider (made from about $10 in parts from the hardware store.) Again, not just for AG, but I decided to do a recent batch without the hop spider to see how it went and I have to say that I'll not be trying that again (a shit-ton of hop material made it from the kettle to the fermenter in spite of a lot of whirlpooling.)
    Welcome to all grain sir - it's
  10. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (790) Texas May 21, 2010

You'll obviously need a mash tun. :rolleyes:

A turkey fryer is fine for 5 gallons batches. I have one and it works great. Actually, now I have two (inherited an old one, cleaned it up and it also works fine). If you want to brew 10 gallons or more consider something bigger and better.