1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Off-taste: Tyranena Who's Your Daddy? :(

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by psychotia, Mar 15, 2013.

1. psychotia

psychotia Savant (375) Minnesota Jun 27, 2009

Before I get torched, this is not a "omg it's all infected" thread.

I opened my first (& second to last, thankfully) bottle of this tonight, to find a sour, tart nose overpowering most everything else (cue flashback: last year's Peruvian Morning). It carries over into the taste somewhat, giving a slightly vegetal and tart taste, with a thinner mouthfeel. I do hope this is isolated, but I'd like to hear other experiences. Please chime in!

2. burica2020

burica2020 Savant (400) Illinois Nov 17, 2009

Cue Tim and Eric......all the beer is poison, all the beer is poison.

Did you try another bottle? Was it one isolated bottle or the whole four pack? Sometimes strong oak can come off as sour to some folk.

3. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (755) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

Different experience for us.

We had bottles right away & they were simply divine.

We each popped another last weekend & it was...changed. Still roasty, but the bourbon was almost gone, & the body was indeed thinner.

There's something going on, but I'm not sure what it is. But I won't let our last two bottles sit any longer.

4. crossovert

crossovert Champion (790) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

Bottles I had (incl one maybe 3 week ago) were not infected but precariously thin.

5. There's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear.

gpawned, DooshBagalow and Skye1024 like this.
  6. greg357

greg357 Aficionado (100) Wisconsin Jun 18, 2010

There's a man with a beer over there, tellin' me I've got to beware...

7. Drank alot of this beer fresh. Loved it fresh. Havent had a bottle for a month or two. Maybe I better crack a bottle and report back, but I had no inclinking that this beer was infected. I hope that I find nothing but awesomeness when I crack another bottle because the tyranenna BGW series beers normally get better with some age. I can report back.

8. jmarsh123

jmarsh123 Advocate (535) Indiana Mar 31, 2010

I just had one Wednesday and it was one of the best beers I've had in a while. I never had it super fresh to compare, but it drank great.

9. Last time I've probably had one was about a month ago, and it still had a great flavor then. I think it's held up very well so far - even if it's not built for extended aging, I'll still probably sit on a couple because I don't want my cellar to be without the Tyranena BB love.

4DAloveofSTOUT likes this.
  10. I have found that almost all tyranena barrel aged beers in the BGW series get nice a silky mouthfeel and remain very tasty with 8-12 months on a bottle. I got a 4pk of who's your daddy stashed away for later...I think it will be amazing soon:)

jakethesnake9z9z likes this.
  11. Drinking one as I type, definitely not the same beer as it was fresh. It may well be showing signs of infection, as there is an ever so slight cherry/off taste that certainly wasn't there in the last bottle I drank a couple months ago. Unfortunate, as I have a 4-pack left and I really enjoyed this beer and was looking forward to seeing how it developed.

12. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

I have 2 left in my cellar. I drank the first one right away and the second sometime in Nov; both were fantastic. Too bad I didn't see this about 30 min ago because I would have been curious enough to open one up. Drinking a milk stout for my last beer of the evening.

13. jverdo1

jverdo1 Aficionado (145) Illinois Apr 5, 2012

I opened one tonight and to be honest - I think the BB taste has decreased and the beer is actually drinking alittle smoother now!

14. Reporting back as I drink a bottle now. The verdict...drink them immediately if you have any bottles. The nose has an obvious sour cherry note. The taste is starting to show some sour cherry. And this beer has gotten a bot thinner. As much as I hate to say it, but I think that the OP is right and he called it like it is...infection is starting in this beer.:eek::( Who's your daddy isnt aging like it should be; based on the several vintage BWG series beers from tyranenna that I have tried in the past. i was honestly looking forward to a silky and mellow version of this beer in about a years time, but I just dont see the beer going in that direction. Drink if you still got'em!

15. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Drinking my final 2 bottles. I don't know if it is an infection; but the booze has decreased significantly. That said, I liked it much more fresh.

Edit: The more I drink the more I think that it is more mellow and smooth. I don't think there is any sign of infection.

16. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (855) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Looks like we can chalk it up to bottle variation.

17. That or people being unsure of their palate and what infection is.

MadRyan and Bay01 like this.
  18. Stevedore

True, just have to look at that Nightstalker infected? thread to make you wonder about this.

19. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

I've heard of one other similar experience. I opened one about 2 weeks ago to see if it was rampant, but my bottle was still sublime. Opening a couple more this weekend, will update if anything is off

20. jegross2

You coming Sat?

21. jegross2

Finally cracked that bottle, eh?

22. What going on this saturday!?! Gotta keep me in the loop!

23. misterid

misterid Savant (270) Wisconsin Apr 3, 2009

or being unaware that perception of tastes changes based on what you've eaten/drank previously

"ZOMG I 8 GHOST PPR CHILLE'S 4 DNR N NOW M DRANKING A SNPA BUT DA HOPZ R GON! DRANEPORE!11!"

24. Dactrius

Dactrius Savant (475) Wisconsin Apr 23, 2012

I cracked one open tonight. It's nowhere near peruvian morning bad (I powered through 6 of those) but it's not nearly as good as it once was and has some definite off notes. It certainly seems like an infection to me, just a very slow moving one. I'm taking my last 3 out of the cellar and putting them in the fridge.

Also, I'd like to apologize for extraing those in some trades...I didn't know.

25. jegross2

just cracked one, no sign of infection. 2 more ear marked for this weekend.

26. Just cracked another bottle from a separate 4-pack, this one does not show signs of infection. With that said, this beer has definitely dropped off from what it was fresh. Wish I had drunk all of mine sooner.

27. Stevedore

So... with Tyranena brews would one say its generally better to drink fresh?

28. jegross2

Opened 2 last night at Chicago Beer Lovers event. Both definitely had off flavors. BOO.

29. pk18

pk18 Savant (290) Wisconsin Jun 12, 2012

I opened one last night with two other BAs. It tasted different than when it was fresh, but I'm not sure if I tasted any signs of an infection.

30. I can assure all that Psychotia knows his beer... I have not had "Who's Your Daddy" but I trust his opinion in this matter...
    (not an issue of "ZOMG I 8 GHOST PPR CHILLE'S 4 DNR N NOW M DRANKING A SNPA BUT DA HOPZ R GON! DRANEPORE!11!")

31. Dactrius

I'm assuming some of the variability is probably related to storage conditions as well. Mine were kept at 55F so they're going to go bad far faster than people who kept their bottles in the fridge, but not as bad as those folks just keeping them in a closet. There was a massive difference in my bottles of peruvian morning last year between the bottles in the fridge and the cellar.

32. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

Last year's PM also suffered from infection (not ALL of it, but ya know). ;)

I kept mine in the fridge but none of them made it. :(

33. Dactrius

All of my Peruvian went bad, but the ones in the cellar were much worse.

34. psychotia

psychotia Savant (375) Minnesota Jun 27, 2009

Appreciate the vote of confidence, DarkLord ;)

I just observed my OP says "I opened my first..." which makes it appear I hadn't had the beer before; in fact I had this beer several times since the release... guess I just got lazy with semantics in my OP. This was the first bottle I had with any off flavors.

I wish the best of luck to those with any bottles left; drink it up now while it still may be legit!!!!!!!!