1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

% of dextrine/cara-pils?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by jessemorris, Sep 6, 2012.

1. jessemorris

jessemorris Zealot (75) Florida May 27, 2009

When you're formulating a recipe, what % of your grain bill are these malts generally? I feel like I always err on the side of caution (1-2%) but I'm not sure if that's even doing anything. Any advice would help.

I generally use this malt in pale ales or IPAs, if that helps.
  2. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Advocate (535) Minnesota May 11, 2007

Really depends on the recipe. Are you using other crystal malts? What yeast is being used? There is really no rule on it.
  3. Just depends on what you're brewing and what other malts are in your recipe. For a basic pale ale with decent body, I would probably use about 5% dextrine and 5-10% crystal.

It's not unheard-of, but not all that common, to use dextrine malt in an IPA. If you're going for dry, West-coast style, I wouldn't use more than a couple % points and would only do so for head retention, but you're getting that from hops too anyway, if I'm not mistaken.
  4. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

I don't usually use any in APAs/IPAs. No issues with foam retention. I tend to use carapils (or carafoam, etc.) in low hopped styles.

But I would ask... you're using 1-2%... are you happy with the result? If so, keep doing it. Or if you need to satisfy your curiosity, brew a batch exactly the same way, but without the carapils and see.
  5. I usually use none. I prefer to brew pale ales and I don't like them too chewy. My typical grain bill is 8-10# of 2-row.