1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Off batch of Yeti?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by sprucetip, Dec 31, 2012.

1. sprucetip

sprucetip Advocate (510) Alaska Nov 13, 2007

I love Yeti in all its incarnations, and will not (yet) be dissuaded from procuring it whenever possible. It ranks up there with Abyss, Darkness, BCS, Expedition, KBS/CBS, Berzerker and so on as one of my favorite versions of one of my favorite styles. But the Oak Aged Yeti, bottled on 9-11-12, was drain pour nasty, and I am not a drain pour kind of guy. It was not infected, but it exhumed excruciatingly harsh black-patent astringency and bitterness. We could taste nothing else. My brother and I could not finish a bomber of it. Not even close. Anyone else notice this? We had had a Belgian Yeti a few days before and it was glorious.

Again, I suspect this to be an aberration, and won't hesitate to score more Yeti (with a different bottled on date) in the future. But curious if anyone else had noticed this.

2. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

3. I've had 2 bottles with the same date, and finished both like a boss.

Sorry, can't confirm your experience.
    Have 2 more bottled on 9/11/12 & 1 bottled on 9/18/12 in cellar.

4. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Savant (485) Florida May 29, 2011

Give them feedback directly. That's the best thing you can do as a consumer so they can look back and analyze in their process what might have happened and to prevent it in the future.

5. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Savant (485) Florida May 29, 2011

Maybe try another bottle with the same bottle date before though just to make sure..

6. sprucetip

Thanks for the input. I have no interest in dissing on Great Divide or anything like that, just curious. I'm not pissed or anything, just curious. As a home brewer, I understand that replication is challenging, even for the pro's.

7. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Top 5 beer for me right there, had one from (i believe) same bottle date, twas fine.

8. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (495) Texas Sep 7, 2004

I recently drained poured a bottle as well. Tasted like burnt caramal and not in a good way.

9. sprucetip

our bottles shared the burnt characteristic. But mine was so burnt that I didn't get the caramel....

10. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (495) Texas Sep 7, 2004

The funny thing was we did a blind tasting and when the bag came off I was shocked.

11. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Someone is losing their job. :(