1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Off style by a mile?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DIM, Apr 25, 2013.

1. DIM

DIM Advocate (735) Pennsylvania Sep 28, 2006

I'm currently enjoying Full Sail's Brewer's Share Vendell's Veizen. It's a pretty tasty malt bomb and a pleasure to drink. The only problem is that they call it a weizenbock. This doesn't look, taste, or smell anything like a weizenbock. No bananas, cloves, bubblegum, or esters. And it was filtered. It's about as far off-style as you can get.

Has anyone else had something they liked even though it ranged far from style guidelines?

2. estlinska

estlinska Savant (270) Arkansas Sep 30, 2010

The big question would be, how do you rate it? Do you rate it high cuz it's tasty and you like it? Or do you rate it low because it's nothing like the style it claims to be?

Eriktheipaman and denver10 like this.
  3. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,145) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

The Class of '88 Barleywine, Deschutes version. Not anywhere near a BW in my book and no, I did not enjoy it Doesn't quite mesh with what you're asking but I had to say it.:(

4. DIM

DIM Advocate (735) Pennsylvania Sep 28, 2006

5. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,130) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Yeah, that's what I do. Say that I really like the beer, and that it would have gotten a higher score if I thought it had been closer to style.

6. Just about any American brewery that calls their Wheat ale 'Hefeweizen'. There are exceptions, as Sierra Nevada's Kellerweis is a great example of the style.

DIM and beertunes like this.
  7. The style American Strong Ale bugs me. "Catch all style category for beers from 7.0 percent alcohol by volume and above." Oh, OK, a style that has nothing to do with flavor, type of grain, yeats or hops just ABV. So now Arrogant Bastard Ale and Double Dead Guy Ale are in the same category. These beers are nowhere close to each other in flavor. I have a problem with that.

8. KS1297

KS1297 Initiate (0) Wisconsin Apr 14, 2013

I dont think its a cop out. Your review was pretty fair. If they want to call it a weizenbock its gotta roughly fit the style guidelines.

9. KS1297

KS1297 Initiate (0) Wisconsin Apr 14, 2013

Its more like a category for beers with stupid names. Those two fit perfectly. :D

10. Brenden

Brenden Champion (815) Ohio Feb 25, 2008

That's the hard question. I tend to land somewhere right in between, though I tend to be more gracious if it's just too good not to.

11. Brewers can call a beer anything they want. That doesn't mean it conforms to standard, agreed upon beer judging guidelines.

barleywinefiend and TMoney2591 like this.
  12. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (445) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

Mississippi Mud. You can't put black and tan in a bottle. :)

hopsbreath likes this.
  13. I like RUN DMC but they are a rap group, do they really belong in the rock and roll hall of fame? Wait, what were we talking about?

14. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (445) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

Hennepin Saison is a wheat beer. A damn tasty wheat beer.

15. estlinska

estlinska Savant (270) Arkansas Sep 30, 2010

Personally, I am trying to give better marks to beers that are good representative of their style more than if I like it. If I think that the beer is true to style and I really like it, then that's worthy of upper 4 point ratings. In this way, I'm hoping to be able to rate some of the lesser styles (browns, ambers, hefes, etc, etc) that seem to get lost in the jungle of stouts, DIIPAs, and various whales of this site. "Boring" beers deserve high ratings too, so I'm trying to get better.

If I don't like a certain beer style, like most Brett beers and a lot of barleywines, then I will just not review it. To me, it just wouldn't be fair to rate something a drain-pour when I really just don't like that particular style.

dalepryor likes this.
  16. OP, I had that beer as well and it wasnt bad but I dont remember it being that memorable. I dont remember banana or cloves so I guess I agree with you.

17. If they made a ton of $$$ for record company execs, then they belong in the "hall of fame".

By the same token, I'm sure Widmer made a ton of dough making hefeweizen- I wouldn't put too much stock in labels these days. ;)

Uniobrew31 likes this.
  18. I know someone who will no longer drink anything from Pretty Things because they don't brew to style.

19. SaCkErZ9

SaCkErZ9 Champion (825) Florida Feb 27, 2005

I think all style guidelines are becoming more muddled and mixed. White IPA, Imperial Red, Extra Pale Ale, Bacon Porter, they are all starting to run together. I no longer adhere strictly to BA's classification, rather judge it by good beer or bad beer.

decimator and teraflx like this.
  20. Poorly rating a beer that wasn't to style has always struck me as odd. Style guidelines are.... guidelines. They were also applied retroactively to beers already being made. i.e.- too malty to be a pale ale! I give it a 2!

Where is the line exactly???? Totally arbitrary!

not all beers have to hit ANY guideline... it can just get fit in as best it can (the same way Michael Jackson did when he created a lot of beer styles in the 80s)

In this case though, I think there is a bit of false advertising. Anything that claims to be a hefeweizen or weizenbock should have the distinct yeast profile that is indicative of the style. In any case, I would note that it is not to style in my review and rate it on the categories provided, not the style.

21. Pale ales and IPAs are close cousins as far as styles go so maybe this isn't all that far off but Dale's Pale Ale is an IPA imo, not a pale ale.

22. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (865) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Three Floyds: where Zombie Dust, and especially Permanent Funeral, are considered Pale Ales.